PDA

View Full Version : How to get employees to respect equipment

DBL
09-01-2006, 06:59 PM
we just cant find anyone who doesnt gun the accelerator from stops in the trucks. run the equipment full bore shut them off still hot and just abuse them when no ones watching what do you guys do about this

dKoester
09-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Ask them do they still want their job. I would not have anyone on my crew that didn't respect me or my equipment. I'm glad I don't have this problem. I had one guy that joined my crew and he would gun the equipment so I just pointed it out and he understood no problem. Great workers are hard to find so when you get one keep'em.

dcondon
09-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Ask them do they still want their job. I would not have anyone on my crew that didn't respect me or my equipment. I'm glad I don't have this problem. I had one guy that joined my crew and he would gun the equipment so I just pointed it out and he understood no problem. Great workers are hard to find so when you get one keep'em.
Very well said. It's so hard to find someone that will do what you ask plus all the other things that go into a business.

ECS
09-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Ditto!!!!!!!

fulano
09-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Make an example of one guy by firing him. Maybe the rest of the crew will get with it if they felt their jobs were in jeopardy.

olderthandirt
09-01-2006, 10:38 PM

I agree about the "Great workers are hard to find so when you get one keep'em." but I think you don't just "find" them, you create them. What do you think happens when your not around? Human nature takes over with the attitude of what he don't know won't hurt him.

I'd have the crew miss a days work with out pay while maintenance is done on the equipment, or make it 2 guys one day and another 2 guys the next etc. When the workers pay is affected by the way they take care or abuse equipment is when they start paying attention. Be sure to make it clear that the added maintenance is from abuse and explain how they can avoid losing any more time off and pay

cuttinjoe
09-02-2006, 06:42 AM
I'll agree sometimes equipment breaks and sometimes its employee fault. But........ There are also times when preventive maintenance could have helped. Two weeks ago 1 bolt on the ZD21 seat broke. I told the boss and he says " what did ya hit?" Well this week the bolt still had not been replaced and another broke. Both back bolts that hold the seat in place are now missing. Its like driving a lazy boy around.:cool2:

Alot of blame gets put on employees heads, but its not always their fault. Some bosses lead by bad example. Mine likes to clean out the toro Z by doing wheelies and then dropping down hard on the ground. If I do this and then it breaks something am I at fault?:nono:

Make sure you lead by example.

Brianslawn
09-02-2006, 02:20 PM
do what tgcl does. charge them for damage that was their fault.

Dirty Water
09-02-2006, 02:25 PM
do what tgcl does. charge them for damage that was their fault.

Thats actually not legal in my state.

And even if it was, I wouldn't do it.

Green Pastures
09-02-2006, 02:36 PM

Why not?

I just don't see anything wrong with making people take responsibility for wrong actions.

Assuming you know the damage was caused by negligent or abusive behavior.

I'd definetly make them pay and then make them go through more training.

Someone said you make your employees what they are, I submit that is true, or you ALLOW them to be what they are.

DBL
09-02-2006, 03:00 PM
ive told them that stuff happens and things break but if its their fault their fixing it

MarcSmith
09-02-2006, 03:09 PM
how about this....I have found a couple times employee's putting away equipment that is in need of repair. Ie letting the next person find the problem....Basically not fessing up when something breaks. Putting a blower back with a broken pull cord...

I have never "yelled" at anyone for bringing an equipment issue to me. But when I find something broken that has not been reported everyone gets a azz chewing.....

The last time it happened I put everyone on notice, from the senior crew leaders down to the laborers. If I find another peice of equipment put away broken or I'm not notified of a mechanical issue, the entire crew will cut the front lawns(5 acres) with 21" push mowers.

Id be willing to take the loss of productivtiy for some punitive pnishment.

I realize that you guys can't do this kind of thing. but so far, one month with no unreported issues...

Brianslawn
09-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Thats actually not legal in my state.

have them sign a contract agreeing to it. im sure tgcl is in your state and does it there too.

Jpocket
09-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I'll agree sometimes equipment breaks and sometimes its employee fault. But........ There are also times when preventive maintenance could have helped. Two weeks ago 1 bolt on the ZD21 seat broke. I told the boss and he says " what did ya hit?" Well this week the bolt still had not been replaced and another broke. Both back bolts that hold the seat in place are now missing. Its like driving a lazy boy around.:cool2:

Alot of blame gets put on employees heads, but its not always their fault. Some bosses lead by bad example. Mine likes to clean out the toro Z by doing wheelies and then dropping down hard on the ground. If I do this and then it breaks something am I at fault?:nono:

Make sure you lead by example.

LOL I have cleaned my deck by doig a quick wheelie b4 exiting the driveway so that I don't leave a pile of grass diahria for the guys to blow. No thats not a good idea for employees to see this, not good for the hydro pumps at all

MarcSmith
09-04-2006, 09:19 AM
LOL I have cleaned my deck by doig a quick wheelie b4 exiting the driveway so that I don't leave a pile of grass diahria for the guys to blow. No thats not a good idea for employees to see this, not good for the hydro pumps at all

If be more worried about the front casters, bearings, races, and frame.

Jpocket
09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
If be more worried about the front casters, bearings, races, and frame.

Yea mostly the frame...I do have a LAZER which we don't use anymore that has been broken in four different places all welded back together, The frame has never been true since.

POPO4995
10-14-2006, 03:07 PM
DBL...

I tell my guys that abuse, neglect, or misuse of equipment will mean termination of employment. I understand that things break but when your being an idiot with the equipment, it falls on you. Common sense is all I ask!

John Gamba
10-14-2006, 03:08 PM
we just cant find anyone who doesnt gun the accelerator from stops in the trucks. run the equipment full bore shut them off still hot and just abuse them when no ones watching what do you guys do about this

Get rid of them in front of everybody.

Jake Wolf
10-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Help your employees understand the costs of purchasing and maintaining your equipment. If you can put a desired lifetime on the equipment and a maintenance schedule with cash bonus for exceeding the life of the equipment, I guaruntee they will instantly handle your equipment better than before.

I'm getting rich by treating my employees well. What about you?

huh
10-14-2006, 05:25 PM
look at your monthly maintance expenses and yearly equipment replacement cost and then tell the crew that as those expenses go DOWN significantly they might get a percentage of that cost savings as a bonus

DBL
10-14-2006, 05:28 PM
oh they know how much it costs ive instilled it in their head also its getting better after i blew up on them a few times servicing the mowers monday before leaves well see if theres any problems

MarcSmith
10-15-2006, 11:39 AM
If you can put a desired lifetime on the equipment and a maintenance schedule with cash bonus for exceeding the life of the equipment,

The issue here is not many employee's hang around for the "life" of a perticular peice of equipment. You looking at 3-5 years... for most of the equipment, and how oftet does a peice of equipment migrate or get borrowed and moved to another truck or crew.

I see alot of talk of giving the employee's money for care for the stuff, rather then give a special bonus, just tie their equipment responsiblity into their annual raises. care for the equipment is to be expected as part of the job, not something to be rewarded. Woudl you give someone a bonus for laying sod properly?

And rather than than try to hold everyone accountable, Id hold just your crew leaders accountable. And when they complain about a particular employee not caring for ther equipment, take the complain to heart.

topsites
10-16-2006, 10:01 AM

They either sell a device or you can make it yourself, my older bmw's come with it, I never quite figured out why they'd put it in those cars, but it's a steel pin that rests on the floor board and when properly adjusted, hits against the back of the gas pedal, like a governor of sorts.

In the case of the bmw's, the pin's height is adjustable (which also defeats the purpose in your case), but basically you might weld a steel pin of some kind to the floorboard of your truck in such a way that it stops the gas pedal from going down but so far, now you have to do some experimenting so that you don't inadvertently leave them a truck with NO power lol, but I'd say give them 70-80% max. throttle and you should be gtg.

Then, tampering with the pin is cause for dismissal, that type of thing.
Roughly, like so:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/pedalpin.jpg

MarcSmith
10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
with the advent of the PCM on most cars and the ability to easily reprogram the cars. you shoudl be able to electronically govern the engine rpm's and even the speed....

PROCUT1
10-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Weld PINS? Reprogram truck computers?

You guy have to be kidding,

Simple

" I see you mash on the gas like that in one of my trucks again and your fired"

No welding or computer equipment needed.

MarcSmith
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Pro, but the kicker is that you cannot be in every truck every day... and having a computer such that you can actually work on your own trucks, rather than pay a dealer 90 an hour to play computer tech does make some sense.

Heck Uhual and manyof the major trucking companies do govern/limit their engine/road speeds, so its not like its too far fetched of an idea....

RockSet N' Grade
10-16-2006, 04:14 PM
My way has been a bit different. I have had jackets made with a real nice embroidery emblem on the back. I wear mine all the time, and the guys ask me when they get one. My response is "when you earn it." I told them what I expect with the equipment, no gum wrappers, no empty pop cans left on jobs, clean trailer and clean truck interiors. Finally, after awhile, one guy got the picture and I gave him a jcacket ( cost me about $175 ). After that, these other guys started catching on.....and then again, some just didn't care, and they're down the road anyway. So, having a jacket became my way of motivating my guys. Firing them doesn't seem to work in a hot economy.....jobs are a dime a dozen.