PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Decision - Stihl KM 55 or KM 110?

Fender Bender
09-05-2006, 12:30 AM
I am just a lowly home owner who needs to replace an underpowered "John Deere" split shaft trimmer. I put JD in quotes as I found out it was just a Homelite in disguise. Anyway, its days are done and I want to get a good replacement.

I want to be able to edge with the straight edger and have enough power to run it through clay soil and be able to use the cultivator attachment. I was wondering if anyone could give me some input on whether I will have enough power to run those items on the KM 55 or whether I should opt for more power with the KM 110. I also like the idea of the new low emission engine on the KM 110.

I am also considering an FS 110 R and just changing out the power heads. This will be a happy median with the cost factor ($60 less than the KM 110), but will require a few extra minutes of time when changing out the head. Anyone who is doing this today, please comment on whether you regret not getting the Kombi System instead.

Anyway, thanks in advance and I'd like to purchase this week if I can make up my mind!

Grassmechanic
09-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Hands down ,the KM110. You won't be dissapointed in it's power! The 55 is underpowered for the tiller and edger.

snowin
09-05-2006, 03:49 PM
no brainer the 110 is much much better.i have run both the 110 is smoother and has more power

noseha
09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
always buy bigger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grn Mtn
09-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I have been using the 110 now for almost 2 years now, I have the Trimmer head, Angled hedge shear, Tiller and Edger so far. Obviously dedicated units are better, but I got tired of maintaining multiple engines so I switched to the kombi. I would say you want to go for the km110, reason being when using the edger it can slow down when doing the first pass thru some dense dirt. It is a little on the heavy side, and can have the typical trick start sequence, but all my Stihl eq has been very reliable and have had plenty of power so I'm not switching.

Fender Bender
09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
So let it be written, so let it be done...bought the FS 110 R this evening. I decided I would save the $60 that it would cost extra to go Kombi and just do the head replacement with the attachments I need.

I plan on getting the straight edger and the tiller.

Thanks for the moral support. I think I knew all along some version of the 110was in my future. I just needed a little encouragement.
The best part about it is I had a 10% off coupon on Stihl Power equipment!

6'7 330
09-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Good Luck,

You won't be disappointed with the 110. The 4-mix engine has that down deep grunt power. Used for homeowner service,if properly maintained ,you'll get many years out you're new Sthil.

Fender Bender
09-09-2006, 07:27 AM
I used it for the first time yesterday in some heavy thick grass and it was nice having that power to rip through the weeds. Everything said about it is true...low noise and idle, takes a sec to kick in, but smooth running after that.

I am trying to vary the running speed to allow for proper break in, but it is tough not to have it wide open the entire time.

Thanks for all of the comments.