PDA

View Full Version : Need help on pricing underbrush clearing (Pictures attached)

Terra-Scapes
08-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I had a customer ask me to give him a price on clearing the underbrush located along the tree line. He wants to clean up the overgrowth brush and be able to see into the wooded area.

The area is roughly 300ft long and 10 or so feet deep into the wooded area. It mostly consist of privit (approx. 1-6" thick at base).

Here are a few pictures.

Brendan Smith
08-24-2006, 04:23 PM
without knowing what equipment you have available, how disposal will be handled, how many people will be involved, etc., it is hard to say. can you offer more info?

lawnmaniac883
08-24-2006, 04:46 PM
2k from what I see in the picture. If he dont want to pay me to do it, find someone else.

Terra-Scapes
08-25-2006, 01:05 PM
I have a skidder steer at my disposal (New Holland with a front straight edge bucket). It will cost me $65 and hour to run it. Two man crew, 3 chain saws, various other tools, one 6x12 maybe 6x16 trailer to haul off debris. I am not crazy about running the tractor through the recently hydro-seeded yard, but the client wants the area by the play set to be graded flat for a picnic area. Also, there are several large stumps (previously up rooted) that he wants hauled off. I figure it would take a serious 10-12 hours on site and more time hauling the load to get the job done.

olderthandirt
08-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Rent a chipper and chip all the debris so you only make 1 trip or blow it into the woods if thats possable. Then you have the grading and seeding of a new picnic area to work on. My price with out actually seeing the area would be $4000-$5000
How much property value will the home oner gain from more usable space plus the addition of a better looking property?

Brendan Smith
08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Rent a chipper and chip all the debris so you only make 1 trip or blow it into the woods if thats possable. Then you have the grading and seeding of a new picnic area to work on. My price with out actually seeing the area would be $4000-$5000
How much property value will the home oner gain from more usable space plus the addition of a better looking property?
that quote sounds just a touch higher than what i would bid, but not off base. i was thinking about $3800-$4000. that is high in my market, but it is not work i look for and if i was going to get involved, i'd want to make it worth my while.

olderthandirt
08-25-2006, 01:32 PM
that quote sounds just a touch higher than what i would bid, but not off base. i was thinking about $3800-$4000. that is high in my market, but it is not work i look for and if i was going to get involved, i'd want to make it worth my while.

Oh it is high but I also supplied the poster with a great way of selling the job,
notice my last sentence? :)

Brendan Smith
08-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh it is high but I also supplied the poster with a great way of selling the job,
notice my last sentence? :)
yes, i caught that :)

just don't take off your shirt during the estimate mac :laugh:

olderthandirt
08-25-2006, 02:13 PM
yes, i caught that :)

just don't take off your shirt during the estimate mac :laugh:

My shirt? I must have missed something :confused:

Brendan Smith
08-25-2006, 02:40 PM
My shirt? I must have missed something :confused:
don't you have sleeves on both arms?

olderthandirt
08-25-2006, 04:11 PM
don't you have sleeves on both arms?
If your referring to ink then there not quite sleeves, but they don't stop at the shoulders :weightlifter:
But being olderthandirt does make getting a premium price a lot easier.:) Old grandpa does know WTF he's talking about :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
as long as no one sees what he actually looks like.
Got your meaning now :drinkup:

Brendan Smith
08-25-2006, 04:21 PM
If your referring to ink then there not quite sleeves, but they don't stop at the shoulders :weightlifter:
But being olderthandirt does make getting a premium price a lot easier.:) Old grandpa does know WTF he's talking about :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
as long as no one sees what he actually looks like.
Got your meaning now :drinkup:

rofl - i know i don't argue with mine :laugh: :laugh:

they just made tats legal here, i'm currently feuding with my wife about expanding my sorry collection :laugh:

Terra-Scapes
08-25-2006, 04:21 PM
First of all, thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate all the input i received from everyone on this site.

During my first discussion with the homeowner he didn't mention anything about seeding or prepping the picnic area or the area along the tree line. He said he wanted the area cleared, leveled, and cleaned up so it not as unsightly and he wanted to put a picnic table in the far corner of the yard adjacent to the play set. It makes sense to seed the area or install a simple landscape enhancement to keep erosion down and maintain the appearance, but this is where my inexperience with selling comes in. I'm not sure what to suggest without getting to carried away. He is really tight with his money and I have a fertilizer and lawn care contract in the works with him, but not signed yet (although he wants to keep cutting his yard and have me do all the rest??). Also, we just finished up a hydroseeding, topdressing, aerating job there so I'm not sure if that should way in on the price.

He also wants 30 or so 15 gallon Leyland cypress or Emerald Green Arborvitae's planted along his property line with his neighbor and that might tie into this job depending on how much he is willing to spend at this time.

I will tell you that we charged him $2700 to aerate, partially topdress, and (outsource) hydroseed 1 acre of his 1.5 acre lot this past week.

Also, I just found out I can have the New Holland with a tooth bucket for $150 all day and the rent an auger for the trees for another $150, so that keeps my cost down.

Josh

Brendan Smith
08-25-2006, 04:23 PM
First of all, thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate all the input i received from everyone on this site.

During my first discussion with the homeowner he didn't mention anything about seeding or prepping the picnic area or the area along the tree line. He said he wanted the area cleared, leveled, and cleaned up so it not as unsightly and he wanted to put a picnic table in the far corner of the yard adjacent to the play set. It makes sense to seed the area or install a simple landscape enhancement to keep erosion down and maintain the appearance, but this is where my inexperience with selling comes in. I'm not sure what to suggest without getting to carried away. He is really tight with his money and I have a fertilizer and lawn care contract in the works with him, but not signed yet (although he wants to keep cutting his yard and have me do all the rest??). Also, we just finished up a hydroseeding, topdressing, aerating job there so I'm not sure if that should way in on the price.

He also wants 30 or so 15 gallon Leyland cypress or Emerald Green Arborvitae's planted along his property line with his neighbor and that might tie into this job depending on how much he is willing to spend at this time.

I will tell you that we charged him $2700 to aerate, partially topdress, and (outsource) hydroseed 1 acre of his 1.5 acre lot this past week.

Also, I just found out I can have the New Holland with a tooth bucket for $150 all day and the rent an auger for the trees for another $150, so that keeps my cost down.

Josh
as long as you netted what you need to, i say good job!

olderthandirt
08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I would give him a price on all the work together. And sell the idea of making a picnic area with at least grass but you need to decide what would work best. Also sell the FACT that landscaping adds to the value of the property so if he spends an additinal 6k for some nice work it can add upto 60k to the value of the property-depending on what is done and how it looks. But an area thats designated as a picnic area and is scaped as one will be an attractive selling point. Get to work making some designs for the man to see what you have in mind for his property, nothing to elaborate but most customers need to SEE something before signing a contract for thousand of $$$$ Good luck

olderthandirt
08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
they just made tats legal here, i'm currently feuding with my wife about expanding my sorry collection

Let her get some at the same time. placed in the right spot a tat on a woman can be sexy as hell + it makes you getting more a done deal :)

Edward Hunter Yard Works
05-12-2011, 06:16 PM
My customer wants us to clear out the scrub brush and saplings on his property to be able to see into the woods a little bit more. We estimate about 3-4 full days of work. He wants it piled in his field to burn at a later time, so no dump runs. We'll be using bush axes, swing blades and a chain saw. 2 men on the job. What would be a fair estimate? This isn't our usual work, so it's extra above the lawn care.

weeze
05-12-2011, 06:26 PM
i usually run from these types of jobs now...i can't stand them...price it really high to make it worth it...but you have a skidder or whatever so that should make it easier.