PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Coolers

grassmanak
09-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Anybody have a recomendation for one?? Id like to get one since im going to be plowing this winter, and sometimes itsover 100 degrees here in the summer. Not really sure about them, Any Input

tthomass
09-04-2006, 01:32 PM
www.gm-trucks.com is a better place to ask........is your tranny runn'n hot now? How's the fluid? You have to be pretty mean on them to get them hot. I've got an '02

FATWEASEL
09-04-2006, 01:38 PM
B&M SuperCoolers are a well known and respected brand. Go to Summitracing.com, type in Supercooler in the "SEARCH" bar. The BMM-70264 should be MORE than enough for your needs.

You might also be able to pick it up at your local chain auto parts store.

This has the full kit that should include all the hose and connectors that you need. Just make sure you mount it where air flows across the fins for the best results. Install is pretty easy.:)

Andy

FATWEASEL
09-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Or try these sites for lots of good info.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ Hit the transmission forums....they'll tell you the same thing I did or you can link from there to here...

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/ :drinkup:

mike lane lawn care
09-04-2006, 05:06 PM
from what i know about coolers, there are two types, the regular kind that looks like a radiator, that you put in front of your actual radiator. this can be installed in an afternoon, and are pretty cheap.

another kind is one with an electric fan attached to it, so it can be mounted anywhere, thsi is the type i'll put on my van, as there is very little work room. but in a truck the basic kind will work fine. go to an advance auto parts store and they will set you up.

Scag48
09-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't think you'll need a tranny cooler for plowing, you gotta remember that even though you're working the tranny hard it's at least 40-50 degrees cooler (on average) outside. As for summer towing, if you aren't having problems at this point, you're probably alright. Not to say it would be a bad idea to go get a cooler, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

lawnmaniac883
09-04-2006, 06:01 PM
You mean to tell me your truck doesnt already have a cooler from the factory? I bet it prolly does...

grassmanak
09-04-2006, 08:45 PM
i just looked and i think it does, im not sure, would one of the glove box codes be able to tell me if it does??

lawnmaniac883
09-05-2006, 03:04 PM
i just looked and i think it does, im not sure, would one of the glove box codes be able to tell me if it does??

Nope, glove box wont tell you. Go look at the radiator and you should see several smaller coolers along with the large radiator. One is for AC the other will be tranny. Find both and trace the hoses to find where they go. Most new trucks are factory equipped with coolers.

xcopterdoc
09-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Your truck should have a tranny cooler, engine oil cooler and power steering cooler already installed. If anything. I'd spring for a tranny temp gauge installation. Then you can see what you need.