PDA

View Full Version : 1995 or 1996 F-150

stuffdeer
08-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Hello Everyone-

Next year I will be upgrading my truck, and paying cash for it.

I've always liked the '95 and '96 Body Styles. So I had a couple of questions.

The 1995 F-150 Came with a 5.0 V8 in it, How reliable is this Engine, and how many miles should it last with proper maintance?

The 1996 f-150 Cam with the 5.4 V8. Same questions as above.

Now for one more change.

The 95 came with the Puch button 4x4 on the dash, and the 96 came with the manual one on the floor. Which on is betteR?

Howie's Lawn Care
08-24-2006, 05:44 PM
What about the truck you have now? What will become of it?

stuffdeer
08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
The current truck...I can either keep, or If I buy a new truck, it goes to my younger brother when he can drive.

stuffdeer
08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
So, I'm kinda in a point where, Do I save money and buy the truck I've loved for 8 years, (95 or 96 F-150) or just spend some money on my current truck.

PerennialSuccess
08-24-2006, 05:51 PM
they didn't introduce the 5.4 until 1997. The 5.4 is an excellent engine, get that over the 4.6/4.2 any day. As for the '96 and earlier trucks, any of the motors are great. I would step up and get the 250/350 though, you will wish you would have a few months down the line.

stuffdeer
08-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh really, Thanks for the info on the 5.4. My dad has that in his 2000 with the 7700, its a powerful engine.

LindblomRJ
08-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Not a whole lot of changes between the 95 and 96. Started with the body style in 92. I had a 93 (2wd) and a 95 (4X4) Both were auto and 5.0. I still wish I had the 95.

My 95 had the push button for the 4x4, and didn't have any trouble with it. The other real good motor is the 300 6.

mike lane lawn care
08-24-2006, 08:56 PM
what is the reason for upgrading?
also if this truck is yours how come you can't sell or trade it in?, or are you the nice brother?

I have friends with fords that have the push button 4x4 and they have had some issues with it, one of them shorted out and left the truck 4x4-less durring a horrible snoe storm, something to keep in mind. never heard of anyone with trouble with the manual engagment.

5.4 is a whole lot of engine, I think it might be too much engine for an f-150. But none the less, it is a fantastic engine.

if it were me, i'd get the 1996.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-24-2006, 08:57 PM
The current truck...I can either keep, or If I buy a new truck, it goes to my younger brother when he can drive.
Since you just got your ZTR, I'm doubting you have any serious need for a bigger truck yet. This is just my opinion, but I think you should get some better mowing jobs (it takes time, but you got a ZTR now) and then jump to a 3/4 or 1 ton. You can still get a 3/4 ton with the mid 90's body style. I just feel like you got a sweet deal with the S-10 (i'm assumming your parents gave it to you, correct me if I'm worong Jerry), so you could probably keep driving it another year or two and save up cash for an F-250 or F-350 or F-750. If you get a Budweiser trailer and start delivering beer, you may even need an F-950. Todd, you also said something about spending a little money on the current truck. What did you mean by that Brian? Let me know what you decide to do Zach. Maybe then I can post a response with an even larger variety of names. Well, I'm off to make a Hot Pocket, have a good evening Mike.

subs1000w
08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
what he said aobut the 5.4 wasnt offered untill 97

the engine choices for 95/96 were

4.9 300 strt6 145hp 260ftlb
5.0 302 v8 195hp 270ft
5.8 351 v8 220hp 330ft

all are great very proven pushrod engines and are much much easier to take care of when compared to the newer sohc 4.6 and 5.4, ive had the "pleasure" of chaging plugs and wire on a 97 with the 4.6 and let me tell you never again it took like 2 hours and was a huge pain when i could do it to a 5.0 or 5.8 in aobut 20min with little pain at all

i personally own 2 f150s a 92 302 and a 95 351w both are 2wd 5spds with roughly 140k miles very basic and are as realiable as can be and also very very easy to work on

the only difference between 95 and 96 are the 95s are OBDI and the 96 are OBDII and you may want to check your emmisions laws because around here as of sep 1 2007 anything pre OBDII will be exempt from emmisions (yipee)which is one reason why im glad mine is a 95 as it will not pass

i would also consider getting a 3/4ton aka f250 since the same engines were avalible as well as the

460 V8 245hp 400ft
7.3 turbo deisel not sure on specs but there simaler to the 460 and both are also good engines

this will alow you to pull alot more with the bigger brakes and heavyer suspention and dont cost that much more than a f150

also definitly get 4wd

stuffdeer
08-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Since you just got your ZTR, I'm doubting you have any serious need for a bigger truck yet. This is just my opinion, but I think you should get some better mowing jobs (it takes time, but you got a ZTR now) and then jump to a 3/4 or 1 ton. You can still get a 3/4 ton with the mid 90's body style. I just feel like you got a sweet deal with the S-10 (i'm assumming your parents gave it to you, correct me if I'm worong Jerry), so you could probably keep driving it another year or two and save up cash for an F-250 or F-350 or F-750. If you get a Budweiser trailer and start delivering beer, you may even need an F-950. Todd, you also said something about spending a little money on the current truck. What did you mean by that Brian? Let me know what you decide to do Zach. Maybe then I can post a response with an even larger variety of names. Well, I'm off to make a Hot Pocket, have a good evening Mike.

Confused :hammerhead:

Anyways...Yes, Sweet deal on S-10. Free from parents with the deal I will pay all insurance, gas and everything. I might just keep the S-10 for about 2 years, until I have more accounts.

FearThisDeere
08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
My first truck was a '96 F150. It was one great truck. Mine was 4x4 with the 5.8. Tons of power, but bad gas mileage. Costs a lot and hurts even more with dual tanks! Never had any real problems. A battery, a couple of front lights. The family friend that owned it before me used it to pull a 30' camper and ruined two rearends. He put a new in when I bought it and never had a problem with it. It was a common problem, so be weary of that. alos, the throttle stuck open on me twice... that was real fun! Little DW40 and I was all seat, but scary as hell. Just remember, it is an older 1/2 ton. Treat it well and it will treat you well. It is by far one of the best 1/2 tons ever made.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Confused :hammerhead:

Anyways...Yes, Sweet deal on S-10. Free from parents with the deal I will pay all insurance, gas and everything. I might just keep the S-10 for about 2 years, until I have more accounts.

The feeling of confusion is what I was going for. It just seems like the logical choice to keep the S10 for atleast another year. I think if you got an F-150, you'd outgrow it and be doing the same work you could do with your S-10.

I don't know how good you are at tennis, but you could always try to get a scholarship for playing tennis. Screw lawn care, just play tennis all day and all night. Make sure you drink plenty of Powerade and chew alot of BigRed. Also, be sure to watch the tribute to Andre Agassi on ESPN. It's what's for dinner.

I've got enough cheesecake to last me the rest of my life! I ended up going to Captain D's Seafood instead of eating a HotPocket. I got the Shrimp Basket, Medium Coke no ice, and a slice of cheesecake which I have eaten 4/5 of so far. I hope all is well in Wal-Marts corporate headquarters. Later.

-Nick Howard

Mike33
08-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Im a ford man never owned any of those years in a gas engine so i wony comment on them. However i like the stick on the floor for engaging 4x4. I dont trust electroic buttons. You pull the stick you no it is going to happen or you can fix it easy. I know 2 different guys were stuck and the push button deal didnt work.
Mike

stuffdeer
08-24-2006, 10:55 PM
My first truck was a '96 F150. It was one great truck. Mine was 4x4 with the 5.8. Tons of power, but bad gas mileage. Costs a lot and hurts even more with dual tanks! Never had any real problems. A battery, a couple of front lights. The family friend that owned it before me used it to pull a 30' camper and ruined two rearends. He put a new in when I bought it and never had a problem with it. It was a common problem, so be weary of that. alos, the throttle stuck open on me twice... that was real fun! Little DW40 and I was all seat, but scary as hell. Just remember, it is an older 1/2 ton. Treat it well and it will treat you well. It is by far one of the best 1/2 tons ever made.

Man, Thats the exact truck I'm looking for!

stuffdeer
08-24-2006, 10:56 PM
The feeling of confusion is what I was going for. It just seems like the logical choice to keep the S10 for atleast another year. I think if you got an F-150, you'd outgrow it and be doing the same work you could do with your S-10.

I don't know how good you are at tennis, but you could always try to get a scholarship for playing tennis. Screw lawn care, just play tennis all day and all night. Make sure you drink plenty of Powerade and chew alot of BigRed. Also, be sure to watch the tribute to Andre Agassi on ESPN. It's what's for dinner.

I've got enough cheesecake to last me the rest of my life! I ended up going to Captain D's Seafood instead of eating a HotPocket. I got the Shrimp Basket, Medium Coke no ice, and a slice of cheesecake which I have eaten 4/5 of so far. I hope all is well in Wal-Marts corporate headquarters. Later.

-Nick Howard

Lmao, I just got done with my 5th year of tennis.

ALarsh
08-24-2006, 11:05 PM

-Nick Howard

Are you ok?

PerennialSuccess
08-24-2006, 11:23 PM
The things people lace with drugs nowadays really mess with you...

FearThisDeere
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Man, Thats the exact truck I'm looking for!
It was a great truck in MINT shape. One little scrath and that was it. Sold it last summer for $7000 cash.

FearThisDeere
08-25-2006, 11:26 AM

-Nick Howard
Are you sure those shrimp were OK? No mercury in them or anything? Maybe the cheesecake had gone bad?

Brendan Smith
08-25-2006, 11:36 AM
that's not a 4wd truck. too clean. needs 1/2" of mud caked all over everything :)

FearThisDeere
08-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Hahaha... only happened once with this truck. I babied this like crazy. I washed it close to once a week. There was this one time in the spring right when I got my license that it did a little 4 wheeling. It took me 4 hours to wash it, but it was never the same. There was just a lot of truck to wash. The mud had gone up between the cab and back window, that was fun to clean.

Brendan Smith
08-25-2006, 04:48 PM
when i was your age, i couldn't stay out of the swamps. i was literally banned from the local car wash for clogging the drain with mud, then my parents banned me from washing it in the driveway and made me take it out behind the barn :laugh:

it was fun, but tore up alot of stuff.

FearThisDeere
08-25-2006, 09:10 PM
I always have a good truck and a "bad" or project truck. The good truck gets babies beyond how a truck should be. The bad truck gets the crap beaten out of it more than anything. I havehad a Ford Ranger so deep in mud that it was coming in throught the door jams, and yes, it was 2 wheel drive. My driveway is part of a 1.5 mile long now gravel (used to be mud) driveway. They are buling a couple of houses out back behind me and I now the guys that did the excavating. They let me go out there all spring before they started work and man was it fun. Thank god for my John Deere and a good come-a-long with chains. It pulled me out more than a few hundred times. I put 600 miles on that truck just driveing around the 30 acres on the property (and the 600 acres of town land behind us... SHHHH...). I never drove the truck on the road or registered. I was hitting ponds at 40 MPH. I chased some ATVs out of our back fields and was abel to beat them to the trees. Once they started to build the house I sold the truck I got for free for $1500 and called it a day.