PDA

View Full Version : cold air induction kits

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 01:03 AM
anyone have them installed on their gas trucks? any improvements in power, motor sound or fuel economy that are noticable? and also what brand do you have?

thanks
mike

xcopterdoc
08-23-2006, 01:18 AM
I install what ever my customer wants insalled. After all.. they have searched the internet and talked to all their tuner buds.. so they know what they want.
Cold air kits are BS.... save yur $$$$$$
But hey... if ya don't believe me... shell out the bucks and do some REAL gas mileage testing and report back on yur findings.
Nothing like doing the R&D on yur dime eh!

Scag48
08-23-2006, 01:23 AM
Just put a K&N replacement panel filter on your truck just because it'll last forever as long as you clean it with the oil and take good care of it. Don't do it beucase of the HP gains, the sound, the fuel economy, those are all gimicks. Cold air intakes are stupid unless you actually have an induction hood. I think those kids with Honda's are hilarious, they put a cold air intake on their car so that they have a cone filter not shielded from heat in a hot engine compartment. After you do that, seems to me that the charge air would be hotter, not cooler.

The K&N replacement filters doesn't give you any more performance, they just allow you to spend $60 on a filter that will last more than a few thousand miles, that's all.

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 01:25 AM
ok then, what would you suggest for parts or kits to improve gas mileage and/or engine power. yes i realize that a lot of parts that increase hp will make fuel mileage worse. I just need suggestions for both. if that makes sense!!lol

thanks
mike

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Just put a K&N replacement panel filter on your truck just because it'll last forever as long as you clean it with the oil and take good care of it. Don't do it beucase of the HP gains, the sound, the fuel economy, those are all gimicks.
ok, will deffinatly do that, how can you beat a lifetime filter!!!! any idea on how much those cost?

thanks

Scag48
08-23-2006, 01:30 AM
$60, but don't get a cold air induction kit. If anyone found out you put one on that truck, no offense man, but they'd probably rip on you forever. :drinkup: It's a good truck for what you're using it for, but I wouldn't go out and spend a bunch of money trying to charge it up.

See this is the part where you save your money by not putting crap on your work truck so that when the day comes to buy a nice weekend ride you have a little extra. I'm a real fan of Audi, the girls love 'em :laugh:

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 01:39 AM
$60, but don't get a cold air induction kit. If anyone found out you put one on that truck, no offense man, but they'd probably rip on you forever. :drinkup: It's a good truck for what you're using it for, but I wouldn't go out and spend a bunch of money trying to charge it up.

See this is the part where you save your money by not putting crap on your work truck so that when the day comes to buy a nice weekend ride you have a little extra. I'm a real fan of Audi, the girls love 'em :laugh:
lol, yea, i agree, just want to make it mine in some slight way, nothing huge. $58.99 for the K&N for my truck, should have checked autozone before i asked! What dad and i are doing is replacing some things just to be sure as we arn't sure of the exact history of the truck. We are replacing plugs, plug wires, air filter, all fluids, and a few other things just to get it to the point where we know the status of all the critical things on the truck.

ALarsh
08-23-2006, 01:40 AM
I bought the K&N stock replacement. With cold weather plowing, running in the dust and all the crap we put our trucks through, get the K&N stock replacement.

The best thing I did for my truck for power/fuel mileage is a tune. It will really lay some rubber down now (i'd estimate 30 hp gain) and I get better gas mileage (16 highway (don't drive city unloaded)). I'm not sure about a tune for your truck, but it was great for my 6.0.

mike lane lawn care
08-23-2006, 01:41 AM
around $60 - $250 depending on what you get. but trust me on this, i just got my van a few days ago too, for the first couple of days i went crazy thinking of all the accessories and parts i could put into it. save your money because you are soon going to feel the real cost of ownership. Fuel, oil, insurance, and plan on at least one major breakdown per year. save up for those things. I realized that this morning when i looked at the fuel gauge and after i had put over $60 of fuel into it, I only had a little more than a half tank (full is 27 gallons). so i have stopped taking the van out just to drive it, i can't afford it, and when going with the family to places i ride in my mom's car rather than driving my own.

I am in the same boat as you, but I'll tell you to just save your money, you'll need it later, trust me.

Scag48
08-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Yep, I had the same thought's after I changed my plugs and plug wires on my 6.0. Gives a little more hitch in your giddyup. You shouldn't need a starter, alternator, or anything like that yet, but my starter on my 6.0 is going to hell. 155K miles and she's finally hit the fan.

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 01:46 AM
done deal, already got the sheet printed to get my K&N replacement filter, plug wires, and plugs. then will pick up all the fluids i need as well. What would you reccomend for me to change fluids in as im not sure when its been done before? all of it? motor, trans, both diffs.? Thanks for all the help thus far guys, i just want to get my truck to a point where i know when things have been done with it and that's its been done right.

ALarsh
08-23-2006, 01:47 AM
around $60 - $250 depending on what you get. but trust me on this, i just got my van a few days ago too, for the first couple of days i went crazy thinking of all the accessories and parts i could put into it. save your money because you are soon going to feel the real cost of ownership. Fuel, oil, insurance, and plan on at least one major breakdown per year. save up for those things. I realized that this morning when i looked at the fuel gauge and after i had put over $60 of fuel into it, I only had a little more than a half tank (full is 27 gallons). so i have stopped taking the van out just to drive it, i can't afford it, and when going with the family to places i ride in my mom's car rather than driving my own.

I am in the same boat as you, but I'll tell you to just save your money, you'll need it later, trust me.
Its all part of the experience. Once he gets his license, fill up the tank and drive all over town having fun, he will see the fuel gauge nearing empty in just 3 days, fill it up again, scratch head and learn how to preserve. I make my 23 gallon tank last 3-4 weeks.

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 01:59 AM
i got a 43 gallon tank!!!LOL, same as on dads burban, good chunk of change to fill that up, i know better already!!lol, its insane!

mike lane lawn care
08-23-2006, 02:15 AM
well, when you can actualy drive your perspective WILL change, i'm trying to look out for you with my experience, as i'm learning less than a year ahead of you. When you do drive it remember this thread and what people have told you in other threads. I think you are going to be fine, as you seem to show a lot of maturity that you wouldn't find in kids our age. i have friends who i will never understand, one put 30,000 miles on his truck in less than 3 months!(and did no oil changes or other maint.) others who ignore passenger restrictions and some who have been known to drive home drunk with friends after a party. one of the stupidest things you can do.

But you seem to be on the right track, in the right truck. make sure that if it's going to sit in the winter, due to no lisence, then put it in a car port or garrage. this winter i am setting up a car port with a with a propane heater that i can use to warm the van's engine in winter before starting in sub-0 conditions, as i alrady have the car port and heater.

lots of tips and tricks that don't cost a lot to keep you on the road.

Travel'n Trees
08-23-2006, 02:16 AM
Hp adders alot of times burns all of your fuel, computer chips,headers, exhaust, throttle body spacers, a true ram air intake, msd ignition, better wires, throttle sensors, I have gained mileage by getting rid of 3.42 gears and going to 4.10's. We had a c-5 with over 550 hp. that got 28 mpg. It dynoed 487 hp.

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 02:40 AM
mike, i get my license in 2.5 weeks, so it won't be sitting, ill be makin good money with it!! and in the winter its gonna have a 8ft fisher plow on it making me even more money!!! thanks for all the advicse guys. im just doing a full fluid change, plug, and plug wire change for now.

TWUllc
08-23-2006, 12:33 PM
What rear gears do you have?

mrusk
08-23-2006, 08:03 PM

Remember it is just a work truck!!! I laugh when i see guys going down the road with there work trucks with all the bling!

I got a 05 Ram cummings 3/4 ton. Basically a bare bones work truck. The only thing i bought for it is those window vent visor things, bed liner and floor mats. Thats all. Not even a tool box. All tools go in the trailer.

Vehicles are expensive enough. There is no need to sink more money into a depreciating thing.

I like to spend my money on equipment that will make me more money!

Eddie B
08-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Remember it is just a work truck!!! I laugh when i see guys going down the road with there work trucks with all the bling!

I got a 05 Ram cummings 3/4 ton. Basically a bare bones work truck. The only thing i bought for it is those window vent visor things, bed liner and floor mats. Thats all. Not even a tool box. All tools go in the trailer.

Vehicles are expensive enough. There is no need to sink more money into a depreciating thing.

I like to spend my money on equipment that will make me more money!

There's a local LCO here with a dubbed-out titan. crazy!

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
just got home from the parts store and wal-mart, heres what i got:

New plugs
plug wires
K+N filter (which came with a nifty K+N sticker for my back window!!)
HD oil filter
mobil one oil (next change im switching over to amsoil)
PVC valve
new wipers
fuel filter
and a touch up paint thing for the couple little scratches on the truck

end of the week im doing a complete tranny fluid and filter change and changing the diff fluid.

DodgeTruckMan731
08-23-2006, 10:52 PM
just got home from the parts store and wal-mart, heres what i got:

New plugs
plug wires
K+N filter (which came with a nifty K+N sticker for my back window!!)
HD oil filter
mobil one oil (next change im switching over to amsoil)
PVC valve
new wipers
fuel filter
and a touch up paint thing for the couple little scratches on the truck

end of the week im doing a complete tranny fluid and filter change and changing the diff fluid.

someones gonna have some fun lol

ALarsh
08-24-2006, 12:45 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "Heavy Duty Oil Filter"

They took your money and ran on that one.

mcwlandscaping
08-24-2006, 01:00 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "Heavy Duty Oil Filter"

They took your money and ran on that one.
most likely!

Scag48
08-24-2006, 03:21 AM
Live and learn, son, live and learn. :laugh:

South Florida Lawns
09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Cuz, I think you should save the $$$ and get some rims for that thing.

Some 24" Giovanna's, you wold get mad girls that way:laugh:

J&R Landscaping
09-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Mike,
You should get set of flowmasters for that truck.