PDA

View Full Version : building steps out of foundation block?

Stringblade
08-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a customer who cant afford versalock and does not want wood ties for her steps. So what I was thinking is to use foundation block 6" rise and
16"deep for only $1.50 per block. I plan to use two coarses for each step. (Meaning bury one then stack on top)I have done this before this way before with 8" foundation block. does it matter how steep the hill is when choosing your rise height?

DVS Hardscaper
08-21-2006, 08:33 AM
You can build steps with just about anything imagionable. Whether you're stackin pennies until you get 'em 6-inches high, or makin steps outta logs or bales of straw.

Building steps with masonry block will work, and if it's in West-By-God, it'll look really really nice, specailly infront of a doublewide!

XXL Hardscaper
08-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Yep look real nice over here.......look good acroos da river to dare in Washinton county.

Mike33
08-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Yep look real nice over here.......look good acroos da river to dare in Washinton county.
You guys must have broad shoulders. I border Mineral county W.Va and do a fair amount of work over there.
Mike

Mike33
08-21-2006, 09:20 PM
You can build steps with just about anything imagionable. Whether you're stackin pennies until you get 'em 6-inches high, or makin steps outta logs or bales of straw.

Building steps with masonry block will work, and if it's in West-By-God, it'll look really really nice, specailly infront of a doublewide!
I was in your part of the country today coming home from ocean City, and had a flat tire what a pain in the ass.
Mike

hickslawns
08-22-2006, 12:25 AM
I better not tell you guys about my back door steps or I will be tormented forever. I will post pics when I am done with the remodeling, but for now my rigged up steps will work. And yes, there are some foundation blocks in there. . . and railroad ties. . . and the old poured steps. . .and ???

I think if the budget calls for foundation blocks, then do what you gotta do, but don't be too proud of it, and drive an unlettered truck to the jobsite. If this is what the customer wants, I have to admit i have put in some things for customers I have not agreed with.

Mike33
08-22-2006, 09:46 PM
We go to work for one reason , TO MAKE MONEY! My size company i am fortunate to have and be able to pick a lot of my work. But i have a soft side also there are times i have and im sure you have , took care of some one who could not afford top shelf. I never have been ashamed but wish i could have had better to work with. I have done plenty new yard installs where young and older couples spent all of there money on over budget of new home and could not afford a wheel barrel of top soil. I have graded and graded, raked and raked to take care of them to give them a yard. And hell sometimes they grew better than top soiled yards. Hicks, do what you got to do at times. And thanks for your respectful reply in the hardscaping forum.
Mike