PDA

View Full Version : Won bid on appearance.

PerfiCut L&L
08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
I've always been an advocate of professionalism. Just won another job sole on appearance.

Small patio, newly developed community, about 100 - 130 homes. Patio is 11x 17. Nothing fance, just a patio with two steps up to the back door.

Customer had 3 estimates prior to ours, varying from $2k to $2500. Ours came in at $3300. Based on my presentation, honesty, and overall professional appearance the customer chose us over everyone else even though they were much lower than his budget of $3k.

So, next time your out there, take the time to look the part. Act professional and, spend a little time talking to the customer. Explain the process thats going to take place. I have found that most people, like to know whats going to take place, and the how its going to be done.

Just food for thought.

PS:This job has already lead to a second job in the same development and we havnt even started construction yet. Figure we should probably get about 5 to 10 before its done with.

Team-Green L&L
08-25-2006, 09:07 AM
It's about time someone else figured this out! Good work Perficut!!!!!!

Sandgropher
08-25-2006, 09:18 AM
I brought a ute yesterday, that looks really smart, and i got my latest shirts back from the printers plus a cap with my business name on, i felt different on quotes today, people treating me with more respect, i was always tidy but had a rough old van, i got all my quotes today at a far higher price than i normaly charge (one double my normal daily rate).:)

hoskm01
08-25-2006, 02:56 PM
It's about time someone else figured this out! Good work Perficut!!!!!!

Because no one else has ever thought of this?

PerfiCut L&L
08-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I've always presented myself in a professional manor, both appearance and behavior.

Despite what a lot people think about driving a new truck, I have yet to have anyone question me about ours, in a negative way. If anything, I get compliment on it.

I had to laugh when this particular customer told me what one of his estimates consisted of. ... guy shows up, looks at the site, says "looks like it gonna be about a thousand dollars in materials." , then proceeds to tell the customer "you buy the materials, and pay me 1200 to put it in". At no time did the guy take any measurements, look for any obsticles, and or hazards. Nothing. All this in about 2 minutes time.

The other estimators apparently seemed thourough and provided what I would consider a low ball estimate. Probably just for the sole purpose of being the first in the development in hopes to pick up additional jobs. Good luck.

I simply explained to the customer what he's going to get, what we are going to do, and how much it will cost. I spent about 2 hours with him, and even though we were significantly more expensive, we appeared more professional than the others, which gave the customer a security blanket feeling.

So to those that dont want to spend a lot of time on site, and or are in a hurry to move on, and dont feel its necessary to "network" with the customer.
THANK YOU.

YardPro
08-26-2006, 08:21 AM
i have always felt like i am selling MYSELF... and people that want hardscaping work done are higher on the economic ladder and understand business a little better. When they are spending those kind of bucks (we just landed an $80K pool deck /courtyard concrete tearout and redo) they want to feel confident that the company can do the job

DVS Hardscaper
08-26-2006, 12:12 PM
A well written proposal, covering all the bases, honesty, a photo album FULL of your completed jobs, and being very courtesous to the MRS, will do you well.

Some contractors try so hard to focus on telling a prospective client EVERYTHING they wanna hear. It cracks me up.

1. No one knows everything. If you are unsure of something, be honest and tell the client you do not have an answer, but you'll try to find an answer.

2. If you are certain of something, provide the prospective clients with examples, such as photos, proving you been there, done that.

3. Do not come on too strong. Don't be a know it all. Don't be pushy. Homeowners hate that.

4. The name of the game is to SELL SELL SELL. I do follow up calls, but I tread lightly with them. You wanna know something? A prospective client, that has received your proposal, that is interested in using your services WILL call you back. Guaranteed. Making multiple follow up phone calls will NOT speed up their decision.