PDA

View Full Version : Power Raking Prices

cddva
08-22-2006, 11:50 PM
I would appreciate hearing what you guys charge (or how you charge) for Harley Raking a yard for lawn prep and also what is your Standard Operating Procedure (i.e. go over yard first and remove rocks and debris and then spread and rake topsoil/compost/etc.)? I need to give an estimate to power rake a yard that's about 1 acre; no trees, no sprinklers but does slope pretty good around some of the perimeter. Owner is supplying compost mix that I will spread and rake and he will seed yard on his own. I'm strictly power raking. Thanks.

Fordsuvparts
08-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Just charge him by the hour, plus your Equipment fee. ( Mine is $150) That will get the skidloader on site, and then by the hour. Around here we get aleast $50 for basic skidloader work, so with the rake, maybe $75.00 per hour. This might sound cheap to some or to high but fuel is $3 gallon. Sounds like a 1/2 day job tops. Good luck.

Scag48
08-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Our Harley is $90 an hour. Bidding these kind of jobs is just a little too difficult, there's too many factors. We charge by the hour to rake and it works well for us.

olderthandirt
08-23-2006, 01:32 AM
10 cents a sq. ft just to prep for seed.

Scag48
08-23-2006, 01:41 AM
I bid one job and lost my @$$ raking. Hit a bunch of cobble about 6" down that I had to rake out and then remove. It's a bit like excavation really, make it known that if you find rock you will be compensated for it's removal if you're on a set bid price.

dccarling
08-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't like to work for a hourly rate or at least not let the customer know my hourly rate. I would charge 1200-1400 for the prep, machine work only the customer would have to hand rake around the foundation, walk, drive and trees as well as seed, fertilize & mulch. Taking your time and doing a superb job should take ~6 hours depending how much material you have to spread and how much grading needs to done but even if things don't go as smooth as you think and it takes 10 hours you won't lose. I wish I could get 10 cents a sq/ft for a prep on that size job, I can only imagine what the customer would say handing them a bill for over 4,000. for even a full days work.

olderthandirt
08-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I can only imagine what the customer would say handing them a bill for over 4,000. for even a full days work.[/QUOTE]

They usually say - dam you guys are good-- &-- fast :) The payment part is on the contract and no where does it state how long we have to spend to do the job.

coney12
08-24-2006, 12:18 AM
im doing a 1 1/2 acre property with my T5 harley rake and a TC33da.
it took me just to harley rake about 10-11 hours just to break the surface.
about 3 inches. let me tell you be carefull, i hit a big stone and i broke a master link. which is located inside the cover. it only 6-7 months old,and was shocked that it had sheared.so run it slow for the first couple of passes.what im going to start doing is walk the area and pix ax all the big stones out, then harley rake. most likely you will run into debris,so you inform the client that any trash will be left on premise and that for a fee you could remove it.
BE CAREFULL, do not give them a price until all the debris has been piled,
because you dont know how much come out.If you do, then they will hold it to you.as for pricing, dont give them an hourly rate.to me that shows a lack of experience!! and unprofessional. dont forget to call diggers hotline

olderthandirt
08-24-2006, 12:27 AM
im doing a 1 1/2 acre property with my T5 harley rake and a TC33da.
it took me just to harley rake about 10-11 hours just to break the surface.
about 3 inches. let me tell you be carefull, i hit a big stone and i broke a master link. which is located inside the cover. it only 6-7 months old,and was shocked that it had sheared.so run it slow for the first couple of passes.what im going to start doing is walk the area and pix ax all the big stones out, then harley rake. most likely you will run into debris,so you inform the client that any trash will be left on premise and that for a fee you could remove it.
BE CAREFULL, do not give them a price until all the debris has been piled,
because you dont know how much come out.If you do, then they will hold it to you.as for pricing, dont give them an hourly rate.to me that shows a lack of experience!! and unprofessional. dont forget to call diggers hotline

Weld some RR spikes to an I beam and make yourself a ground breaker or buy a pulverizer. 10-11 hrs to harley rake 1-1/2 acres is hard to believe, we do that in a couple hrs.

coney12
08-24-2006, 03:37 PM
first off, i have no reason to lie! second,I have a 5 footer harley rake. I dont know if your aware, but glenmac makes differt sizes..third, how can you tell me that it could be done in a couple of hours.finally, why would i go out and buy a pulverizer, when i have a harly rake?:confused:

olderthandirt
08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
first off, i have no reason to lie! second,I have a 5 footer harley rake. I dont know if your aware, but glenmac makes differt sizes..third, how can you tell me that it could be done in a couple of hours.finally, why would i go out and buy a pulverizer, when i have a harly rake?:confused:

OK let me rephrase what I said. 1st; You must not have any Idea of how to run a harley rake if your spending 10-11 hrs on an 1-1/2 acres
2nd; I'm aware of all the sizes available for a 33 hp tractor and I also know what the tractors capable of using. I own the differnt sizes and tractors and have used them on thousands of properties 3rd; see 1st if you can only " break the surface" in that many hrs. it must be extremly hard and if you would loosen it a little you would not be spending a day on a few hr. job thats why I suggested you buy a pulverizer :dizzy:

dccarling
08-24-2006, 11:18 PM
olderthandirt,

I agree with you that the job can be done quickly with a Harley rake. I've always had tractors except for the past 2 years when I switched to an ASV RC-100 with a MX8 Harley rake and I have been accused of making the job look to easy and finishing to fast many times. My question to the customer is Would you feel better if I brought an old tractor with a york rake and spent a couple of days to try to get the same seed bed prep? I have been trying to slow myself down a little, make a couple passes see what it looks like and adjust from there. Some 40-50K sq/ft areas can be done in a couple of hours, but I have never been able to bid 10 cents a sq/ft for that size job.
You must be doing something right, I am willing to learn. Must be nice to get 4 or 5 thousand for 1/2 of a days work.

olderthandirt
08-24-2006, 11:37 PM
olderthandirt,

I agree with you that the job can be done quickly with a Harley rake. I've always had tractors except for the past 2 years when I switched to an ASV RC-100 with a MX8 Harley rake and I have been accused of making the job look to easy and finishing to fast many times. My question to the customer is Would you feel better if I brought an old tractor with a york rake and spent a couple of days to try to get the same seed bed prep? I have been trying to slow myself down a little, make a couple passes see what it looks like and adjust from there. Some 40-50K sq/ft areas can be done in a couple of hours, but I have never been able to bid 10 cents a sq/ft for that size job.
You must be doing something right, I am willing to learn. Must be nice to get 4 or 5 thousand for 1/2 of a days work.

I explain to a customer that to have a healthy prolific looking lawn takes time and proper prep. 1" of loosened soil will not provide the results most people want, the soil needs to be loosened to a depth of 6" so that as compaction happens from the watering it happens at a much slower rate, giving the roots time to grow downward rather than just under the surface. Most customers can follow logical thinking and grasp the concept that the deeper the prep the better the lawn will germinate and grow. I carry 2 clear glasses with me, 1 I crumple up some of there soil and place it in and add water and push my finger to the bottom in the mud. The 2nd I fill with as much hard pack as I can gather and do the same and as you know the results are not the same, and the customer can see for themselves the difference. Visual aids are the best selling point.

Thats why I suggested using more than just a Harley rake or hound. Neither will dig deep enough to get the great germination thats needed to make a luxurious lawn. And it allows me to charge 10 cents a sq. ft. and get it.payup

dccarling
08-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks Mac,

Makes sense to me, do you roto-till first then power rake?

Doug

olderthandirt
08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Mac,

Makes sense to me, do you roto-till first then power rake?

Doug

No just an old I beam with some RR spikes welded to it for 1 trac and a pulverizer with extra long blades for another trac. The gound is usually dry and either will break it up and powder it pretty fast. They have a bar with teeth for a skid that will do the same. Once you start just raking with the Harley all the debri is lose and your working with poder so its easier on the rake and a lot faster since all your really doing is raking and not "tilling" :waving:

bobbyg18
08-25-2006, 09:48 PM
i'll be trying out my first landscape rake job on tues or wed next week...i gave a lowball bid just to get the experience on this attachment; im renting a landscape rake for $150...and charging $450 for around 12,000 sq ft...

i'll post back my results...

dozerman21
08-28-2006, 11:15 AM
No just an old I beam with some RR spikes welded to it for 1 trac and a pulverizer with extra long blades for another trac. The gound is usually dry and either will break it up and powder it pretty fast. They have a bar with teeth for a skid that will do the same. Once you start just raking with the Harley all the debri is lose and your working with poder so its easier on the rake and a lot faster since all your really doing is raking and not "tilling"

Olderthandirt-

I have an old I beem that I've been planning on doing the same thing to. I've heard that works great. Would you mind posting a picture of yours. or describe how you made it? I would just like to know how far apart the spikes are, where you mounted the chains, etc... I'm pulling mine with my dozer. I might use some old ripper teeth if I can find enough laying around.

Any info is appreciated!:drinkup: