PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

tthomass
09-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I have seen where many charge per sq foot.......I do more by the job and whats involved but I've got a question.

Use flagstone set in mortar..........$25 per sq ft seems to be what a lot are charging. What is it that is included?

If its 100 sq ft is the total price of the job $2500 including all material (#57, concrete, mortar, stone, labor, gas, framing etc)?

Or do you tend to price it at $2500 + "x"?

I'm trying to get a square footage system going.

landscapingpoolguy
09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I can give estimates based on square foot price. but i always submit a proposal based on time and materials.

tthomass
09-04-2006, 08:13 PM
i'm just trying to come up with a more consistant way to bid my jobs

landscapingpoolguy
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Sq ft pricing is good for weeding out those who are shopping.I can not have the same costs as a company doing 3 mil a year so therfore I cannot have the same pricing methods

tthomass
09-04-2006, 10:23 PM
After punching #'s..............$25sq ft is cheap and not to be bragging but for the quality product I deliver I cannot see going under $30sq ft and that is for a sqaure flat easy access patio.

What I am trying to accomplish and coming to by crunching more and more #'s is to get an idea of a square footage price for different jobs and then on top of that take into account special material, access, difficulty etc.

forestfireguy
09-05-2006, 08:11 PM
I have not done estimates since I was in business for myself years ago, but don't all the "industry genius" types push labor hours when estimating? Then add materials, machine time etc......

Squizzy246B
09-06-2006, 07:18 AM
I use a spreadsheet, sort of like a checklist in the field, then punch it in at home to do the quote. Its time and materials; and thats the only way to go.

One thing I do when quoting walls is give them the price for the actual wall and put an inside and outside figures on the earthworks/prep work.

If you build your spreadsheet up from all things you missed and screwed up on previous jobs it becomes a very powerful quoting tool.