PDA

View Full Version : New Truck...

N&CLandscaping
08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Well, Im now looking into trucks for the Spring. What would you choose a Chevy 1 ton Dump around $28,000.00 a Ford F250 Pickup (Same) or a F150 Long Bed. All trucks are Regular cabs and not Diesel. What do you think?

J&R Landscaping
08-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Are you doing enough mulch work and clean-ups to justify a a newer dump truck? Personally, I don't like the way to new f150's look. If it were me and I was shopping for a 1/2 ton, I'd get a GMC 1500 4x4 with a 5.3 v8 in it. JMO

dkeisala
08-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Just a little personal experience here. A bought a F350 dump with a gas engine 2 1/2 years ago. At just under 30 grand, I had a hard time justifying another $6,000 for a diesel w/ auto transmission but gas was half what it costs know. Kinda wish I'd gone with diesel.

The regular cab on my truck has very little interior room which makes it difficult to stow personal gear (clothing, lunch boxes, thermos, water jugs, etc) and business gear (first aid kits, fire ext., and other stuff that can't be in the elements). Wish I would have went with a little larger cab.

The 6 yard dump box is nice for mulch jobs but you can buy a trailer that will haul an equivalant amount of bark for far less than what the hydraulic dump bed cost me. The dump bed I got also sucks up a lot of my GVW.

I could have gone with a F250 HD diesel w/ a hydraulic bed insert for about what I paid for what I got. I would have sacrificed a bit of versatility but in hindsight, it may have been a smarter move. I got a great truck and it fits our needs nicely but I learn from doing and I don't think I'd make the same purchase again.

nobagger
08-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Your comparing apples to oranges. A 1ton dump has a lot of different uses compared to a 1/2ton truck. 1st I would figure out what you need the most and go from there, wether it would be a dump, a 3/4 or 1/2 ton truck.

DodgeTruckMan731
08-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Do you need a dump, do you have enough work for one at 16 years old, its allot of money it will cost you big money in gas the repairs will be much more costly. I wanted a dump too when i started then i came down to reality and figured all these expenses and i asked myself if i had enough work for one and i didn't so i settled with getting my grandpas Dakota, it handles just about anything i throw at it, of course it can pull a 7X14 dump trailer rated for 14000# but it gets most of the jobs done, and its allot less costly for someone our age, your still just started out at 16 you dont need to big the biggest guy in the neighborhood, also when you look into a dump your looking at commercial insurance.

MysticLandscape
08-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey buy my truck its a 97 250 80,000 miles 5.8l gas. Its got a plow and everything. I am asking for 7500.

Scag48
08-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Is everyone like afraid to rely on someone else to have their stuff delivered? What is the deal?! I ran an excavation business for 5 months without a dump truck to haul our 12 ton excavator or haul spoils away from sites and I made out just fine. In the last 5 months I must have had at least 1,500 yards of material either trucked in or out of a site and all of it was hired out. That's more than most landscape guys would handle in about 3 years. I don't know why everyone tries to go out and buy 1 ton dumps, they don't have enough capacity for anything.

mrusk
08-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Is everyone like afraid to rely on someone else to have their stuff delivered? What is the deal?! I ran an excavation business for 5 months without a dump truck to haul our 12 ton excavator or haul spoils away from sites and I made out just fine. In the last 5 months I must have had at least 1,500 yards of material either trucked in or out of a site and all of it was hired out. That's more than most landscape guys would handle in about 3 years. I don't know why everyone tries to go out and buy 1 ton dumps, they don't have enough capacity for anything.

^^^ My thoughts exactly. I brought in over 220 yards of different materials on the job i am on now. All deliveried. 1 ton dumps are useless.

Matt

N&CLandscaping
08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Well what do you guys think about a new F250 with a Truckcraft Aluminum Dump insert. 8'?

Scag48
08-25-2006, 08:03 PM
I honestly think a 1 ton pickup with an aluminum insert has more capacity than a 1 ton dump. Seriously, 1 ton dumps are a joke.

You're 16 man, why buy a new truck? All that hard earned money down the pisser. You know what the insurance on that is going to be like? Even if you were making enough to cover the payments, your customers are going to think you're an @$$ when you roll up in a brand new truck at the age of 16. I thought we went overboard buying a bunch of equipment, at least we didn't waste money on buying new trucks that depreciate and don't produce a profit.

DodgeTruckMan731
08-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I honestly think a 1 ton pickup with an aluminum insert has more capacity than a 1 ton dump. Seriously, 1 ton dumps are a joke.

Not necessarily a joke if you have a big enough fleet where you can use them to haul your lawn equipment around there good for clippings, and also for mulch.

Mike33
08-25-2006, 08:42 PM
I couldnt agree more , i run my business with out a dump truck. When i build walls the quarry delivers to me at a fair price. When i top coil a yard or haul away i have a guy with a truck hauls on the spot for me at a fair price. Trucks are the neccessary evil i get a long fine with out a dump truck. I can pull all of my eqpt. around with my 350 srw and still park at wal-mart. I started out with a 1 ton dump after 5 years i thought what am i doing beating the road only able to haul 3-4 ton.
Mike

Scag48
08-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Not necessarily a joke if you have a big enough fleet where you can use them to haul your lawn equipment around there good for clippings, and also for mulch.

That's the key. If you can afford to throw money away, go right ahead. If you have a big fleet, you can have specialty vehicles. 1 for one task, a couple for another, makes for a very diverse fleet. For a one man show with one truck that just doesn't work.

N&CLandscaping
08-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, My Salary is over $35,000.00 a year and for being 16, I think that is pretty good and im sick of being drivin around in my moms station wagon. But i do see what you guys are talking about with a dump truck. I am looking ahed because when I have more than one crew working I want to have a good image with all the same brand trucks and nice and new. I think im gonna go with a 1999 Ford F250 or 350 though. You guys are right the money for a new truck is very expensive

murray83
08-25-2006, 10:49 PM
why waste your gas puttering about town?stay on the job and supervise your crew where you belong if a question comes up your rite there not half way across town picking something up.

let them waste the gas,pay the insurance,replace the tires etc.

theres more to dump trucks big and small than most people realize.

grassmanak
08-25-2006, 11:52 PM
I bought a new truck at 18, financed ofcourse, dont have any complaints other than i should have gone bigger, like a 3/4 ton. And the reason i hall all my own materials is because 50-100 bucks extra i make for delivery is worth it to me.

Scag48
08-26-2006, 12:00 AM
I find that spending $100 on delivery can help me get about $500 more of work done in a day. Most people don't understand that when you leave your site to go dink around with hauling your own stuff, you crew either screws something up, you're not billing hours for yourself, or you're flat not getting anything done. We get $50 an hour with a truck and our dump trailer, but when I'm on site I'm billing out $65 an hour for my time for just managing the crew. Let's see, driving truck for $50 an hour, or getting something done AND making $65 an hour. Hmmmm.....

Jpocket
08-26-2006, 12:09 AM

B/c you wouldn't have 4yards of mulch delivered, and then call someone to haul away 3 yards of debris 5 days a week in the spring time. In leaf season wut are you gonna do call so and so hauling to haul 10 yards of leaves everyday, for a job that already has a thin profit margin?

It pays to have your own dump truck, no matter how relaible a hauling/ truck outfit is. Plus a small dump truck costs no more than what a pick-up costs to maintain out side of the tag being litterally a few dollars more. If i only had one truck it would be a late model on toin deisel 4x4 dump for sure.

murray83
08-26-2006, 12:32 PM
"It pays to have your own dump truck, no matter how relaible a hauling/ truck outfit is. Plus a small dump truck costs no more than what a pick-up costs to maintain out side of the tag being litterally a few dollars more. If i only had one truck it would be a late model on toin deisel 4x4 dump for sure."

so your telling us for example that a one ton chevy 3500 vs. a one ton chevy dump same year,same model will even out when it comes to repair costs?

i don't care what others say,subbing out is the only way to go and add your mark up on the truckers bill.

mrusk
08-26-2006, 05:18 PM
This thread just proves again how dumb most landscapers are and how they have no economic sense!!!!!

Matt

Jpocket
08-26-2006, 05:40 PM
"It pays to have your own dump truck, no matter how relaible a hauling/ truck outfit is. Plus a small dump truck costs no more than what a pick-up costs to maintain out side of the tag being litterally a few dollars more. If i only had one truck it would be a late model on toin deisel 4x4 dump for sure."

so your telling us for example that a one ton chevy 3500 vs. a one ton chevy dump same year,same model will even out when it comes to repair costs?

i don't care what others say,subbing out is the only way to go and add your mark up on the truckers bill.

Yup....especially on a new truck, you've got a few years before you need to do any major repairs. A 1ton dump is the SAME as a pickup except for the hoist and hydraulics. And im not a landscaper, I am a business man who just happens to be in the landscaping business.

jazak
08-26-2006, 05:42 PM

You tell me who will get subbed out to go out and get your leaves? Who is going to move that cord of wood? Who is going to run and get you a yard of topsoil that you need last minute? Once you answer this then you can tell me why its better to sub out trucking.

murray83
08-26-2006, 05:58 PM
any decent landscape center has a truck for deliveries mulch,topsoil,block etc.

leaves,wood etc? there are plenty of junk service companies in your phone book with a beat up old half ton who'll chage $50 to get rid of anything u desire.take the rates and add 10% for mark up.let them waste the gas not you.why would you pay your labourer or yourself + the cost of the truck per hour (gas,insurance) to screw around town for an hour or 2 there is no logic in that.

if you have issues in last minute needs i'd question your estimating,its a rule of thumb you always over estimate slightly for issues like you bring up,any extra material you have left over use it on the next job.

murray83
08-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Yup....especially on a new truck, you've got a few years before you need to do any major repairs. A 1ton dump is the SAME as a pickup except for the hoist and hydraulics. And im not a landscaper, I am a business man who just happens to be in the landscaping business.

i'd look twice at the mfg specs between the 2.

markam70
08-26-2006, 06:26 PM
We use f-450's as opposed to 1 tons but even a 1 ton is worth having. I don't know about everyone else here but we do have scheduling problems at times and having the 450's is critical to our operation.

In our area, there is no landscape center. All of our materials are delivered in large quantities. Mulch is 80 yds. per delivery. Plant material by the semi load, hardscaping material is usually delivered to the jobsite.
If we had to rely on subs for hauling limited quantities of material like some are talking about, we'd be standing around most of the time. I'm sure in larger areas, there are plenty of guys with truck who will jump on a moments notice, but that doesn't work here. If we need it, we better be ready to move it ourselves

Just remember, the guys with the trucks aren't doing it for nothing. Having a one ton or larger truck may not be very cost effective, but it looks like the subs are making money at it. One just needs to price accordingly.

mrusk
08-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Just remember, the guys with the trucks aren't doing it for nothing. Having a one ton or larger truck may not be very cost effective, but it looks like the subs are making money at it. One just needs to price accordingly.

Yea they make money at it because it is there job. Its all they do.

Gravel Rat
08-26-2006, 11:15 PM
The one landscape contractor that I know never had a dump truck but he bought a old used chevy with a dump on it. Now he can't live without it the truck saves him time and makes him some money.

I'am a junk removal company its minimum 100 dollars just to look at the job then its 20 dollars per hour to load the truck if the job requires extra traveling its 50 dollars per hour plus disposal fee's. Most of the time anything burnable like brush and branches is piled up and burned in the winter time. Old junk is hauled away in P/U trucks usually the landscapers P/U or the home owner hauls the junk away in their truck.

Most landscapers will take their P/U truck to a landscape supply and load it up with topsoil if they have to and shovel out the material. For us the nearest landscape depot is a good 1.5 hour round trip they deliver but your put on a waiting list its not like you can have a delivery right away.

The local gravel pit stocks topsoil and they produce sand and gravel they have a dump truck its a tandem axle they will deliver you a yard of material but its going to cost 75-80 dollars per hour. If you have a place that is tough to get into and the truck gets stuck the bill gets even higher. The material is cheaper from the gravel pit the landscape depot adds another 10-20 dollars per yard.

If your doing alot of lawn installs and repairs or landscaping backyards where your removing branches etc you need a dump truck.

I do agree you need a minimum F-450 sized truck a regular 1 ton "legally" can't haul enough. A dump trailer is useless in a area like mine there is no way you can get a trailer into some of these places.

Jpocket
08-26-2006, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=murray83]i'd look twice at the mfg specs between the 2.[/QUOTE

I have no need to, b/c I own/have owned them all. You may need to:rolleyes: .

The difference in the cost to operate light duty trucks is very little. The only time you see a significant increase in the cost to operate is when you step into the medium and heavy truck classes. Like i said i've had them all and difference in cost is very little "TO ME"

murray83
08-27-2006, 09:30 AM
regular cab-
http://www.gmc.com/lightduty/sierra/3500/specsDimension.jsp
chassis-
http://www.gmc.com/lightduty/sierra/chassis/specsDimension.jsp

i used these specs in my earlier posts although some numbers come up similar they are not all the exact same.

for instance curb weight between a 4x4 reg cab long box pick up and chassis is 5889 pounds compared to 5887 pounds without any body yet mounted.

only thing similar between the 2 was the choice of engines,and spring and axle capacitys.remember these specs on the chassis are spec'd without a dump or flat bed body.

Jpocket
08-27-2006, 01:13 PM
regular cab-
http://www.gmc.com/lightduty/sierra/3500/specsDimension.jsp
chassis-
http://www.gmc.com/lightduty/sierra/chassis/specsDimension.jsp

i used these specs in my earlier posts although some numbers come up similar they are not all the exact same.

for instance curb weight between a 4x4 reg cab long box pick up and chassis is 5889 pounds compared to 5887 pounds without any body yet mounted.

only thing similar between the 2 was the choice of engines,and spring and axle capacitys.remember these specs on the chassis are spec'd without a dump or flat bed body.

Not trying to be an ass, but what are you trying to prove. A chassis and cab weights more empty than a pick-up????? How does that make them cost more to operate?

mow king
08-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, My Salary is over $35,000.00 a year and for being 16, I think that is pretty good and im sick of being drivin around in my moms station wagon. But i do see what you guys are talking about with a dump truck. I am looking ahed because when I have more than one crew working I want to have a good image with all the same brand trucks and nice and new. I think im gonna go with a 1999 Ford F250 or 350 though. You guys are right the money for a new truck is very expensive

So you're trying to say that you're not grossing $35k, but bringing home $35,000 a year at the age of 16 while working out of your moms station wagon? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

murray83
08-27-2006, 01:34 PM
A 1ton dump is the SAME as a pickup except for the hoist and hydraulics. And im not a landscaper, I am a business man who just happens to be in the landscaping business.

those are the facts,if you wanna talk economics thats a complete different thread,more weight = more fuel = higher operating costs for a truck that won't carry jack squat,if you need a dump get a 2 ton or the like at least you can carry a decent load without being overweight and have DOT down your neck.

N&CLandscaping
08-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Yes,I am ranking in a little over $35,000.00. But I dont pockit all the money. most of it goes into my savings acount. I only take out a little at a time for spending money. But yes i am making $35,000.00

Jpocket
08-27-2006, 05:17 PM
those are the facts,if you wanna talk economics thats a complete different thread,more weight = more fuel = higher operating costs for a truck that won't carry jack squat,if you need a dump get a 2 ton or the like at least you can carry a decent load without being overweight and have DOT down your neck.

DO what makes you happy, my dump truck is the MOST useful one I have, And im sure many others feel this way.

vadeere
08-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Put me down for having your own 1 ton dump. I do not know what i would do w/o mine.

DESTEFANO3782
08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
hey mystic ill give u 1300 cash for that big old rusty junker i saw driven by me last week. thats yours right?

dkeisala
08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Yes,I am ranking in a little over $35,000.00. But I dont pockit all the money. most of it goes into my savings acount. I only take out a little at a time for spending money. But yes i am making $35,000.00
No you're not, your business is making $35,000. Big difference.

N&CLandscaping
08-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Ok ya whatever my business is making $35,000.00 not me myself I see what you mean

MysticLandscape
08-30-2006, 10:50 PM
hey mystic ill give u 1300 cash for that big old rusty junker i saw driven by me last week. thats yours right?

The truck or the walker

moore landscaping
09-02-2006, 03:56 PM
So you make thirty-five thousand a year, are you paying taxes on this? Do you pay workmens comp? Are you insured? Do you have a sales tax license? If you are not paying the above questioned you probably should not be posting this on the internet. If you are paying it buy a dump truck cause you can write it off.