PDA

View Full Version : New pickup...which one?

mkwl
08-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I've started my search for the perfect pickup truck, and wanted to see what you guys all recommend. I'm considering the Chevy 2500HD, GMC 2500HD, Ford F250/350, and Dodge 2500. I am thinking I want a diesel, since I want the power and better fuel milage compared to a gas engine. I would be getting a regular or extended cab with the long bed, but I don't want a crew cab or a short bed. What would you recommend...gas or diesel, and what brand. Also, is it better to buy certified used or new...is it really worth the $$$ for a new truck vs. a 2-4 year old certified truck? I have around $23,000 maximum to spend.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

jazak
08-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Well if you're want to by now take that $23K and put it in the bank becuase FORD is offering 0 DOWN & 0% FOR 72 MONTHS!! I would go new because of the great financing plus you will have a 5-6 year 60K mile warranty which is great. I would defanaitly go diesel because of how high gas is, more power, less problems, and overall they are a much better motor. Any way they will soon be offering bio-diesel wich will cost less then regular diesel but can still be run through a regular diesel motor with NO ajustments or accesories. Out of the trucks it really depends on what you like and which truck you think looks better because in the end they all last and run about the same.

TWUllc
08-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Wouldn't buy a diesel if you don't need it. Save the money.

dvmcmrhp52
08-30-2006, 06:56 PM
You won't be buying a new diesel 2500 for $23,000, even in 2 wheel drive you're still a little short.

lawnmaniac883
08-30-2006, 07:30 PM
You won't be buying a new diesel 2500 for $23,000, even in 2 wheel drive you're still a little short.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ALarsh
08-30-2006, 07:37 PM
You can get a new work truck 2500HD gas for that price though... Or go slightly used.

Jpocket
08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
If your buying a 2-3 year old truck I think the better deal is always to go new, unless you can find a private owner selling for $15,000

fiveoboy01
08-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Um, diesel is more expensive than gas right now, at least here.

Ford does have the 0% for 72mo but you'd have to take delivery by september 5th. I took advantage of this offer and bought a new truck. But I only got the 5.4 in mine, because I'm not hauling around anything heavier than an open trailer with a couple mowers on it.

You could always put 20K down on something, have a low payment and pay it off quickly, banking the other 3K. But that's your decision, of course. Myself, I like the fact you can get a warranty with a new vehicle purchase. But then again, if the truck you're buying is not too old, it might have some factory warranty remaining if it's transferrable.

If you're hauling anything heavy, go for a diesel. Mileage is comparable to gas unloaded, but the gas mileage will drop much more when loaded.

Of course for 23K, you can get a pretty nice used 3/4-ton or 1-ton diesel with low miles.

mcwlandscaping
08-30-2006, 10:15 PM
D-MAX if you can find one used in your price range!!!!

DodgeTruckMan731
08-30-2006, 10:39 PM
D-MAX if you can find one used in your price range!!!!

^^^^ ditto, but if you cant find one in your price range, go with the Dodge

MMLawn
08-30-2006, 10:55 PM
I've started my search for the perfect pickup truck, and wanted to see what you guys all recommend. I'm considering the Chevy 2500HD, GMC 2500HD, Ford F250/350, and Dodge 2500. I am thinking I want a diesel, since I want the power and better fuel milage compared to a gas engine. I would be getting a regular or extended cab with the long bed, but I don't want a crew cab or a short bed. What would you recommend...gas or diesel, and what brand. Also, is it better to buy certified used or new...is it really worth the $$$ for a new truck vs. a 2-4 year old certified truck? I have around $23,000 maximum to spend.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Wouldn't you be better off "starting your search" for a drivers license first....... since you are only 15 years old........ :laugh:

Blk94fiveOh
08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
I recently moved up from a gas powered chevy 3/4 ton to an 05 ford superduty diesel, and I can honestly say I will never own a gas powered truck again. The difference is night and day in ALL aspects. Those of you who are saying there is no difference in fuel milage have obviously never owned a diesel. Where my chevy got 10-12 mpg on the highway, my ford will get 19-20 (and that is at 75mph). I seem to get about 14-15mpg around town, and get about 12-13mpg towing a 26' enclosed trailer. The chevy got a pitiful 5 mpg towing the same trailer.

Don't get me wrong, the chevy was a good truck, it has 180,000 on it and I still own it. But the difference between diesel, and gas are enormous.

dvmcmrhp52
08-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Wouldn't you be better off "starting your search" for a drivers license first....... since you are only 15 years old........ :laugh:

If you're right Mike, according to his profile he's been in business since he's 8 years old...........................;)
I really need to start paying attention to these things.

J&R Landscaping
09-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Personally, I am a huge diesel freak but because I found a great deal on a used f250 gasser, I bought it. The truck has a 5.8 efi in it and doesn't do as bad as I thought it would on gas. As much as I would love a diesel truck, I just can't justify it at the moment. The GMC 6.0 is a good motor. I personally think the interior is a bit nicer on the GM work trucks than the Ford work trucks but that choice is yours.

The diesels do have more costs associatted with them when it comes to maintnence and such. Good Luck!

mkwl
09-05-2006, 07:49 AM

Nope, wrong again, I just turned 16 in July, with a permit!:hammerhead: