PDA

View Full Version : Big jobs.....

forestfireguy
08-25-2006, 10:37 PM
In your expierience do big jobs lead to more big jobs? We are finishing up a large patio, circle kit and wall around the perimeter(it has been mentioned in other posts). My boss is thinking of doing a mailing targeting specifically large patios and driveways. I've done lots of pavers, plenty of driveways most of which were considerably smaller than this pastio. To keep production high and deadlines tight is there any equipment to consider thats not commonly used on smaller work. For example a vibratory roller would have been great on this past one. Also a bigger block/paver saw. Any thoughts.

YardPro
08-26-2006, 08:15 AM
for large jobs we rent a ride on vib roller. also large 2 man pull screed bars.

the other is a laser guided box blade for the skid steer.

forestfireguy
08-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Where do you get the laser guided bucket?

DVS Hardscaper
08-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Big jobs may not necessarily get other big jobs persay(sp).

But a well done big job, WILL display your competency to someone looking for a contractor that can do thier big job.

we do big jobs. And we do small jobs. The small jobs DO make more money in the end.

mrusk
08-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm am rapping up my first big job right now. Here is the breakdown- 2800 sq ft ep henry bluestone, 130 linear feet bullnose, 250 sq pavers, 225 plants, 100 yards of fill, 40 yards topsoil, and 40 yards mulch.

Its the biggest job by far i have ever done. In the end i am not making as much money as i should of. Honestly i got the job because i was proably the lowest bidder.

But guess what, the job came out 10x better than anyone expected. The job had plans done by the top landscape archetict in town. I came in and basically throw his plans out and came up with a better design. This job without a doubt will lead to more bigger jobs. I am now talking to another person in the same devlopment for a even bigger job.

Bigger jobs just seem more rewarding in the end. A walkway might make the front of a house look a little better. But when you do a big job you make the ENTIRE backyard look unbeliveable.

Matt

murray83
08-26-2006, 06:00 PM
and when the job look good people talk and tell friends its that one big job that might bring in more big and small jobs.

you gotta love word of mouth advertising

PSUturf
08-26-2006, 06:03 PM
If you get a reputation for doing quality work on large jobs you will limit your competition. We routinely do jobs that cost several hundred thousand dollars. The customers won't even consider other landscape companies because of our reputation for handling large jobs.

Drafto
08-26-2006, 09:56 PM
We did a large driveway in a new development in the spring. It netted me another 2500 s.f. + job, and I currently have 2 estimates out for driveways in the same size range. I don't think that it is the size of the job that leads to the next, I think it is the quality of work. When I go on an estimate in the development now I don't think my price is the main concern to the homeowners. They have seen me around, talked with neighbors, they already trust me and that is the main obstacle for us when cold bidding a job.

If things continue in the manner they are going I will definatley be looking a vibratory rollers, or a large 15,000# plate compactor.

We already use a pavercart and 1 man sandpulls from pavetech, both of these tools save us tremendous time and labor.

With all this being said, larger projects can wear on you. It is easy to spend too much time on a project when you know it is already going to take you a month. I like the cashflow of doing smaller projects and the constant satisfaction of knowing it is done and overwith, paid and out the door.

Dan