PDA

View Full Version : Lyme Disease

Sir mowsalot
09-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Moderator please dont send this post elsewhere, it is important that all the guys on the forum who mow and are around trees and shrubs read this.

As we are in a profession that is high risk to this disease i need to write to let you guys know about some things, cause if you get this disease you dont want to play around with it.

I got it back in early May, and started treatment 4-5 weeks later. I lost around 25% of my customers because i couldnt do the work. Had i not gotten treatment i would definately be out of business by now. This stuff pounds you hard, and will knock you down and there aint nothin you can do about it. I might be on my way to recovery but only time will tell, hopefully this will be a thing of the past.

Only 30% of the people infected ever get the classic bulls eye rash from the tick bite, i diddnt have one so dont think you dont have it if you didnt get a rash. If you suspect you might have it dont go to your family physician, because the tests they use are only about 20% accurate, i failed two blood tests and they told me i did not have lyme disease, its a good thing i didnt listen to them. Go to a LLMD(lyme literate medical doctor), (you can find one in your area by going to LYMENET.ORG) they will give you an accurate test, again i cant stress this enough, if you suspcet you have lyme disease dont PISS around!!!!! Dont let a typical doctor convince you that the tests they use are accurate, they ARE NOT! I didnt know any of this, and i happend on a lyme website and got an education in a hurry.

When i first got it i thought i had the flu(which is very common). It went away and kept coming back, then i was slammed with an incredible weakness in my muscles and extreme fatigue. I got so dizzy i could hardly use the z or even drive my truck.

If you do get lyme and dont get treated immediately it can turn into chronic lyme and then your up the river, becuase it progresses into other things and in some cases even blindness.

For whatever reasons i dont know, typical family physicians are reluctant to serioiusly check for lyme disease expecially if you dont have the bulls eye rash, and lyme is the great imitator. It mimics so many other illnesses. The first doctor told me i have depression and anxiety. Can you flippin beleive that?

I just wanted to write this so you guys are a little more educated and if you ever get it you'll know at least a little as to what to do.

jazak
09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
My dad got it severel yr.s ago and got cured of it. Says it was God, but he still has never fully regained his full health, ext.

lawncare18
09-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I got it last year in ct working on a golf course. thing kicked my butt to.. its hard thing to have when all you half to do is work.. id work 12 hrs a day plus and then go back to our hotel and strate to bed... it was hard dealing with it.. but I got it treated for early on.. I sure hope you are ok!!!!!! Keep us updated.

Envy Lawn Service
09-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, it can be really serious stuff.

My wife has chronic lyme disease.

Sir mowsalot
09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah, it can be really serious stuff.

My wife has chronic lyme disease.

Envy,
Give your wife my best. How is she doing?

rodfather
09-05-2006, 09:22 PM
got in the early summer of '99 luckily woke up with the bulls-eye on my thigh one sunday morning and knew what it was...did antibiotics immedately but it was still an awful year for me.

how in the f***ing world can something like that so small make someone so sick I would like to know?

Envy Lawn Service
09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Envy,
Give your wife my best. How is she doing?

Thanks,

She actually does pretty well with it now. I don't even pretend to understand it all that well. But she had to be treated a very long time for it. Like I said, I'm not all that educated about it, but from what I understand she is now occasionally suffering the after-effects of it, which is the chronic part.

It did some damage that she'll always have. Tissue damage, joint damage, nerve damage and so forth. She seems to have the most problems now with severe stinging sensations. These come and go, but she has been doing really well and not getting them a lot lately.

For the record, she did not get the classic bulls eye from the tick bite either.
In fact, she just got sick an collapsed.
Nobody had any idea what was wrong, so they just started testing for everything.

Good luck with it man. I hope you have a speedy recovery and I hope you do not suffer any lasting effects.

zim bob the landscaper
09-05-2006, 10:25 PM
wow that must suck. i give my best to u. also your wife envy.

Sir mowsalot
09-05-2006, 10:25 PM
got in the early summer of '99 luckily woke up with the bulls-eye on my thigh one sunday morning and knew what it was...did antibiotics immedately but it was still an awful year for me.

how in the f***ing world can something like that so small make someone so sick I would like to know?
Rod,
I know. I ask myself that question all the time. It seems impossible that a tiny little tick can inflict such huge damage. This stuff aint nothin to play around with thats for sure.

Husky05
09-06-2006, 02:44 AM
Hey just a quick post on this topic....I had lyme disease back in the summer of 2000. I just graduated highschool and was working for a local landscape company. One day I woke up and didnt feel right, really didnt think anything of it just thought I was probably getting sick. Boy I was right, I got hit hard couldnt do anything very weak and very tired. This lasted for about a week then I went to the doctor he told me that I had mono. So I layed in bed for a few days nothing happened. About 3 days later I woke up one morning and I had trouble moving my eyelids and moving my mouth. I went to my kitchen and ate something for breakfast and noticed things didnt taste right. By the end of the day I lost complete control and feeling in the right side of my face. I then went to the hospital. I had this strange virus called Bells Palsey. One of the side effects of lyme disease apparently when it is in its early stages is Bells Palsey. I got a blood test and tested positive for Lyme had to start taking this huge horse pill antibiotics. The paralyzed face lasted for 3 weeks. My doctor told me that he never saw someone so young ever get Bells Palsey but thats just to show you, lyme disease is something definitely not to mess around with its very serious.

rodfather
09-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Rod,
I know. I ask myself that question all the time. It seems impossible that a tiny little tick can inflict such huge damage. This stuff aint nothin to play around with thats for sure.

Exactly...it's not like it's something that the government came up or spawned with like chemical weapons :confused:

mdvaden
09-06-2006, 08:53 PM
That's the one that dogs get shots for.

Are there human vaccine shots too?

zim bob the landscaper
09-06-2006, 09:21 PM
you can also spay the sh!t out of your body with axe or body spray i heard it works but then u smell like a french h**. lol or off/raid bug spray thats what i do.

Gatewayuser
09-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I had it a few years ago I couldn't even walk I had the bulls eye mark on my right leg and didn't think about until I was super sick. I can honestly say that was the worst illness I ever had. Mono was bad too but not like Lyme.

SimonCX
09-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Lyme is no joke my dad had it years ago and it was bad, the doctors took tests and nothing came up. It spread badly and he almost got a heart attack, and ended up in intensive care for 7 days because his heart would stop when he went to sleep. They end up put a tube in his arm up to his heart for a while and had to inject every day. He lost alot of strength and endurance after it and still isn't 100%.

THEGOLDPRO
09-06-2006, 10:29 PM
lyme desiese actually originated in old lyme ct, so were more subseptable to it, my buddy got it a few years ago, and took it hard he really did very little work, he also said his eyes were very sensitive, and sun light hurt bad.

Sir mowsalot
09-06-2006, 10:46 PM
lyme desiese actually originated in old lyme ct, so were more subseptable to it, my buddy got it a few years ago, and took it hard he really did very little work, he also said his eyes were very sensitive, and sun light hurt bad.
Gold,
Yea, old lyme Ct. is where it originated when all the kids kept getting sick. It makes me wonder why this disease was concentrated and came out of one specific area. I wonder if this was man made originally for biochemical warfare and it somehow got out. How do you explain it popping up out of nowhere in one concentrated area if it is a natural thing? Since i got it ive been doing alot of studying up on it, and from what i understand lyme is almost identical to what the gulf war syndrome is, the disease that gulf war vets got. Sounds bio chemical to me.

turf dog
09-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I had Lyme disease early this summer. I got lucky and only lost a week and a half of work. I caught real early and the doctor put me on doxocyline. To add insult to injury the medicine made my skin very sensitive to the sun. All I need to end this season is a snake bite. I have had Lyme disease from tick bite, stung 5 times from a yellow jackets nest, and to top things off I was weedeating in some tall grass and disturbed a fire ant hill. I thought the weedeater line was popping my leg but it was thousands of fire ants.

Sir mowsalot
09-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I had Lyme disease early this summer. I got lucky and only lost a week and a half of work. I caught real early and the doctor put me on doxocyline. To add insult to injury the medicine made my skin very sensitive to the sun. All I need to end this season is a snake bite. I have had Lyme disease from tick bite, stung 5 times from a yellow jackets nest, and to top things off I was weedeating in some tall grass and disturbed a fire ant hill. I thought the weedeater line was popping my leg but it was thousands of fire ants.
Your name should be turfcat, cause your using up all your nine lives their buddy. Seriously, its great you caught the lyme early and nipped it in the bud. I also am on the doxycycline and friday i go in to the docs to up the dosage and really try to destroy this stuff once and for all.

Other than the tick bite, i dont recall anything else happening to me this year. Usually by now ive been stung a gazillion times but i dont think i got stung once this year.

ProStreetCamaro
09-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Very good subject right here. This should be made a sticky.

Luckily I nor any of my friends or family have ever gotten it but 1 of our customers kids got it. Actually 2 or 3 of her kids got it. It was caught early and taken care of but she warned us about the ticks in that area and also asked us to cut the grass very very short in an attempt to make it a bit safer for the kids to be in the yard. We told her that would damage the lawn and she didnt care so we obliged and did as she asked. Ever since then we have been checking ourselfs more often but that has sort of slacked off. Now that I read this thread I am going to pick back up on that again.

To all of those that have it or have gotten it in here I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-07-2006, 01:19 AM
I got it from a tick when i was younger, i think 10yrs old... It wasnt bad for me at all really, my pediatrician cought signs early when i started to feel weird, or sick which im never ever sick... my eyes looked a little droopy like under my eyes.. then one morning 2 days later the left side of my face was numb.. I was eating cereal and i couldnt close my whole mouth, the food was falling back out and im like, whats wrong, i cant talk strait either.. sucks

I had to be on an IV i know for like a month, this big sac of fluid every damn day... I had injections 2x a day too, this huge tube is put into your vein and a nurse came out every week to check.. The tube in your vein is so you dont get stabbed 10x a day, easier with the shot that way... I had to stay in from "recess/playground" at school for over amonth, boy that suckd.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Husky, i had bells pausy too... see its been so long i can barely remember, thats why my face got numb on the whole side, that only lasted like a day though i think.

Husky05
09-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Ya it was not a very fun. That was a very strange feeling not being able to blink, smile, or taste anything. Your lucky you had it for a day.

upidstay
09-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Lyme Disease originated in Old Lyme CT, not to far from an island in Long Island Sound where they do research on diseases. It's supposedly some big secret place where they do germ warfare stuff, but nobody really knows. Kind of suspicious to me.
This disease is the #1 vector borne disease in the country today. Cases are increasing yearly. There was a drop in reported cases here in CT because they cut the funding to track the data. It also fell victim to politics. The threat of it was keeping tourists away from that section of the coast, and hurting $$$. So they stopped publicizing it.
Another really &^%$ed thing about is that the Deer Tick population, the only carrier of it, can be directly tied to the deer population. No deer, no deer tick, no Lyme disease. But every time they do a controlled hunt on Deer the tree huggers chain themselves to the damned things and protest. "They're so pretty". We keep building houses in deer habitat, squeezing them out and into suburban areas. This has also spread the disease. They are spraying mosquitoes for West Nile Virus, of which there have been a handful of cases this year. But they are totally ignoring Lyme disease, of which there are thousands infected every year. Go figure.

rodfather
09-07-2006, 06:59 PM
What really scares me about it is long-term affect afterward even though you were diagnosed early and treated.

dfor
09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
There is a spray called Sawyer. It contains permethrin and you spray it on your clothes. They say it will kill and repel deer ticks. Supposed to last through 5 washings or a couple of weeks.

ProStreetCamaro
09-07-2006, 09:21 PM
There is a spray called Sawyer. It contains permethrin and you spray it on your clothes. They say it will kill and repel deer ticks. Supposed to last through 5 washings or a couple of weeks.

Hey man good looking out!

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/sawyer_products/pages/insect_repellent/family_group.htm

Deer season is almost here so I am going to order this stuff and give it a try. One day before I got in the truck after hunting I noticed a tick and started looking and ended up pulling 13 of them off of me.

Sir mowsalot
09-07-2006, 10:02 PM
What really scares me about it is long-term affect afterward even though you were diagnosed early and treated.
Hey Rod,
Scares me too! Even if treated, if you didnt kill it all completely off, it can manifest in other areas down the road. From what i understand it moves around in your body thru time and can affect your brain, nervous system, and especially your organs. After learning about this stuff, and talking to people who have chronic lyme, they all told me that most people never realize their health problems came from the damage the lyme did to them. Also it is rare to get lyme disease by itself and not have a coinfection(S) and typical Drs. dont treat for the coinfections. These are just as bad as the lyme itself.

Supposedly April/May is the worst months for getting lyme.

Sir mowsalot
09-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks dfor, im ordering this stuff. Also they say to wear white shirts so you can see any ticks better, and tuck your pants into your socks.

MOturkey
09-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Great post. My wife had Lyme about 10 years ago. Luckily, our physician at the time was up on the disease, and caught it in the early stages. That said, she has had numerous health issues since, most noteably arthritis. No way to be sure it is Lyme related, but the possibility definetely exists.

Last year, when a friend of mine from Rochester, NY was here visiting and turkey hunting, he walked into the living room one evening where my wife and I were watching TV, and asked what I thought of something on his neck. It was a classic bullseye, and I told him I was sure it was Lyme. We took some digital photos. By the next morning, the rash was almost gone. Had it been on his back, he likely would have never noticed it.

We got him in to see our local physician, who wrote him a scrip for the doxycycline. Then, when he got home, he badgered his regular physician until he gave him another round, as internet research showed a longer dosage regimen than our doctor had given him. He is now having a nerurological problem with one of legs. Lyme related? No way to know.

He also did lots of research (one of his son's is a physician), and told me exactly what Sirmowsalot said, about finding a "Lyme literate" physician.

Also, FYI, permanone spray can be purchased at any Wal-Mart store. It is in an orange and blue can, I believe, of late, and can be found in the camping section. It does work, although isn't foolproof. I use it every year when turkey hunting in the spring.

This is one area where an ounce of prevention is definitely worth a pound of cure. Simply searching for ticks each day after work can prevent the disease. If I'm not mistaken, they believe it takes several hours for enough of the disease to be transmitted through a tick bite to cause infection, therefore timely removal is important.

I've also had Bell's Palsy, but as far as I know it was not related to Lyme disease.

Sir mowsalot
09-08-2006, 07:36 AM
I forgot to mention something and its also important and that is the proper way to remove a tick.

Get tweezers and grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and pull it straight out. DONT try to irritate it with chemicals or heat or grasp them by the body, as this will cause the tick to inject more germs into your skin. Tape the tick to a card and record the date and location of the bite, because down the road if you do have lyme they can examine the tick and you will be able to give the Dr. vital information.

grasswhacker
09-08-2006, 07:42 AM
I forgot to mention something and its also important and that is the proper way to remove a tick.

Get tweezers and grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and pull it straight out. DONT try to irritate it with chemicals or heat or grasp them by the body, as this will cause the tick to inject more germs into your skin. Tape the tick to a card and record the date and location of the bite, because down the road if you do have lyme they can examine the tick and you will be able to give the Dr. vital information.

I've always just pulled them off with tweezers and flushed them, but your idea of taping it to a card and recording the info is good.