PDA

View Full Version : How much per hour would you charge?

David W
09-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Like everyone else here, I mow grass. My question is to everyone, how much do you charge per hour to run your zt's? I'm not talking about mowing a job that takes 25-30 minutes and making $60...but how much would you charge to mow hourly?

Funny question I know, but I have a job where I use my personal mower Great Dane Chariot 61" cut and get paid by the hour from my primary employer. What would be a fair price for billing per hour factoring in the wear and tear on the machine?

What would be more than a fair price?

Thanks fellas.

tomo
09-05-2006, 11:09 AM
hello, 40-- 60 normal easy cutting .Bush hogging upto around 80 .TOMO

OMG
09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
If you're mowing during your normal work hours, just add your regular pay rate plus the hourly rate for use of your mower.....fuel, depreciation, insurance, etc.....which is routinely $8-$12.

If you're mowing on your own time, get your normal regular rate.

David W
09-05-2006, 12:25 PM
I do a lot of half and half. I mow during working hours than after hours on my own time.

I get two different wages depending on normal hours and after hours. So bacically, either one just add $8-$12 to it?

Thanks for the feedback

OMG
09-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I do a lot of half and half. I mow during working hours than after hours on my own time.

I get two different wages depending on normal hours and after hours. So bacically, either one just add $8-$12 to it?

Thanks for the feedback

I may be confused on what you're asking, so I'll give a couple examples.

If you mow during your regular work hours and they pay you $10 per hour normally, charge $10 + all your costs listed above.

If you mow on your own time, charge your normal rate.....$35, $45, $60 or whatever.

I hope this makes sense.

David W
09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
OK gotcha.

It is a awkward circumstance as I am a 40 hour/week salary paid employee, but also a member of the grounds crew to maintain our 75 acres. Sometimes I go out during the day of which I am being paid my salary wage and then I continue working after hours of which the wage drops down to the grounds care wage.

See what I'm saying?

I guess I will have to find a medium as my inside pay is way more than my outside pay.

Thanks for response OMG.

Rhett
09-05-2006, 07:53 PM
8 to 12 is not enough. You are letting someone wear out your equipment to break even. Heck no. Take your normal mowing rate, minus half your wage at your job and charge that. YOu have to haul it to the site and pay fuel and the whole shooting match. Think I would just give a qoute after work and see how that pans out

sildoc
09-05-2006, 09:01 PM
8 to 12 is not enough. You are letting someone wear out your equipment to break even. Heck no. Take your normal mowing rate, minus half your wage at your job and charge that. YOu have to haul it to the site and pay fuel and the whole shooting match. Think I would just give a qoute after work and see how that pans out
Exactly.
You not only have depreciation on your mower but insurnace for truck and trailer, fuel for truck, Insurance for truck and trailer, Liability insurance, Depreciation for truck and trailer and that is just a minor part of doing the business.
For example it costs me almost 22 per hour total costs. That is for roughly 40 hour work week. If it were a 10 hour work week those costs would be 88 per hour. Now this also includes over head for other business costs other than equiptment. I.e. advertising, office stuff, maintenace of other equip. and rainy day adj of .50 per hour of work.

David W
09-05-2006, 09:35 PM
I see...good info.

Thanks.

OMG
09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Exactly.
You not only have depreciation on your mower but insurnace for truck and trailer, fuel for truck, Insurance for truck and trailer, Liability insurance, Depreciation for truck and trailer and that is just a minor part of doing the business.
For example it costs me almost 22 per hour total costs. That is for roughly 40 hour work week. If it were a 10 hour work week those costs would be 88 per hour. Now this also includes over head for other business costs other than equiptment. I.e. advertising, office stuff, maintenace of other equip. and rainy day adj of .50 per hour of work.

I will agree with that, but I was assuming he was pulling his stuff to work each day as it is.....

Either way, he needs at least his fixed costs PLUS normal pay.....or get his normal cutting rate----which is what I originally said. (I think.....lol)

DuraCutter
09-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Like everyone else here, I mow grass. My question is to everyone, how much do you charge per hour to run your zt's? I'm not talking about mowing a job that takes 25-30 minutes and making $60...but how much would you charge to mow hourly?

Funny question I know, but I have a job where I use my personal mower Great Dane Chariot 61" cut and get paid by the hour from my primary employer. What would be a fair price for billing per hour factoring in the wear and tear on the machine?

What would be more than a fair price?

Thanks fellas.

Charge it out same as if your employer had to rent out the machine. That's fair and gives you same return rental company gets. I'd add another 20% over rental rate(call and find out what the rental rate would be in your area) to pay for insurance, hauling the machine there etc...

David W
09-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks to all on the advice. I usually run anywhere from 3 to 5 hours a week so hopefully I will figure something out.

I think around $25 or so will be fine. I don't really want to stick it to my employer. We have our own grounds care equipment...ztr, wb, 70hp tractors, 15' finish mowers, the whole works. I just bring my mower for when my partner and I tag-team certain areas that we stripe with ztr's.

Hate to charge them $40 to $50 an hour, but I kind of have a different situation here.

So thanks again for the suggestions and feedback.

Stay safe.