PDA

View Full Version : how to change shocks?

mcwlandscaping
09-03-2006, 11:49 PM
just got new shocks for my truck today...how do i install them the easiest way possible? thanks

fulano
09-03-2006, 11:57 PM
If they are just shocks get under the truck and unbolt the old ones and bolt in the new. If they are struts you'll need a strut compactor which you can get on loan from autozone or other autoparts stores. Raise the vehicle and support with jack stands. Then unbolt top of strut usually 3-4 bolts not the center one. Also the bottom bolt in the lower control arm. Then take apart strut and reinstall.

mcwlandscaping
09-04-2006, 12:07 AM
ok, cool, these shocks are goin to be easy, i got monroe magnum heavy duty shocks, the old ones are bad, i can pull them apart with my hand for the most part!! this is tomarrows project!

BSDeality
09-04-2006, 12:19 AM
best best is to leave the straps on them if you haven't cut them off yet. cut them after you get one end installed and then use some muscle to squish it down to the right length to install the other end.

mcwlandscaping
09-04-2006, 12:27 AM
i was so tempted to cut them off!!!haha, but, i figured they might shoot a hole in my wall so i refrained myself from doing that

Brendan Smith
09-04-2006, 05:58 AM
If they are just shocks get under the truck and unbolt the old ones and bolt in the new. If they are struts you'll need a strut compactor which you can get on loan from autozone or other autoparts stores. Raise the vehicle and support with jack stands. Then unbolt top of strut usually 3-4 bolts not the center one. Also the bottom bolt in the lower control arm. Then take apart strut and reinstall.
a strut compressor can literally take your head off if you let it slip. best to take off the whole assembly and go to a tire shop. for 10-15 bucks apiece, they'll swap the springs over for you. by saying they are banded, i know you have shocks, but keep this in mind if you ever do a strut.

mike lane lawn care
09-04-2006, 01:50 PM
shcoks for the rear are very esy, i think the front of your truck uses struts? I am replacing my monroe air-shocks with another set of air-shocks, i was told by a mechanic friend of mmine that it would take me less than an hour to replace both rear shocks. But if you are going to replace the front struts then you should take it to a garage.

oh and while you are replacing the shocks, inspect the leaf springs for any damage, as they are the real suspension, the shocks are just helpers.

fulano
09-04-2006, 01:54 PM
I have changed struts on my '91 mustang, '04 ford f150, '01 ford lightning, '95 toyota tacoma, and '91 toyota tercel all within the last couple of years and have never had any problems. Hundreds of thousands of people change struts every year and don't take their heads off. That is like saying shooting guns can kill you. Sure they can if you use them incorrectly.

South Florida Lawns
09-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I have changed struts on my '91 mustang, '04 ford f150, '01 ford lightning, '95 toyota tacoma, and '91 toyota tercel all within the last couple of years and have never had any problems. Hundreds of thousands of people change struts every year and don't take their heads off. That is like saying shooting guns can kill you. Sure they can if you use them incorrectly.

well I would'nt doubt Brendan Smith, He knows his sh!t when it comes to cars and trucks, especially Chevrolet's.