PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut tall grass down

tacoma200
08-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Being no expert at how other do this I am wondering what the best way to cut tall grass, lets say 7-8" down to 3.25". Should I cut the grass at 3.25 and then go over it at a higher setting. Or should i cut just a little off at a time, say 2" the first pass and 2" the second pass. I mow alot of overgrown lawns and would like the method that leaves the least possible clipping problems. I know I have read post where they cut it with a side discharge the first pass at the lower height and them go over it with a mulcher deck at a slightly higher setting to make the clippings disappear. I will be side discharging only. What works best for you. I have been cutting it to 3.25 on the first pass and then raising the deck to spread clippings the second pass on nicer lawns. Grass is growing extremely fast right now due to high amounts of rain. All comments welcome.

Precision
08-30-2006, 09:52 AM
for that slight amount of overgrowth, I would cut on the first pass at 4.5 inches or something close in a N - S pattern Then lower it to 3.25 and cut again in a E - W pattern. I find this gives a much better final appearance. The first cut is a little ragged, but you know you are gonna come back and fix that. Also the clippings are already at a max of 2 inches, so on the second pass they are more finely chopped and will disperse Better. Then as a final, if it needs to be great quality (which I doubt if they are overgrown to start with) I use the blower to disperse any remaining clumbs or winrows.

On small properties 1/3 to 1/4 acre that are seriously overgrown. +12" to be cut off. I first cut it down to about 5 inches with a brush blade, then come in with the mower and mow slowly. Does 2 things. One I get to walk the property and find bricks, cement posts and the like with a $300 peice of equipment, not a $9000 one. Second, the most difficult part of high grass is getting the first cut down and a brush blade will go through it way faster than a mower. No deck to clog.

tacoma200
08-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks, cut some tall wet grass the way you suggested today and it seemed to work well. I'm having to mow between and during showers.

iluvscag
08-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Use a scythe.

srl28
08-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Use a machine that has a higher Horsepower! Cut a little at a time in one direction and then lower the deck and go in the opposing direction. Like Precision said!

tacoma200
08-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Use a machine that has a higher Horsepower! Cut a little at a time in one direction and then lower the deck and go in the opposing direction. Like Precision said!
I have enough hp to cut it down the first time. Its the clippings and the look of the final cut I'm interested in. I'm getting picky, which is a good thing in this business.

Precision
08-31-2006, 06:37 PM
I have enough hp to cut it down the first time. Its the clippings and the look of the final cut I'm interested in. I'm getting picky, which is a good thing in this business.

yes being picky is a good thing. but only so long as it doesn't interrupt profits.

Marginal lawns will look marginal no matter how picky we are.
doing marginal work on great lawns shows very poorly on us
doing great work on marginal lawns is just a waste of time, unless they are paying for improvements.

Precision
08-31-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks, cut some tall wet grass the way you suggested today and it seemed to work well. I'm having to mow between and during showers.
your welcome. we do alot of that down here in Florida.

Next week I am gonna be cutting alot of tall grass.
Ernesto coupled with a broken mower have sidelined me Wed, 1/2 of thursday and all of Friday.

So next week is gonna suck. Double cuts everywhere.

tacoma200
08-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Sorry about the bad luck. My luck is not that bad its just raining every day and I want the lawns to look as good as possible because they are growing fairly fast (faster than spring). I guess that's good luck with all the rain, just a little harder to keep up. I like to send the guys in OK an TX a little of it.

Precision
09-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry about the bad luck. My luck is not that bad its just raining every day and I want the lawns to look as good as possible because they are growing fairly fast (faster than spring). I guess that's good luck with all the rain, just a little harder to keep up. I like to send the guys in OK an TX a little of it.

They could certainly use it.

K c m
09-01-2006, 05:46 PM
what i do is with my WB. Ride behind it or walk with the deck tilted up (wheels off the ground 8") and cut the whole yard. Then put it down and go from there.