PDA

View Full Version : Fas Trak vs Ram Mag

whiteboy
08-21-2006, 10:50 AM
New Hustler Fas Trak 52 w/ 20 HP Kohler ($4500)
New Dixon Ram 50 Mag w/ 20 HP Kohler ($5000)

Is there any reason to shell out the extra $500 for the Dixon? Looks like I am trading a cloth seat and head lights for 2" of cut and 0.5 mph...

I am a home owner cutting 3.5 acres

Thanks for your opinions!

martinfan06
08-21-2006, 10:57 AM
For my money hustler the way to go.

Brendan Smith
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
hustler all the way. check out their website, also do a search here for dixon and huster, you'll see mixed reviews on the dixon, but almost no negative comments on the hustler. what few problems they have had have all been quickly and professionally addressed.

dfischer
08-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Dixon's do get questioned. Still, I've no real knowledge against them.

I don't know the Ram, so you'll have to evaluate these two on your own:

Ride? Wheel size does matter..

Pump? I think the huster, respected though it is, is based on an integrated pump/motor.

nmurph
08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Dixon's do get questioned. Still, I've no real knowledge against them.

I don't know the Ram, so you'll have to evaluate these two on your own:

Ride? Wheel size does matter..

Pump? I think the huster, respected though it is, is based on an integrated pump/motor.
as is the dixon. then when you look at the reputation, warranty and factory support, the decision should be much clearer.

dfischer
08-21-2006, 01:16 PM
If'n thats true, I'd agree.

whiteboy
08-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Dixon Ram 50 Mag:
11 x 4 x 5 smooth (front)
18 x 9.5 x 8 turf (back)

Fas Trak
11 x 4 x 5 rib tread (front)
18 x 9.5 x 8 turf (back)

I think both units have Dual hydrostatic, Hydro-Gear IZT transmissions

cranesrule
08-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Your difference is the engine, twin on the Dixon and sinlgle on the Hustler. However, you should be able to get that Hustler with a V Twin Honda for less than the 5k you have listed on the Dixon. Shop around. Also, look at the Hustler warranty and read up on Hustler service on this site. Your decision will be made for you, and you will own a yellow mower.

Jason Rose
08-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Iv'e owned dixons forever and defend on here a lot... However here we actually ARE comparing apples to apples. two machines, nearly exactly the same size, engines, hydros, just one is 2" more cut then the other... The cloth seat IS really nice in the hot summer sun... The headlights? Well do you really mow in the dark ever?

Hustler makes a really nice machine, I have never ran one, but I can't say that I'm all that impressed with the Ram dixons either. All in all I would lean towards the HUSTLER here. As long as you aren't looking at a grass catcher. The hustler catchers are a JOKE compared to Dixons tried and true design.

**Edit** I guess I didn't realize that the engines ARE different, single cyl. on the hustler and Twin on the Dixon. I had no idea they even made a single cyl. in a 20hp. Those are those ageis engines correct? Some sort of a "cheaper" kohler geared towards the homeowner market to get costs down. NOT my preference... Like the above poster, I'd look into the twin honda for about the same price as the dixon. Then you have the dixon beat.

cranesrule
08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
The single cylinder Kohler is a Courage. It is a residential model whereas the Honda is a commercial V-Twin.

whiteboy
08-28-2006, 10:13 AM
I ordered the FasTrak with the Hoda twin! I'll let everyone know how I like it. It should be delivered on Wednsday.

Thanks for the Help!

Grass Kickin
09-02-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a Super Z 52" with a Kawasaki 23hp and a 44" Mini Z with a 20 HP Kohler. Both are extremely reliable.

My brother in law has a 50" Dixon Kodiak. It is a comfortable ride but the problems he's had with hydraulic pumps are all too frequent. Go with the Hustler and never look back.