PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Brake Cable?

nt1
08-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Emergency brake cable just broke this afternoon on my 99 f150.
It broke on the inside of the truck at the release handle.
It looks like a bicycle type cable with a metal knob connecting it the the release lever.
Is this an easy fix? Do I need to replace the entire cable or can I repair it?

FearThisDeere
08-24-2006, 10:41 PM
I am pretty sure that you have to replace the whole cable. It is fairly easy, just a pain.

nt1
08-24-2006, 11:04 PM
I am pretty sure that you have to replace the whole cable. It is fairly easy, just a pain.

Thats what I was thinking. Hoping for a less troublesome repair.
Maybe I'll just use vise grips on the cable when I need the brake.:)

Fordsuvparts
08-24-2006, 11:40 PM
You will have to replace the cable. It goes from inside the cab, to a Y in it that attaches both rear brake cables. I have replaced it before on a couple of our fords. I have replaced more of the driver side rear cables on our superduties than anything else. Someof my guys just stomp the e brake and after awhile they get a little corroded and just break like tailgate cables.

nt1
08-25-2006, 01:38 AM
You will have to replace the cable. It goes from inside the cab, to a Y in it that attaches both rear brake cables. I have replaced it before on a couple of our fords. I have replaced more of the driver side rear cables on our superduties than anything else. Someof my guys just stomp the e brake and after awhile they get a little corroded and just break like tailgate cables.

Thanks for the info! I will take a closer look this weekend.