View Full Version : 97 Ranger Battery/Charging System Light came on...

08-27-2006, 07:07 PM
So last week I broke down on the side of the road in the Ranger 4 banger. Figured out that a loose connection on the negative battery post had caused the connector to short/fail. Replaced connector, charged battery, truck starts and runs fine.

The thing is, the battery(or charging system) indicator has been on ever since I broke down. I am guessing that either the battery has been drained so much that it's toast, or the alternator is failing on me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

08-27-2006, 08:32 PM
I would say that you drained the battery passed any return. I di that to three batteries. Now, what caused the batter to draig? I would say that the alternator is gone. I went through 2 batteries in the span of a month. The kept draining until they were fried. I put a new alternator and another battery in and the truck ran fine (when I sold it a month later lol!). Luckily the origional battery was under warranty, so I only ended up buying one of the three batteries. I would start by going to a local Sears and have them check it. If it is dead, replace the battery and alternator just to be safe. It is a cheap preventative fix and you can do it yourself. Buy the battery from sears becuase you get a three year warranty. It has worked in my favor many times now!

08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll prolly do the alt and battery, as the truck's got 110K on it.

- BD

08-28-2006, 11:05 AM
I would say that it is time for them!