PDA

View Full Version : Some stuff we've done this year...

nobagger
09-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Here are some mowing, some landscaping....

Jpocket
09-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Everything looks nice....Looking at ppl.s ep henery work. Im tempted to start doing hardscaping. I really don't have an interest in it but it looks easy and it looks good when your done.

nobagger
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks, but its not as easy as digg'in a few holes and planting some stuff but I would rather do installs all day compared to mowing. If I could do 1 of these a mounth I would'nt need to mow.:laugh:

Jpocket
09-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks, but its not as easy as digg'in a few holes and planting some stuff but I would rather do installs all day compared to mowing. If I could do 1 of these a mounth I would'nt need to mow.:laugh:

Yea they tell me guys are making a ton of money doing hardscaping. The only thing that turns me off is that it's not recurring like maintenance, you must be constantly looking for work to keep a crew busy.

nobagger
09-03-2006, 07:42 PM
OH, A-MEN to that! Its very tough around here to even find good customer's that are'nt afraid to spend 5-10k. We are fortunate, we are hooked up with 1 company that keeps us very very busy, anything from lawn re-seeds to big installs. We are talking to another company that does "high end" lighting in upscale neighborhoods. he needs a professional landscaping company and I don't mind the referrals.lol

Grn Mtn
09-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Was that a planting you did last year? Did you do the hardscaping also? I like it when customers spend good money and you can put in something worth showing off.

EDIT: I see from your heading that you say its from this year, but everything looks so smooth and full, it looks like an established planting. PS like the pict with your truck in the background --hehe

nobagger
09-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Was that a planting you did last year? Did you do the hardscaping also? I like it when customers spend good money and you can put in something worth showing off.

EDIT: I see from your heading that you say its from this year, but everything looks so smooth and full, it looks like an established planting. PS like the pict with your truck in the background --hehe
Yes it's actually a mix. This customer has had us do 4 projects this year alone to these beds- We ripped out 6 nice sized Holly bushes and put in 6 Purple Sand Cherries and some Ornamential Grasses. We created a new bed on the other side and installed, a Weeping Hemlock, some other stuff like rocks etc. and he planted a ton of annuals and it looks great. I'll have to snap a pic next Fri. when we mow him next.

cgland
09-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I really don't have an interest in it but it looks easy and it looks good when your done.

Yeah! Hardscaping is easy! Easy if you do it incorrectly! Stick to mowing grass buddy. You'll be better off!

Chris

sheshovel
09-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Looks good. Keep up the good work!

Dirty Water
09-03-2006, 09:42 PM
I hate to be a ballbuster, but those beds are well established. The majority of that landscape was done by someone else. You should have given credit in the beginning.

That juniper alone is 5+ years old.

YardPro
09-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Yea they tell me guys are making a ton of money doing hardscaping. The only thing that turns me off is that it's not recurring like maintenance, you must be constantly looking for work to keep a crew busy.

LOL,
the % profit is all about the same....
just a lot more materials cost...

example:

do a small plant bed..... $1,500.00 make $300.00 (NET PROFIT)
ho a "small" paver patio....$15,000.00 Make $3,000.00

making $3k sounds better???
still 20%, but with A LOT MORE SWEAT, and aching joints..

tthomass
09-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I hate to be a ballbuster, but those beds are well established. The majority of that landscape was done by someone else. You should have given credit in the beginning.

That juniper alone is 5+ years old.

perhaps but if its a year old the Rudbeckia can be as full as it is there........the juniper could have been bought that size, nobody likes waiting 5yrs to see what they paid for........

so, is this your install or not???

Jpocket
09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
LOL,
the % profit is all about the same....
just a lot more materials cost...

example:

do a small plant bed..... $1,500.00 make $300.00 (NET PROFIT)
ho a "small" paver patio....$15,000.00 Make $3,000.00

making $3k sounds better???
still 20%, but with A LOT MORE SWEAT, and aching joints..

SO the margins aren't any higher than mowing. Thats what guys always tell me. I guess it's just less competitive.

zim bob the landscaper
09-04-2006, 09:42 PM
perhaps but if its a year old the Rudbeckia can be as full as it is there........the juniper could have been bought that size, nobody likes waiting 5yrs to see what they paid for........

so, is this your install or not???
very true when we did a install we had a maple 4+ years old brought in. and we did it last year.