PDA

View Full Version : Should I convert to propane?

ALarsh
08-30-2006, 07:22 PM
It was just on the news that propane will be the future fuel source for lawn mowers. According to WISN 12 news, the government will start checking emissions in small engines in 4 years. It costs $800 to convert and the engine will burn cleaner, use less fuel, more efficient and last longer. When gas was at $3.00 per gallon, propane was a little over $1.50 (according to news station). You can convert ANY gas lawn mower over to propane.

Sound good?

TWUllc
08-30-2006, 07:40 PM
No thanks.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-30-2006, 07:56 PM
LOL soon as a bunch start going to propane for fuel it will be $3.00 a gallon, no thanx Im sticking with gas.

wayne

Keith
08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
If they start checking emissions on mowers, are they going to find anything wrong with yours? I mean, it was sold that way. They can't very well tell you that you have to comply with some 2010 standard on a mower that was sold years before. And honestly, on a side note, I'm kind of shocked mowers don't already come with catalytic converters.

And I agree with grass_cuttin_fool. Trying to save money converting to different fuels, for the most part, is hopeless. Seems like with all fuels it's getting to the point they are charging by the BTU.

newz7151
08-30-2006, 08:31 PM
You can convert ANY gas lawn mower over to propane.

I can just see the $99 Wal-Mart special, with a propane tank hooked up to it that weighs more and is worth more than the mower!:laugh: :laugh:

DLCS
08-30-2006, 09:04 PM
LOL soon as a bunch start going to propane for fuel it will be $3.00 a gallon, no thanx Im sticking with gas.

wayne

Right, remember when diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline? Wasn't too long ago. Every Tom, Dick and Harry went out and bought diesel pick-ups, even though they don't need a diesel and the price over shot gasoline.

Hummer
09-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Propane is already being used by such things as fork lifts & floor buffers that are used inside supermarkets right next to all the food that you eat.

Daner
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
First of all propane tanks on mowers would be too clumbsy...Plus... a Pita to get them refilled.
I,m a gas and Diesel man.

ed2hess
09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Propane is starting to be used in our area. The Scag/Ferris dealer does the conversions and sells the Propane. Some folks are getting government grants to convert. They claim that they run very clean and oil changes are less frequent. I don't know if you can compare gallon to gallon prices, I haven't heard anyone says it was a LOT cheaper to run Propane. All the govt agencies are now required to run propane. The rumor is that all lawn services that pay state taxes will be required to show a plan to reduce polution by a certain percent in the next 5 years.

lawnmaniac883
09-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Anyone know if the suburban propane trucks run off of propane or not? I was wondering about this last time I saw one drive by........?

Az Gardener
09-12-2006, 08:19 PM
This is what they wont tell you about propane. Here it is taxed differently based on the use. The Gov't wants you to use it for equip, vehicles etc. so they offer lower tax rates at point of sale. The problem is at the stations they don't differentiate between cooking use and everything else. They tax it at the higher rate and it makes it too expensive. You try and explain it to the guy at the pump and they just shrug. Here propane is as much as reg gas. I have a (natural gas) CNG /reg fuel combo truck and my CNG is 1.85 per gal but only available at municipal yards, schools, cities etc.