PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer

PGold
09-01-2006, 10:46 PM
What do you think about this trailer? Do you think it is a lot better to go with a gooseneck?

http://adcache.equipmenttraderonline.com/9/4/4/82025744.htm

Mike33
09-01-2006, 10:52 PM
What kind of truck are you pulling with and how much weight are you planning on hauling? I hope i dont get blasted for this , but i never seen a dump trailer in a goose neck before.
Mike

FearThisDeere
09-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I have the same questions as Mike. I have seen goosneck dumps all the time. I would go with one if I had a need for it. I see them on Ebay a lot. The truck you show does not have a goosneck. It has a pintle hitch, unless I am missing something. A pintle hitch is just as good as a ball hitch if not better. I think it is a little stronger. Much easier to hook up as well.

Mike33
09-02-2006, 12:23 AM
I have the same questions as Mike. I have seen goosneck dumps all the time. I would go with one if I had a need for it. I see them on Ebay a lot. The truck you show does not have a goosneck. It has a pintle hitch, unless I am missing something. A pintle hitch is just as good as a ball hitch if not better. I think it is a little stronger. Much easier to hook up as well.
i was serious i have never seen a goose neck dump in my area. comparing ball to pintle no comparision to me. Pintle all the way, i dont trust ball hitches.
Mike

PGold
09-02-2006, 01:16 AM
I have a 2000 powerstroke f250 and I want to be able to tow as much as possible all the time. Most of the time it will be with trees, concrete, and other things. My hitch is only rated for 15,000. I can get a 25,000 pound gooseneck hitch, and pay three thousand more for the same trailer. I was just wondering if what everyone's opinions were on towing dump trailers. My friend has a 2006 f350, and I was shocked by the fact that he was able to tow the same amount of concrete as an 15 yard tandem. He has a 24,000 G.V.W.R. all pro trailer. I am going to be using it for towing a skid steer, and towing debris. I don't want to have two trailers, so I will be using the dump trailer to pull my skid steer around. I was thinking that having a 24,000 gvwr trailer would weigh 6,000 or more pounds and it would be awful maneuvering. I am just trying to find the right size trailer for my needs.

General Landscaping
09-02-2006, 01:49 AM
Make sure....get it in writing..... that it is built to dump at full load.

There are some crappy trailers running around that after a few years will push the ram through the floor or rip off the attachment points when dumping a full load.

tnmtn
09-02-2006, 02:44 AM
with weights as high as a gooseneck dump trailer can tow would there be issues when dumping. what i mean is would it lift the towing trucks rear end of the ground when dumping. it seems the wheels are in the middle of the trailer. 10,000 or more lbs. seems like a lot on the end of the seesaw.
metin

nac
09-02-2006, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=PGold] My friend has a 2006 f350, and I was shocked by the fact that he was able to tow the same amount of concrete as an 15 yard tandem. He has a 24,000 G.V.W.R. all pro trailer. I dont know what kind of concrete you guys have out there, but where I am from a 15 cy truck full of concrete is about 45,000 lb of concrete only

Mike33
09-02-2006, 03:56 PM
i assume we are talking about everyone having duallys? I dont know that is still a hell of a lot of weight. Single or dually we are still talking about pick up trucks hauling, handling, and stopping too. My theory and im wrong a lot when we talk these kind of weights thats why Kenwoth, Peterbilt, Mack, etc., is in business for.
Mike

Mike33
09-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Also you say only 15,000! Thats still one hell of a load. I pull my hydro-seeder with 350 6.0 srw. My load consist of 1000 gal. of water 8500 lbs. seeder around 600 lbs, 300 lbs of grass seed, 300 lbs of fertlizer, 150 lbs of lime, 20 40lb bales of mulch 800 lbs. All yields 9900 lbs on treiler plus the weight of my 12000 gvw trailer. This is a stiff load to me it squats rear end some not bad though, i can pull and stop okey but i sure dont want any more weight. I even make sure i pull it very little distance ,also we have streams every where i find the closest 5 mile max.
Mike

Earth and Turf
09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I think you are crazy :hammerhead: trying to pull that much with a pickup. The Co. I work for part time used to pull a 287 cat on a gooseneck flatbed they put brakes on the truck every 6 months and brakes on the trailer every year. they did this for 2 years truck was a 2004 chevy 3500 dually with duramax it had over 115,000 on it when they traded it for a chevy 5500 with a dump now we have a 10 ton tag trailer. You would not belive the difference. If I were you I would buy a 2 ton dump truck with a flatbed for your skid steer. You said you wanted to pull it all the time. I am here to tell you I have seen dump trailers push trucks all over the place. They are nice but It can go extremely ugly. If you do get one be sure to get the gooseneck. I wish you well. Be Careful

PGold
09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
The concrete wasn't crushed concrete. It was from pulling up a slab. I assume that would be about half the weight of crushed 15 yards. It seems somewhere around 20,000 to 25,000 mabye more.