PDA

View Full Version : Scary ramps

laxative
09-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I have a 12' stake bed and need a cheap temporary way to load a couple WB's, generators, etc. in it in a pinch, without a trailer. Ramps would need to be at least 12' long for a reasonable angle up. Don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. Don't want to slip and break my legs or equipment. Would like to maneuver ramp(s) around alone without breaking my back. Any ideas? All my ideas suck.

grassmanak
09-04-2006, 11:17 PM
id build something out of wood then, if you have the space for it.,

Mike33
09-04-2006, 11:24 PM
When i first started my company i started with a new bobcat 753 and a 79 gmc 1 ton wooden deck. keep in mind i started basicly with nothing and with out a clue. I rebuilt the truck because i was auto body by trade and figured i could just haul this bobcat on the deck of truck. I got a pair of ramps from local rental where i purchased bobcat from and they might of even been endorsed by them. I hauled this machine around about 5 times and realized what a idiot i was for doing this , all of this weight sitting behind me. Not to say if dot would have caught me what would of happened. It was pretty damn scarry backing this bobcat up these ramps on to the truck bed. I sold them back and went in to debt for a trailer. Dont do a stupid trick like i did.
Mike

Birdhunter1
09-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Would aluminum 4-wheeler ramps work?
I don't know what the max weght they are rated for but I know they are rated for more than what my Honda Rancher 350 4wd weighs. If you do get them try to find a pair with an arch in them as they seem less scary when loading and unloading on them.

laxative
09-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Do 4-wheeler ramps come 10-12' long? Started to make some wooden ones but the bow in 'em when I stood in the middle freaked me out and they were getting heavy quick.

laxative
09-05-2006, 01:21 AM
When i first started my company i started with a new bobcat 753 and a 79 gmc 1 ton wooden deck. keep in mind i started basicly with nothing and with out a clue. I rebuilt the truck because i was auto body by trade and figured i could just haul this bobcat on the deck of truck. I got a pair of ramps from local rental where i purchased bobcat from and they might of even been endorsed by them. I hauled this machine around about 5 times and realized what a idiot i was for doing this , all of this weight sitting behind me. Not to say if dot would have caught me what would of happened. It was pretty damn scarry backing this bobcat up these ramps on to the truck bed. I sold them back and went in to debt for a trailer. Dont do a stupid trick like i did.
Mike

It's only for back-up, so I can send somebody out with my truck and trailer when I get behind. I can go the other direction with the bigger truck and a couple mowers. Just a 48" and a 36" WB.

Mike33
09-05-2006, 09:05 AM
It's only for back-up, so I can send somebody out with my truck and trailer when I get behind. I can go the other direction with the bigger truck and a couple mowers. Just a 48" and a 36" WB.
Sorry i didnt read the thread close i just wanted to share what i did in the early young and domb stage.
Mike

crawdad
09-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Wooden ramps should be 2 boards wide, with angled braces from board to board. Put something on them so they won't be slick. They will be heavy. I used 10 footers for a while, before I got my aluminum ramps.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
09-05-2006, 10:17 AM
I would go and buy a small trailer just big enough for your walk behind versus ramps, 1 slip and fall and you will wish you had a different set up, should be able to buy a nice new small trailer for under a $1,000 versus spending maybe $200-$300 on ramps. Choice is yours I would go with a trailer though not 10'-12' foot ramps.

lawnboy dan
09-05-2006, 02:41 PM
you wont find ramps that long - 12 is too long for ramps you cannot load safely with this setup. get a trailer!

Scag48
09-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Now I know you're talking temporary, but if you ever wanted to get a flatbed truck to haul mowers and needed a good way to load them I'd suggest getting a lift gate. Our F450 has a Tommy Gate lift that has a 1,200 pound capacity, more than enough for a W/B. Now the standard gate probably isn't long enough (front to back) to get a W/B on there, but you could probably custom fab a folding extension that would allow you to at least get the front casters sitting on the extension, that would be perfect.

laxative
09-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Now I know you're talking temporary, but if you ever wanted to get a flatbed truck to haul mowers and needed a good way to load them I'd suggest getting a lift gate. Our F450 has a Tommy Gate lift that has a 1,200 pound capacity, more than enough for a W/B. Now the standard gate probably isn't long enough (front to back) to get a W/B on there, but you could probably custom fab a folding extension that would allow you to at least get the front casters sitting on the extension, that would be perfect.

That'd be great, but expensive. It's an F450 as well. I'm just cheap, and don't want another trailer sitting around my house. Stupid truck doesn't even have a hitch on it. I'm sick of screwing around. Tomorrow it's getting a hitch and I'm shopping for a lift gate. Thanks.