PDA

View Full Version : Which maple to choose

clc2003
08-30-2006, 01:41 AM
I am in the market for a new maple tree in my yard and don't know for sure which one I want. I have been looking some on the internet, but the more I look, the more I am confused. I want a maple with good fall color. By this I am thinking red or red/orange. At first I was thinking Red Maple, but have seen a picture of a Sugar Maple that was also good looking. I don't think I liked the October Glory, but then again u guys know how pictures don't do things justice. Please help me find what I am looking for or other suggestions of places with more pics that might make decision easier.

Thanks

Grassmechanic
08-31-2006, 10:34 AM
October Glory is an absolutely beautiful tree for fall color. The only suggestion I could give you is to wait until the trees start turning in your area and then go visit the nurseries.

TforTexas
08-31-2006, 02:06 PM
The problem is that the choice is a personal one. What your asking is which one has the color you like and only you can answer that.

MudslinginFX4
08-31-2006, 02:09 PM
October Glory is an absolutely beautiful tree for fall color. The only suggestion I could give you is to wait until the trees start turning in your area and then go visit the nurseries.

I agree that October Glory has a beautiful color in the fall. This tree typically turns colors later then the rest of the trees, leaving it standing out among the rest when all of the others have turned brown or have dropped their leaves. We put out a bunch of these, just be careful, when fully grown they get pretty big.

mebanesox7
09-26-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't know about in the fall but i know that a Japanese maple is a beautiful tree. Not the cheapest tree you'll find though.

Travel'n Trees
09-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Here in K.C. the october glory sunburns bad, and the trunk splits real bad due freezing tempatures. Both of these are caused by the trunk holding to much water

dave k
09-29-2006, 07:41 AM
I like the Autumn Blaze maple, have 5 of them. Good from Zone 3 to 8, urban tree of the year for 2003, Google Autum blaze and check it out, a nice red/orange color, you won't be disappointed, good luck to you, let us know what you decide. Stay away from the siver maples, trash trees!

cancan
10-05-2006, 11:35 PM
the red maples are what they are...good trees...slightly overused maybe but good trees....

have a look at Trident maple Acer burgeranum....nice tree for smaller spaces, doesnt get as big a red maple

also ive had good luck with and really like the seedless sweetgums liquidamabar syraciflua "rotundaloba" or "happidaze" ......just a thought.

Jason Rose
10-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Autumn Blaze is good, very popular as stated. Also susceptible to sun scald and splitting in the winter in the first 5 years or so. Best to wrap the trunks with the white trunk wrap in the winter to reflect the suns heat.