PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try putting a small flyer in bags

Jpocket
09-04-2006, 08:15 PM
With nice little decorative stone, and throwing them on driveways. Im thinking about designing a nice color flyer alittle bigger than a biz card, then puting them in a nice bag with 2 or 3 real nice stones.

We currently do postcards and the yellow pages. Im just looking for a way to cover more ground and hit more homes next spring. We stopped doing doorhangers this year b/c they just weren't productive enough, and you can't put them in Mail boxes.

Personally I think if they are done "tastfully" people won't be anoyed by them.
What do you guys thinK? DFW Landscaper I think this would be a good idea for you. Have a guy drive a truck, and another on the back with about 800 bags throwing them onto driveways.

MMLawn
09-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I see it around here ALL THE TIME.....and normally they just lay in the driveway for weeks until they fade out and the homeowner finally throws it away. I have even seen folks never see them and run over them day after day leaving their driveway.... :laugh:

WildWest
09-04-2006, 08:40 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but I have found several on my front driveway. I don't know if it's a good thing.... I didn't really mind that these were there, but it didn't seem professional. (I guess they didn't see the vinyl lettering on the back window of my truck either)

Hey, I looked at the cards, but that because they were in the same business as me, I don't know what joe homeowner would think.

MMLawn
09-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I also feel that the potential customer would think, "crap if they are too lazy to hang it on my door what kinda crappy job will they do on my lawn?"

Jpocket
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I dunno maybe a larger bag with a 4X6 postcard in it. I honestly think it will work if done right, maybe even a green bag with our name on it.

It's not really a big thing around here, but I have seen a larger comapany do it to advertise Hardscaping. I just love the idea that we would be able to get so many advertisements, and cover so many different developements in a day. Much cheaper than Postcards. Not to mention that flyers and doorhangers blow away, etc. I would say that only about 60% of them are actually seen by the homeowner.

ChadsLawn
09-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I did all mine that way. I went out and bought 1 gallon bags. Rolled my flyer so my name was showing, then put small rubber band around it. Then put (river rock cleaned and dried) depending on the size of the rock 1-3 per bag. Then pushed the air out and tied them. Much easier and faster than waling to each home. Ove gotten 8 accounts from 1500 since June.

LB1234
09-05-2006, 05:44 PM
I called the number on the flyer and had him come back and pick it up off the front of my lawn. Explained if he didn't I would visit the township police department and charge him with littering.

It was picked up.

One: I think its just plain lazzy. Two: I think its just plain cheap---pay for postage. Three: Its littering---want me throwing stuff all over your driveway. Four: I'm sick of picking it off my customers lawns. Five: Its not professional.

Oh ya, did I mention I don't like it.

ChadsLawn
09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I called the number on the flyer and had him come back and pick it up off the front of my lawn. Explained if he didn't I would visit the township police department and charge him with littering.

It was picked up.

One: I think its just plain lazzy. Two: I think its just plain cheap---pay for postage. Three: Its littering---want me throwing stuff all over your driveway. Four: I'm sick of picking it off my customers lawns. Five: Its not professional.

Oh ya, did I mention I don't like it.

You sound like a "grumpy" Old Man who has nothing better to do in life except "*****" about everything.

1. It not lazy. It takes alot of time preparing flyers the way i do it.
2. It is cheap compared to buying 1000's of stamos on top of the price of flyers or cards.
3. Its not littering, It ADVERTISING!!!!!

Not everyone is rich like you. We all cant afford to go and buy 1000's of stamps to waste on mail that a good portion will just get tossed. Id much rather pick up a flyer in my drive, then have someone knock on my door trying to sell me something.

Ahh no wander why, your from Jersey.. I forgive you :)

Jpocket
09-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Yea i mean we normally send out about 1500 postcards in the spring, and the usual yp Ad, I just figured it would be a way of "reinforcing " the other efforts.

fulano
09-05-2006, 08:59 PM
You sound like a "grumpy" Old Man who has nothing better to do in life except "*****" about everything.

2. It is cheap compared to buying 1000's of stamos on top of the price of flyers or cards.

IMO, it is the cheap lazy way to get residents pissed off at you for littering up their yard.
I've had to call the local newspaper to come collect the newspapers they threw on my driveway when they were never ordered.:nono:

LB1234
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM

Throwing something (rocks, paper, & plastic bag) onto someone elses private property is littering. You can't argue that.

Runner
09-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I agree......bottom line - it's tacky.

Uranus
09-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Depends on the nieborhoods your in. If it was at my house I would think it was a piece of trash that someone threw out thier window while driving by. It may work if your in development where the homeowner would see them up and down the street. This year I bought the street listing from the town hall and tageted nieborhoods with postcards. It worked out pretty well. Its scary how much info you can get from those books. Sometimes I would look up the people who called from my newspaper add and see what kind of job they had and what age they were before I even showed up. Gave me an edge an pricing. Me personaly would not throw my ad on someones driveway. Sorry just my 2-cents

RonB
09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
gotten 8 accounts from 1500 since June.

Around here I have never seen this type of thing. If my wife found a bag with paper in it in our yard she'd be pissed - and you'd know about it. Not only would she call and ***** ya out she would never use the service of that company.

Regardless of my example (wife), don't you wonder if you might have alienated at least some of the other 1492 you didn't hear from and never to have a chance at getting them as a customer in the future?

lawnman_scott
09-06-2006, 10:16 PM

It was picked up.

Oh ya, did I mention I don't like it.I dont do flyers anymore, but when i did thats the way I did them. I had a few each year like you. Here is some advice. You will never get a cop to charge someone with littering, have to catch them in the act. The worst I had was a cop call me and say I could not do that in that area. Another time I got the neighbor kid to help and someone called the cops, got stopped and asked for ID. He was so fat he asked the neighbor kid for id and couldnt bend enough to look in the car and see it was a 10y/o kid. Another one wouldnt stop calling me to pick it up and i told him not to f..ing call again or I would call the cops on HIM. So dont waste your time, throw it out and let someone be a productive person. Do you complain about people who sit all day and collect welfare? Enough said.

lawnman_scott
09-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Around here I have never seen this type of thing. If my wife found a bag with paper in it in our yard she'd be pissed - and you'd know about it. Not only would she call and ***** ya out she would never use the service of that company.

Regardless of my example (wife), don't you wonder if you might have alienated at least some of the other 1492 you didn't hear from and never to have a chance at getting them as a customer in the future?I bet its less than 8. Honestly who would want anyone like that for a customer anyway. There is a benefit I didnt think of, weeds out the well the ...............s.

RonB
09-06-2006, 11:29 PM
I'd take that bet.

If you really want customers charge less than they are paying now. Put that in your bag of rocks. That's what those other 1492 are looking for.

lawnman_scott
09-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I'd take that bet.

If you really want customers charge less than they are paying now. Put that in your bag of rocks. That's what those other 1492 are looking for.So then wouldnt it be a good thing to alienate them?

newz7151
09-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Maybe you could have little flying disks printed up with your business name, phone number, and a short slogan and then go around and toss those out at people's houses. That way, you aren't throwing out trash, you're throwing out little toys.

Randy Scott
09-08-2006, 10:36 AM
There are plenty of other ways to advertise in a cost effective fashion. Sit down and really figure out exactly what the post card costs, the printing of it (whether at home or a print store), the time filling the bags, the rocks, the time delivering the bags, any fuel used to go get the cards and supplies along with driving or dropping someone off in a neighborhood to deliver the bags. I GUARANTEE it's not at all cost effective.

We just ran an ad in the local small papers delivered to each home. It was the lower third of the front page. That's pretty decent exposure and placement. The add was color, had our logo and such, and it ran me $450 for 31,000 papers. That comes out to a penny and a half per home. As far as people seeing the add, I would think the odds are as good or better than something thrown on a driveway.
I could also have 8x11 fliers stuffed into those papers instead of an add, the flier would certainly get noticed since they fall out on your kitchen table when you open the paper, and those would only cost 6 cents each (printed, stuffed, delivered).

We haven't hand delivered anything in two years. That's because all the farting around doing it truly is anything but cost effective. You just try to overlook it to justify it in your mind. I guess if you don't put a value on your time, then go ahead, do it. It's just that there are so many ways to cover more ground for less money. Doing things in high numbers, 10K, 20K, 30K, etc.. is where it really pays off. And since advertising is primarily a numbers game, odds increase that way.
Direct mailing is cheaper than driving around and hand delivering fliers as well. It's just that with direct mailing, you need to plan on spending higher dollar amounts since most places will only want big number customer mailings. The next issue with that is you need to be able to handle the phone calls, estimates, and employees needed to do the work, and do it properly.

I guess if throwing bags with rocks in it on driveways works for you, fine, do it. It just doesn't fit into our company image, goals, or client list.

nlminc
09-10-2006, 08:01 PM
I picked one up off my driveway yesterday. I remember the rock, it was pretty nice. I forgot what the service was! I find them all the time in this area. It's common for companies to litter your mail box and throw ads in your yard.

lawnman_scott
09-10-2006, 08:10 PM
I picked one up off my driveway yesterday. I remember the rock, it was pretty nice. I forgot what the service was! I find them all the time in this area. It's common for companies to litter your mail box and throw ads in your yard.But you obviously did read it.

Perfect Lawn
09-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I did all mine that way. I went out and bought 1 gallon bags. Rolled my flyer so my name was showing, then put small rubber band around it. Then put (river rock cleaned and dried) depending on the size of the rock 1-3 per bag. Then pushed the air out and tied them. Much easier and faster than waling to each home. Ove gotten 8 accounts from 1500 since June.
Where did you get the bags from?

J&R Landscaping
09-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Its done in my area a lot. Mainly paving contractors and real estate agents are the people distributing them. I feel signs on customer lawns work great at least around here. I see a tree company at a house in the area, the compnay leaves a sign and then 2 weeks down the road, five neighboors of the original house have signs in their yards as well.

Josh.S
09-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Yea i mean we normally send out about 1500 postcards in the spring, and the usual yp Ad, I just figured it would be a way of "reinforcing " the other efforts.

How many accounts do you get with the postcards, on average? and how many calls do you normally get out of the yellowpages

Perfect Lawn
09-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Where did you get the bags from?
where do you get those bags to put the flyers +rocks in?

Jpocket
09-14-2006, 04:08 PM
How many accounts do you get with the postcards, on average? and how many calls do you normally get out of the yellowpages

I get about a 3% of the calls from post cards. So if I want 60 new accounts I'lll send out 1600 postcards. ANd the yellow pages is hit or miss, every once in a while "A good one" will come through, mostly in the spring though.

ALarsh
09-14-2006, 10:25 PM
3%? Please post your post card design!

stroker51
09-14-2006, 11:21 PM
I had never even thought about just throwing out a flyer in a bag until a competitor here did it on a lawn that I was mowing at the time, and then later in the day did it again. I was a little pissed to say the least. Do it professional, mail em, yellow pages, or doorhangers, and if you are going to throw any kind of ad out on a property, don't do it while the LCO is there, that is just disrespectful.

Jpocket
09-15-2006, 11:51 AM
3%? Please post your post card design!

I don't know how:rolleyes: The design is really simple 2-color JUMBO postcard with text only. I will tell you that most guys in my area have a very high response rate compared to what some ppl. are posting on here. 1% is usually what you can get if you send them out in july.

ALarsh
09-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I don't know how:rolleyes: The design is really simple 2-color JUMBO postcard with text only. I will tell you that most guys in my area have a very high response rate compared to what some ppl. are posting on here. 1% is usually what you can get if you send them out in july.
Man, if I had a 3% response rate I would have a lot more than 3 lazers.

Put out 10,000 door hangers in spring and pick up 300 new accounts.

A1Lawns
12-08-2009, 01:59 AM
you sound like a "grumpy" old man who has nothing better to do in life except "*****" about everything.

3. Its not littering, it advertising!!!!!

Not everyone is rich like you. We all cant afford to go and buy 1000's of stamps to waste on mail that a good portion will just get tossed. Id much rather pick up a flyer in my drive, then have someone knock on my door trying to sell me something.

Ahh no wander why, your from jersey.. I forgive you :)

lololol.

Amen!!! Great post!!!!!

nlminc
12-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I can understand why all the people from the NE say is a bad idea. You never see it up there....at least in the 30 something years I lived in MA.

Down here in GA it's VERY common to find business cards, flyers on your mailbox or in bags throw in the driveway. It's accepted here from what I can tell. Even the post office ignores the mailbox rules. I even find things placed in my mailbox.

As far as looking "cheap"?? Most people looking for lawn service these days or in fact the past 20 years I've been in business are looking for cheap! I may add there's very little loyalty also.

A1Lawns
02-15-2010, 01:11 AM

Regardless of my example (wife), don't you wonder if you might have alienated at least some of the other 1492 you didn't hear from and never to have a chance at getting them as a customer in the future?

lol. Simply put....sounds like a *****. Would'nt want ya as a customer anyways. This way actually weeds out the tight asses like yourselves. ;O)

projames12
02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Down here in GA it's VERY common to find business cards, flyers on your mailbox or in bags throw in the driveway. It's accepted here from what I can tell. Even the post office ignores the mailbox rules. I even find things placed in my mailbox.

Is there something else that can be given that would have more affect than a card?

What about a cool magnet? You could just put it in or on people's mailboxes and then there is at least a chance they could throw it on their fridge.