PDA

View Full Version : Changing Tranny Fluid

FearThisDeere
08-23-2006, 09:49 PM
I am getting ready to trade in my '93 Chevy 1500. It has been sitting for a little while and I have not changed the tranny fluid since the beginning of plow season, so I think i should change it just to be safe. I do not have amanual for the truck. I am pretty sure I know how to drain it, but how do you fill it back up and how to you know it is filled all the way or where it should be? Also, what is the best brand to use? Sorry for the dumb questions.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-23-2006, 09:53 PM
You have to fill in through the transmission dipstick. Usually its a test and see thing to know its full. You need to have the engine running and the tranny warm and pull the dipstick to see if it is full or not and add till its full. also put the tranny in fwd and rev some to make sure the fluid is flowing through out the tranny. I should add that it will prob take from 4-6 quarts of fluid

wayne

FearThisDeere
08-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks Wayne. It is a 5.0 auto. About where should I look for the dipstick in the engine bay? I haven't even opened the hood to check it out. I am too lazy to go out to the garage. Today was building a stone wal day. What a PITA, well pain in the back and the finger I jammed between two large rocks!:cry:

grass_cuttin_fool
08-23-2006, 10:05 PM
standing in front of the truck looking at the engine, prob on the right side next to the firewall. some one jump in and correct me if Im wrong here

wayne

lawnmaniac883
08-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Probably deep on the left side, could be right but I doubt it. Those suckers can be a PITA to find sometimes.

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2006, 10:22 PM
are you dropping the pan out and cleaning that all out or are you just draining and refilling?

Dirty Water
08-23-2006, 10:47 PM
You have a 5.0 chevy?

:)

Tadams
08-23-2006, 11:41 PM
I have a 95 chevy with a 5.7 in it and the trans dipstick is on the left side of the motor when looking from the front of the truck. If you are trading it in, why are you changing the fluids? I usually do that when I buy a used truck, not when I get rid of one. Or did I read your post wrong?

Scag48
08-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Dipstick should be left of center close to the firewall. When you pull the pan, watch yourself. I almost dropped a pan of hot fluid on myself once, that would have been bad news.

FearThisDeere
08-24-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm not going to be dropping the pan as I am trading it in. It has been sitting for close to 4 months now. The dealer is only 40 minutes aways, but I don't want to take the chance of anytranny trouble. A few bucks on tranny fluid is better than no trade in! Yeah, it is a '93 5.0 305 Chevy. What is worng with that lol!? It is the best engine I have ever owend. Thanks for all the help. I am going to get right on it this morning and see what kind of deal I can get on the new used truck!

Dirty Water
08-24-2006, 10:26 AM
I didn't realize they called the 305 a 5.0, I always thought of the Ford 302 as a 5.0, but I guess its close enough. :)

crete5245
08-24-2006, 11:10 AM
A easy way to just remove the fluid is to take one of the tranny cooler lines off at the radiator, start the truck and let the front pump "pump" out the fluid. Then reinstall the line and fill with new fluid.

Echelon
08-24-2006, 11:22 AM
I didn't realize they called the 305 a 5.0, I always thought of the Ford 302 as a 5.0, but I guess its close enough. :)

fords 302 is more like a 4.9, but that just doesnt sound as good as 5.0 does it?

FearThisDeere
08-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. It went really easy. Truck ran great. No problems. Man, that tranny fluid smells terrible... yuk!

grass_cuttin_fool
08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Ok I know this is off topic, I wish they had a spin on filter and a drain plug in the pan so it would be easier to service them. I try to change at 50k intervals on my personal truck and every year on the work truck. Its not a bad job but a drain plug and spin on filter would be so niceeeeeeeeeee. BTW this winter Im getting the drain pan witht he plug in ti for the tranny. I may not change the filter every year but Im gonna get the old fluid out and some fresh in. I only drive 6-7 k a year on the work truck

wayne