PDA

View Full Version : shocks?

mike lane lawn care
08-22-2006, 01:43 AM
i might have to replace the rear shocks on my van before winter this year. It currently has air shocks, adjustable from 20 PSI to 150 PSI. my question is should i replace them with a new set of air shocks or so i neede a special kind for doing work?

thanks.

Scag48
08-22-2006, 05:39 AM
I'd just get your everyday struts. Cheap and get the job done. You're not building an offroad monster so you don't need any special shocks. I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean by air shocks, because air BAGS would have to be controlled by a compressor/air tank on the van. I think you have adjustable struts and you're not sure what they are. Maybe you can specify a little more? There are struts out there that are nitrogen charged and are adjustable, is that what you have? Either way, a regular, non adjustable strut would be just fine for a van. Like I said, it's not like you're fine tuning the suspension, but you have a me a little curious as to what you have running underneath there right now.

mike lane lawn care
08-22-2006, 10:59 AM
this is what i know. they are monroe air shcoks, you can increase pressure by plugging an air compressor into a valve at the back of the van. the valve is like a tire valve stem, then it goes into tubes which go into the shocks. i tried letting the pressure out some, and the van lowered a few inches for better handling. then i inflated them almost to thier max PSI and i had a huge amount of ground clearance in the back. it is for heavy loads or heavy towing. say you go to home depot and buy 1500 lbs of brick, then you take a 12v. compressor and fill up the shocks to get your level ride height back.

the suspension looks really simple, not complex like the jeep's.

thanks for the reply scag48

Scag48
08-22-2006, 03:13 PM
I guess you could replace them and put exactly what you had back on there unless cost was an issue. They probably won't be too much more expensive than a standard non adjustable strut.