PDA

View Full Version : What should my 2nd hardscaping truck be?

mrusk
08-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Please don't move this to the truck forums.

Next year i am going to be adding 2 employees. Right now i just have 1 helper.
I have a cat 246b and will be adding a 7-10k mini x next year most likely. I bring all my tools to the jobsite in a 18x8 enclosed trailer. Most of my jobs are 2 weeks +, but sometimes i do small walkways. 100% of my materials are deliveried, as i feel thats the most cost effective way to run my business at this size. Majority of my business is hardscaping, but i am starting to do plantings.

Right now i have a 05' Dodge Ram 3/4 ton Cummins. For a 2nd truck i am thinking something 18-25k gvw so i could tow the minx and skid steer at the same time. Thats not a need, but it is perferable. I also would like to stay away from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy if possible. I want a truck that will last. Also i will be buying used. I'd like to spend no more than $25,000.

I got some ideas, but i want to see what you guys come up with first.

Matt

BSDeality
08-29-2006, 12:06 PM
check out ETWman's switch n go system. It's tough to beat that setup he has!

he uses intern. 4700's he buys off lease for peanuts.

jazak
08-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Pete 335 with hooklift or switch and go. Also a GMC 5500 is nice because its a bigger truck but you can still get in 4x4. You may also want to see what Dodge's 4500-5500 series truck will be like. I would get a box for it and also a dump body that should hold you for a while.

srl28
08-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Look at royaltruckequip.com They have used fleet or gov. trucks that they cleanup and puit new bodies on. I've heard great things about them. They have a couple freightliner, gmc, and ford roll-off trucks on ebay now going for about 25-30k. Then you could switch off bodies. I think that a large boxtruck might be a decent option too. Why not a dump? I think that you might save more in the long run by having stuff picked up, especially on small orders.

What kind of mini-ex are you looking at (CAT!?!)

jazak
08-29-2006, 03:09 PM
The problem with royal is that must of the trucks have 150K+ milage on them thats why they're cheap.

srl28
08-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Jazak- Yes and no, First off 150k on those trucks isn't much. A landscape contractor doesn't usually put many miles on a truck anyway. The ones on ebay now are about 100-150k. If the maintenance record is good and you take care of it, that sort of vehicle should last a very long time.

srl28
08-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Mrusk- HAve you given any thought to getting an enclosed utility/service body. That way you'll have the compartments for tools and an enclosed area for other tools and plants. Get an international freightliner,etc and you can tow the trailer too. The enclosed part of the body will also provide plenty of space for advertising/lettering.

mrusk
08-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Ok thanks for the responses. My first thought was to buy a international 4700 with 100-125k take the box off and put on a hook lift. But since it doesn't make sense to pickup materials, i think that idea isn't the best.

Than i am thinking of getting a international 4700 low profile and putting a backpak tool box behind the cab and getting a 12ft flat bed with removalable sides.

I am trying to keep it non cdl so all employees can drive it. I know any driver that tows with it will need a CDL CLASS A.

NO point in buying a box truck or utlity body since i can fit more tools in my enclosed trailer.

Matt

murray83
08-29-2006, 05:10 PM
do you think you can save your money on the mini ex,and look into a backhoe attachment? i know your not into doing much digging so it could save you a few bucks,its up to you.

could a roll of type of trailer interest you?,depending on price that is.

BSDeality
08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
with a hook lift or switch and go on the big trucks you can haul the equipment right on the truck w/o a trailer or use it for pallet material or whatever you choose.

cedarcroft
08-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I have a Intl 4700. great truck and maintained properly will run for 300-400k before a rebuild (dt466 wetsleeve motor)
look into a swap loader for your purposes. you can have a flat bed and when needed hook up the demo bed and drop it on site for any debris that needs to be hauled out. if I was gonna do it again, thats what I would do. I am seriously considering retro fitting my truck with a swap loader for that purpose.
I paid 25k for mine with 140k on it and all new bed, hydrolics, tool box etc.

http://www.danisi.com/swaploader.html

cedarcroft
08-29-2006, 05:18 PM
http://www.danisi.com/swaploader.html

mrusk
08-29-2006, 06:05 PM
I just can't see spending the money for the hooklift. I can call and have a tri axle drop my material off within an hour. It does not make sense for me to do my own deliveries. It doesn't pencil out.

Matt

jazak
08-29-2006, 06:52 PM
So then what do you want?:confused: You don't want a dump, box, flatbed, or hooklift.:dizzy: :dizzy: So go get a pickup if you don't want the above. I think you may not really need the second truck.

forestfireguy
08-29-2006, 07:30 PM
My hardscaping truck is an f-550 with an 11 ft. utility body. The only thing I'd change is having it be a dump/utility. I agree with the logic as far as having things delivered, figure time(at a premium), fuel(need I say more) and the possiblity of multiple trips is it's a large job and deliveries make sense. Most of the time, I can't see wasting a trip to a job and going empty, base, sand, or if I had it delivered and its not enough or is too much it's nice to have a way to handle it. We have several trucks, but again we get into the wasted trip thing, if I need a 1/2 yard of sand for example why would I want to pay for delivery. You can say "if" all you want, things happen, people change their minds about things and having the option to dump if you need to is nice or should I say would be nice.

murray83
08-29-2006, 07:45 PM
the dodge truck is that 4 doors or just a regular?

your 3/4 ton dodge truck (4 door would be nice for the crew and personal use),enclosed trailer,tilt deck equipment trailer,skid steer (bucket and forks) and a backhoe attachment would be a nice small set up.

mrusk
08-29-2006, 08:14 PM
My dodge is a reg cab. I have the dodge, a 18x8 haulmark enclosed trailer, a belmont 18 ft 12 k gvw skid steer trailer, and the cat 246.
I want the 2nd truck so i can send the crew to the job site in the morning alone when i have other stuff to do. I always want the my guys to have a truck on the jobsite whether i am there or not.

Matt

srl28
08-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Get another pickup?? I'm still not certain what exactly it is your lookin for.

murray83
08-29-2006, 08:47 PM
maybe you just need an older 3/4 ton,then let them drive the pi$$ out of it like most employees do.

its cheap,they get their own truck,and you get yours all to yourself again.

jazak
08-29-2006, 10:36 PM
My dodge is a reg cab. I have the dodge, a 18x8 haulmark enclosed trailer, a belmont 18 ft 12 k gvw skid steer trailer, and the cat 246.
I want the 2nd truck so i can send the crew to the job site in the morning alone when i have other stuff to do. I always want the my guys to have a truck on the jobsite whether i am there or not.

Matt

Then just go get another cc 3/4 pickup. Or get a cc dump.

NNJLandman
08-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Hey Matt

Check out the for sale forums, a guy down by me that I know, is selling his international. I couldnt tell you the specs. exactly but its in the forums, its a low profile, removable sides, nice truck, and its in your price range and with the money left over you can buy a trailer for your machines. I think it would be perfect for you. Perfect for planting jobs, the low bed makes loading and unloading very easy but with the diesel engine its a beast. Check it out.

Jeff

Henry
08-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Nevermind what body you want to put on it. I don't think any of those trucks are gonna pull 21k lbs. worth of equipment and trailer. Especially around the hills of sussex county. That only leaves you with 4k for the truck itself.

forestfireguy
08-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Good point........The roads here are certainly not level.

mrusk
08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
How big of a truck do you think i will need to tow 17k worth of equipment? I think that will be the deciding factor on what i buy. I really don't like towing the skid steer with my 3/4 ton.

After all the rain we got, and the rain were expecting its almost make me want to close up shop. I am just so agervated.

Matt

Henry
08-31-2006, 07:01 AM
You'll probably need a truck close to 40k gvw. My Int. 4700 has a gvw of 17500 and weighs 11,340 lbs.

landscapingpoolguy
09-04-2006, 08:17 PM
My new HVR is only rated to pull like 18k max and that would be with trailer and all. Seriously If you Want to pull two machines go for a tandum if not check your pms and check out my 4700 for sale.

tthomass
09-04-2006, 10:36 PM
I was looking at the swap loader site posted...........whats the point? Are you buying 2 beds for 1 truck? I see taking the bed off and pulling a machine on and then putting hte bed back on the truck but other than that, well I don't get it. I just keep thinking of a roll off dumpster truck.

murray83
09-05-2006, 07:54 PM
the hooklift you mean?

a dump box,a flat bed,maybe a hydroseeder set up,a small enclosed box for tools,all with one truck instead of tons of trailers or other trucks,i'm seriously pondering the idea myself,just no money and time to retro fit the beds at this time.