PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Generac motor ?

chuck bow
09-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Thinking ( just thinking ) of buying a dixie with the Generac motor and need some feed back . I have 2 choices of mowers brands now that dealer has switched One being Ferris and other being Dixie . Tested both and really like them both , need some feedback

dcondon
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
We have one on a 72" Tank and lots of power. It likes gas and does not like rain because it will not start. It has over 1100 hrs and still running smooth.

pugs
09-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Even if they made the best engine on the planet, I could not recommend them. Every time I need a part for a generac engine it involves calling them to either get a parts breakdown or figure out what part goes on that particular engine. And then they are about clueless when it comes to the engines. They keep asking for the numbers off the generator that the engine is on...

Their dealer startup kit includes a disc and some paper manuals that cover almost nothing I ever see. Seems every one I get in for service is one I dont have a parts manual for.

Until they get a parts lookup system similar to what Kohler, Briggs, and Kawasaki have online or at least a complete fiche, paper or CD that includes every engine they have ever made I will continue to steer people away from them.

In short...stay away. Get a Kawasaki, Kohler, Briggs Vanguard, Honda...

REALSLOW
09-02-2006, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=pugs]Even if they made the best engine on the planet, I could not recommend them. Every time I need a part for a generac engine it involves calling them to either get a parts breakdown or figure out what part goes on that particular engine. And then they are about clueless when it comes to the engines. They keep asking for the numbers off the generator that the engine is on...

Their dealer startup kit includes a disc and some paper manuals that cover almost nothing I ever see. Seems every one I get in for service is one I dont have a parts manual for.

Until they get a parts lookup system similar to what Kohler, Briggs, and Kawasaki have online or at least a complete fiche, paper or CD that includes every engine they have ever made I will continue to steer people away from them. Quote]

Hey Mr. Pugs, how good are the Vanguards and which motors do you think are the best? oh and I like the way you rip on the artificial MTD Cub products. What were the early problems you saw with Cub tanks they should not have? I am asking because I can always get a good deal on one.

WildLake
09-02-2006, 09:22 PM
A friend had two of them die on his dixie under warranty. He finally had the dealer install a kohler instead.

TURF DOCTOR
09-02-2006, 09:25 PM
You have scag listed whatz up with that.

chuck bow
09-02-2006, 09:44 PM
My dealer lost the scag line < area dist, put it in a larger store. John deere dealer named reynolds euip. is now the dealer and i refuse to do business with them as i have had trouble with them in past . My business cant stand to have a mower in the shop for 2 weeks being worked on . They dont even have a clue about scag as since the scag line went there i have tryed to get parts 3 times .... 2 times the parts had to be shipped to me as they didnt have them ( simple idler pully and a deck belt ) and the other time i went to get a oil filter ( 24 horse honda ) They didnt know this motor didnt use a honda filter it uses after market filter dist by scag because it has a remote filter on it , and all they said was damn we didnt know that . You would think if you are going to sell the line you should know at least something about it .I flat refuse to by anything new from them and i will be phasing my scag mowers out to a different brand such as a dixie or ferris . I hate to do this as i have been running Scag for 13 years but damn my business cant tolerate the crap the new dealer is pulling. If all the commercial cutters in muncie switch from scag to what ever old dealer is selling now they will be alot of red or silver mowers out there instead of orange

TURF DOCTOR
09-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I see,generac talk is they are a top moter they are a few here that run dixie choppers.

olderthandirt
09-02-2006, 10:57 PM
I've got a couple generac motors but on generators and pressure washers and in the 6-7 yrs that I've had them not once have they failed me or needed any repair. I like them and will buy them again. Kohlers is the engine that had all the trouble in the 90s that I would never own again.
But to each his own.

Envy Lawn Service
09-03-2006, 12:34 AM
I think when they first started putting them on Dixie's they had some problems.
But as I understand it, all that is behind them.
I believe that is also the reason so many models are out there.

A friend of mine who is a Dixie tech loves them.

Tharrell
09-03-2006, 06:57 AM
I ran a Bob-Cat predator the other day with the 26 on it. I liked it. Not too sure about the reliability or parts issue though. Time will tell.

wriken
09-03-2006, 08:23 AM
We have one on a 72" Tank and lots of power. It likes gas and does not like rain because it will not start. It has over 1100 hrs and still running smooth.
1313 to be exact

Envy Lawn Service
09-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I ran a Bob-Cat predator the other day with the 26 on it. I liked it. Not too sure about the reliability or parts issue though. Time will tell.
They have those that go on up to the 33hp and you can get them with a 61" !!!

The dealer here has one... been meaning to ask what he wants for it just out of curiousity.

SproulsLawnCare
09-03-2006, 08:44 PM
It sounds like several of you have had some problems with the Generic motors. My Kawasaki seems to run pretty good, so I guess I will stick with it.

pugs
09-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Yah, we are a Bobcat dealer and I wouldnt even try to sell one with a Generac on it. Unless someone specifically wanted that model I would never suggest/recommend it.

Our Bobcat distributor is also supposed to be the area distributor for Generac. I called them up once to ask about their parts lookup ability...they had little more than I did. Their parts guy told me the same thing I have experienced...it usually requires at least 1 phone call to figure out what you need if not more.

According to my salesman they were planning to put some smaller generacs on their walkbehinds as well...however those have never materialized. And the last time he was out I told him they need to put some Kohlers or big block Vanguards on the Predator Pro models and he just kinda shook his head and said "I know"...

I guess in the end any engine is great until it doesnt run...

Tharrell
09-04-2006, 09:27 AM
I ran one of those 33 hp's at the shop, it was a monster! I delivered a Bunton 72 with a 33 liquid cooled Daihatsu 2 years ago, it was a monster too. I'm gonna ask about the parts lookup issue Tuesday when the shop reopens.

metro36
09-04-2006, 10:42 AM
I have one on a generator and it works great. Hard to start though. I think it is a 10 horse. It is hard to pull start and has no electric start. I would go with something different in this situation.:)

pugs
09-04-2006, 12:28 PM
I ran one of those 33 hp's at the shop, it was a monster! I delivered a Bunton 72 with a 33 liquid cooled Daihatsu 2 years ago, it was a monster too. I'm gonna ask about the parts lookup issue Tuesday when the shop reopens.

What did Bunton have with a 33hp Daihatsu? Is that an older one before Bunton became part of Textron/Jacobsen?

I dunno what the deal is with Generac. I was talking to another guy in my area...he services all kinds of backup generators. Some of them are the Generac ones and he has the same issues. He was gonna get me a CD from them but I told him I have a couple that have very little on them. He is like, yah, thats the one.

I never checked to see if they have anything available through partsmart or anything else, but we dont see enough of them to warrant paying 100+ a year for an easier way to lookup parts for them. And if there were something better available I would assume my distributor would have had it...Although with them, who knows.

Tharrell
09-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Bob-Cat and Bunton offered that water cooled model. It was a 72" and the engine had a hood on it.
There was also a diesel version of that engine.
I asked the owner and the mechanics at the shop and they said you can tear a Generac, Kawasaki and Kohler down and see the better machining in the Generac. The parts guys said they could look up parts no problem. Generac is owned by Briggs and they're coming out on everything now so I would assume Briggs would handle any parts issues anyone has.
By the way, I saw a Bob-Cat 72" with the aircooled 33 before the Predator yesterday. It was a beast of a mower. Sitting there on an equipment trailer, it actually reminded me of a Lion! You know, powerfull, king of the jungle, etc...

chickenman68
09-08-2006, 07:38 AM
i just bought a new Bunton BZT2330 61" cut with the 33 horse Generac on it last month...i use it on my farm to mow around my chicken houses and all my bermuda hay fields and my own yard which is around 5acres...and so far i absolutly love it..it has so much power it never even changes sound when i put it in tall grass..is smooth as a sewing machine and quiet...i asked around at alot of other dealer's..i.e bobcat's and small engine shops in my area and they are selling alot of them and haven't seen the first problem with them..i got such a good deal on it i couldnt turn it down..i bought it cheaper than they wanted for a bobcat with only a 25horse kawi on it..anyway i'd be glad to answer anymore question's you might have on it...oh and btw as far as not starting in rain i dont know about that..but i do wash mine down throughly after use it each time and it cranks as soon as you hit the key.

Green King
09-08-2006, 09:19 AM
There are a couple of large crews here that run Encore 72" with the generacs and love them. one of the guys I know uses them and has a l/c kawasaki and likes the generac better he says it is burning less fuel and gets done much faster. I run diesel but if I went back to gas I would probably go generac.

Envy Lawn Service
09-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh, I missed the fact you stayed with diesel when you bought Encore.
That's gotta be a BEAST!

You should snap some pictures sometime for us...

pugs
09-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Bob-Cat and Bunton offered that water cooled model. It was a 72" and the engine had a hood on it.
There was also a diesel version of that engine.
I asked the owner and the mechanics at the shop and they said you can tear a Generac, Kawasaki and Kohler down and see the better machining in the Generac. The parts guys said they could look up parts no problem. Generac is owned by Briggs and they're coming out on everything now so I would assume Briggs would handle any parts issues anyone has.
By the way, I saw a Bob-Cat 72" with the aircooled 33 before the Predator yesterday. It was a beast of a mower. Sitting there on an equipment trailer, it actually reminded me of a Lion! You know, powerfull, king of the jungle, etc...

Briggs bought the Generac small generator and pressure washer division. They do not make/own the engine and other divisions.

Well as soon as Generac gets me something that is useable for parts lookup I may change my tune. Until then I wont be selling anything with a Generac engine on it.

Yah, that old Bobcat ZT300 series...but those are pretty old.

J&R Landscaping
09-08-2006, 01:04 PM
My dealer who sells the bobcat mowers won't even stock the new models with the generac motors. He said that getting parts for them is a nightmare. I have heard them to be a decent engine but what are you gonna do if you need parts? Once they get parts avalibility a little better tuned, I will consider them a bit more.

pugs
09-08-2006, 01:55 PM
My dealer who sells the bobcat mowers won't even stock the new models with the generac motors. He said that getting parts for them is a nightmare. I have heard them to be a decent engine but what are you gonna do if you need parts? Once they get parts avalibility a little better tuned, I will consider them a bit more.

Thanks....at least I am not the only one. Now I know I am not crazy :)

Is I said earlier I have nothing against the engines themselves. They may be great...but all of them need parts some time or another. And in that respect they are about as easy to get parts for as Onan.

echoman8
07-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi,

I have never seen a great mechanic that is "Realfast". Kudos to you!!!

de