PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Guarantee

EPIC
08-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Does Any One Have A Guarantee On The Landscape They Install And Do You Have A Guarantee Form That I Would Be Able To Use Please Help Thank You

Ric3077
09-02-2006, 12:33 AM
I guarantee everything for 1 year...no form though

olderthandirt
09-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Guarenteed for the calander yr. If they follow the written instuctions and I have them sign my copy in case they say they never got instuctions. No form

Prolawnservice
09-02-2006, 07:28 PM
What could be wrong with a plant that would take a full year to show up? Chances are if its still alive after 60 days anything that happens afterwards is the customers fault for one reason or another.:hammerhead:

olderthandirt
09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
What could be wrong with a plant that would take a full year to show up? Chances are if its still alive after 60 days anything that happens afterwards is the customers fault for one reason or another.:hammerhead:

Customers point of view is, 1 yr guarentee vrs. 60 day guarentee. Not a hard choice to make

Ric3077
09-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Also, the customer knows if they go to HD or Lowe's they can plant it themselves and get a 1 year guarantee...but we as pro's only guarantee it for 60 days? NO WAY we know what we are doing and it is our job to educate the customer as to when and how often to water etc...for the most part as long as they water it the first few weeks...it should be fine. I always add peat moss so if they don't water it will help keep the plant moist longer. Also if it's a weekly cutting customer and you see the shrub getting crispy...just tell them, "Mrs. No Water, if you would like these to grow put a lil water on 'em." Bringing it up once usually gets it done.

DJL50
09-03-2006, 01:23 AM
I run a retail garden center and we guarantee our tree shrubs and perennials for one year. I have even thought of going to 2 or 3 years just because the customer very seldom takes advantage of the warranty after a few short weeks of purchase. Our return rate is lower than 1% of rate of sale. It is just something to make the customer feel more comfortable purchasing a $100 tree they may fear they will kill and be out the money.
One word of caution. The warranty use to be we will replace the plant or refund your money. Now it is refund your money only . I got a deal on some very large Azaleas one year (sold well below reg retail). A customer purchased a truckload of them. Killed most of them that winter. I did not have any in stock so I was going to refund her money. She said the Guarantee was replace the plant. She did not want her money back. Long story short I ended up buying new ones for 4 times the price she paid to replace them. That hurt big time. The reason for the "replace the plant" warranty was in most cases it would be cheaper for me to replace (at my wholesale cost) than to refund the retail price.
We just give a customer a 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper printed up with the warranty info and staple the receipt to it. We are very firm on No receipt, no warranty.

Ric3077
09-03-2006, 01:54 AM
I am part owner in a Nursery in MA and we do 1 year if the customer buys the plant/tree and plants it themselves, or 2 years if our crew installs it.

nlminc
09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
One of my customers killed their new Forest Pansy I planted for them in May. We went into a drought and their county had a complete watering ban for at least one week. I'm there weekly and kept reminding them to water the tree..............but it never got watered. I watered it a few times while I was there.
Two weeks ago I get a note with my payment for their monthly lawn care stating the tree is dead hint hint you need to replace it.

Would you replace the tree or tell them they are on their own? Remember, they are a decent monthly customer. I've already decided I will replace the tree, but will leave it btwn the customer and the nursery if this one dies within the year. I can't be running out to replace trees and losing money due to their negligence.