PDA

View Full Version : 97 Ranger Battery/Charging System Light came on...

bdoss123
08-27-2006, 07:07 PM
So last week I broke down on the side of the road in the Ranger 4 banger. Figured out that a loose connection on the negative battery post had caused the connector to short/fail. Replaced connector, charged battery, truck starts and runs fine.

The thing is, the battery(or charging system) indicator has been on ever since I broke down. I am guessing that either the battery has been drained so much that it's toast, or the alternator is failing on me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

BD

FearThisDeere
08-27-2006, 08:32 PM
I would say that you drained the battery passed any return. I di that to three batteries. Now, what caused the batter to draig? I would say that the alternator is gone. I went through 2 batteries in the span of a month. The kept draining until they were fried. I put a new alternator and another battery in and the truck ran fine (when I sold it a month later lol!). Luckily the origional battery was under warranty, so I only ended up buying one of the three batteries. I would start by going to a local Sears and have them check it. If it is dead, replace the battery and alternator just to be safe. It is a cheap preventative fix and you can do it yourself. Buy the battery from sears becuase you get a three year warranty. It has worked in my favor many times now!

bdoss123
08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll prolly do the alt and battery, as the truck's got 110K on it.

- BD

FearThisDeere
08-28-2006, 11:05 AM
I would say that it is time for them!