PDA

View Full Version : what to do with the plugs

v75vette
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Hello all,

Second year of working with a university taking care of the athletic fields. We recently de-thacted, overseeded, topdressed, and about to apply fert. We picked up all the thatch with a toro rake-vac. Worked really well and the feild is looking great.

My real question is about what you do with the plugs after they're pulled. The proglem with doing all the vacing and top dressing is I'm going to try and do this for a local high school where we don't have the budget to top dress the field. Could I just run a mat drag over the field after we've areated and bust the plugs up and have that act as a top dressing?

Just wondering if that would actually work at all. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

grandview (2006)
09-03-2006, 06:40 PM
What about using a spike aerator?

chaz
09-03-2006, 06:57 PM
just leave the plugs. They will disapear after a week or so

nobagger
09-03-2006, 07:01 PM
just leave the plugs. They will disapear after a week or so

We just leave them. If they are using the field regularly they should be gone in a couple of weeks.

v75vette
09-03-2006, 07:05 PM
So if they go away in a week, I can do it during the football season on an off week. Well do it one way to get it started and then after the season go all out on it with doing it in 3 or 4 directions.

nobagger
09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
So if they go away in a week, I can do it during the football season on an off week. Well do it one way to get it started and then after the season go all out on it with doing it in 3 or 4 directions.

If the "field" you are doing it on is the "one and only" field you have and its not just a practice field then you might want to find a vac. We did a soccer field once and it was in use and it took weeks for the majority of the "dog turds" to disappear.

Grassmechanic
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Chop them up with a power rake set slightly above the grade. Next, drag them with a section of chain link fence, then blow the remaining tufts of grass off the feild with a PTO driven blower. That's how I used to do it.

lawn king
09-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Drag rubber coated chainlink fencing over the feild, it will break up the plugs with no lawn damage at all.

v75vette
09-04-2006, 09:33 PM
After we top dressed a baseball field we used a mat drag and had two people doing that two different ways. It didn't damage the turf at all and actually fluffed the turf up and got the sand off the grass and onto the ground. Very little damage if you do it right. You just have to make sure the mat drag doesn't dig in. The field is a Div. 1 college baseball field that's KBG midnight. So we try to take pretty good care of it. The two other guys I work with that supervised this have a lot of experience. The working at the baseball field for 5 years and the other worked at the bengals field for many years.

I was just wondering if the mat would break up the plugs at all or if it would just drag them around?

Grassmechanic
09-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I was just wondering if the mat would break up the plugs at all or if it would just drag them around?
The mat will break them up, but the verti-cutter (power rake) really annihilates them.

A tip for those that want to just use a drag mat: water the plugs, let them dry, repeat. After a few wetting/drying cycles, they'll break up much nicer when dragged.