PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum trailers ?

nmez21
09-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Lately I've been considering getting a new trailer. The trailer I've got now is still safe for road use, but I don't know how much longer its going to stay that way. At a local dealer I looked at ~12' x 6.6' featherlite open aluminum trailer, which I was impressed with. It has a 3,500 lb rubber torsion axle, full aluminum tube frame, ~1' sides, tounge tool box, misc. extras, and a nice rear ramp. It got me thinking though, I don't see many around town or even on Lawnsite. I figured some of you guys might know a little bit about these and their use in our industry. Are there any major advantage to having one(aluminum)? disadvantages? Thanks a lot.

FearThisDeere
09-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Aluminum I believe is lighter and will hold up longer. Don't quote me on holding up longer. I think if you buy a Featherlite you are going to pay a lot more than needed for a trailer. They are great trailers, but you pay for them. I think most snowmobile trailers are aluminum, so they must do well in winter conditions.

Brianslawn
09-03-2006, 08:04 PM
just fix your trailer up. good chance to learn to weld. build a heavier ramp gate than what you can buy. new floor and tires if needed. add any extras you always wished you had (water cooler holder, trimmer racks, spare tire mount) youll be able to fix it up for under $400 probably. post pics of trailer you got now and whats wrong.

nmez21
09-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Sorry Brian, I forgot to add that it's also too small. I'd really like to upgrade from the old custom built 4.5'x 7' trailer. I want to be able to put a 21" on if not someday a 33"-36" as well. right now its a mighty tight fit with the JD727. My dad's got a MIG welder and a spot welder at his shop and my brother is willing to teach me to weld this winter, which I'm pretty excited about.

I'm not sure as to how good of a deal I'd be getting for the trailer though. The dealer wants $1700, which is between $200-$500 more than a standard angle iron trailer of the same size.

BSDeality
09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm considering an aluminum trailer for my next one (under 7K GVW). There is one guy around here that runs a 16' aluminum with 2 z's on it. Looks nice and light. Aluminum will hold up much better than steel in salt too

grassmanak
09-03-2006, 11:01 PM
aluminum is so freakin expensive i bought one last year, a 20ft and it was 4700.00, this was for an open trailer, not enclosed.

TURF DOCTOR
09-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I bought the same trailer 6.6 x 12 it has a 2200# pound axle you better check they sell new here for around 2200 hundred really cheap,i broke the axle out of it they fixed it.

lawnspecialties
09-03-2006, 11:09 PM
aluminum is so freakin expensive i bought one last year, a 20ft and it was 4700.00, this was for an open trailer, not enclosed.

Holy cow! My 20' steel trailer with two 5K axles and a cage was about half that!:dizzy:

TURF DOCTOR
09-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I sold it, i miss that trailer, i run two box trailers haulmarks i love enclosed to each his own for mowing nothing else works.