PDA

View Full Version : We keep breaking pull cords. What is a good, strong cord for replacement?

tcls83
09-04-2006, 02:42 PM
It seems like once every two-three weeks there is a snapped pull cord on something. Going to the hardware store for a replacement cord is a pain. And, yes, we try to be gentle when starting equipment, or at least I do, but there is always a broken cord somewhere.

What is a very durable rope material that can be exposed to the elements well that you guys would replace the stock pull cord with? Sometimes the trimmers, blowers, and walk behind do get exposed to the elements, and that could be a problem with the standard pull cords.

ed2hess
09-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I got some rolls of Echo Replacement starter rope and that solved my problem. Don't remember the cost but wasn't cheap. I got several different sizes to match size of rope on each piece of equipment.

JJLandscapes
09-04-2006, 04:28 PM
the generic ones from the hardware stores are garbage.... try getting one from the manufacturer and it should last longer.

a few break every year dont know how u do it every 3 weeks

most the time i reuse the old broken piece depending on where the rip was and if there is enough length i will just slice it clean and re string it

Brendan Smith
09-04-2006, 05:02 PM
i use some military 297 rope left over from when my family's factory closed. i have thousands of feet of the stuff and use it for everything from bean trellises to pull cords, even pulled an engine out of a willy's jeep with it doubled over like 30 times and hooked to a come-a-long once.

pugs
09-04-2006, 08:33 PM
First what is it you are buying at the hardware store? Is it supposed to be used for pull cords? Or is it just some misc rope?

Maybe get a roll of rope from Oregon/Stens. They usually have 2 quality levels...go with the better one.

Also, check the recoils...is the rope guide warn/damaged/sharp? If it is then you are gonna break the ropes alot faster since it is rubbing on a rough surface instead of a smooth one.

scaper27
09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
most likely the recoil where the string comes out is too sharp from pulling the string over and over again. Replace the recoil top, thats what i did, it was sharp as anything and would a couple of weeks at best

ThirdDay
09-04-2006, 09:50 PM
We use the Echo rope as well and it ended all of our broken rope issues..it's really good, strong stuff!

JKOOPERS
09-05-2006, 12:50 AM
the rope i use is what they set main lines we they are paving (concrete) highways or streets . This stuff is so strong and tiny that i use it on my mowers and all hand held equipment . If anyone wants some only a $1.00 a ft. :laugh:

Grassmechanic
09-05-2006, 03:41 PM
J. Thomas sells spools of recoil rope. Works great.

thesargent
09-05-2006, 04:32 PM
it sounds like it my be rubbing on something sharp as your pulling it and causing premature wear. or your guys think that they have to pull the living snot out of it to get it started. when i was forman of a tree crew i had one worker that would pull so stinkin hard on the starter rope when he would start his saw, he broke way more starter ropes than anyone. i would always tell him to take it easy, just pull hard enough to start it.

AAELI
09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
First what is it you are buying at the hardware store? Is it supposed to be used for pull cords? Or is it just some misc rope?

Maybe get a roll of rope from Oregon/Stens. They usually have 2 quality levels...go with the better one.

Also, check the recoils...is the rope guide warn/damaged/sharp? If it is then you are gonna break the ropes alot faster since it is rubbing on a rough surface instead of a smooth one.

Pugs gave good advice.

They break due to abrasion from rope guides and poor quality. Get the best rope and double check your rope guides. Coat them with paraffin wax or paint with nail polish after removing burrs and rough surface.

befnme
09-05-2006, 05:21 PM
i bought a bag of misc. rope from lowes , the same stuff my pa has used for years and i still have 90 % of that bag left .it never breaks. cost like $8.00 for 50 feet .

Runner
09-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Two main causes of rope breaking. I've ad to jump on guys before about it. Some guys are just prone to do it improperly. No. 1 cause is pulling gthe ope out too far - to the end. I see people doing this all the time. They pull it out until it snaps at the end of the spool.
No. 2 cause is letting it go and snap back after it is started. I see this all the time, too. There IS a 3rd thing that contributes to it, but it is not as bad. That is yanking the cord out before the slack is up and the gear hooks into the the flywheel.