PDA

View Full Version : Flex fork installation help...

mark12
09-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Purchased a pair of flex forks today....now I'm installing them and something doesn't seem correct....I read that I am to use my same hardware....but I can not seem to get the final part off my old fork....it looks to be some kind of bearing that lets the form move freely ect....I've tried to stick a flathead screwdriver between the underside and try to push it up the shaft to come off put it isn't moving....my super is a 2002 so it isn't brand new...I had a heck of a time just getting the fork to drop down...had to beat on it a while. Is there some sort of trick or something simple I'm missing? Here is a pic of the part I can not remove...I was going to post this in the Hustler forum but I think PJ is off work and I've got my Z all torn apart and would like to get it back together before tomorrow. Any help would be great!

mowerconsultant
09-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Thats the lower bearing for sure, you need to clean up that shaft with some emery cloth and spray some penetrating fluid on the bearing and it should come off.
The bearings aren't that expensive, if you had to beat it out, you may be better off with new bearings anyways, I know that doesn't help you get it back together tonight, but its what I would do if it was mine.

Pj

mark12
09-06-2006, 02:30 AM
PJ, thanks for the reply...I went and bought some penetrating fluid this evening. I gave it a good spray and maybe it will come off tomorrow morning...if not I'm headed to the dealership to get new bearings. I'll let you know how it works out. I also purchased some white lightning lube...should I put some on the new fork so I don't run into the same problem?

Richard Martin
09-06-2006, 05:07 AM
You could put some anti-seize on the fork shaft where the bearing sits. That may help with future removals. If you have trouble getting the new bearing on the shaft put the shaft in the freezer. The cold will make the shaft shrink and the bearing will slide right on. You can also put the bearing on a George Forman type cooking grill at medium heat and it will make the bearing expand in size. Be careful, it will be hot when it comes off the grill. Don't heat the bearing if there is a dust seal on it.

mark12
09-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the tip...I'm flad I got the XL Forman grill so I can cook my eggs and bacon on one side and heat my bearings on the other.

mark12
09-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Well I went to my dealer this morning....he didn't have any bearings. I did manage to get one off late last night (2am). When I get myself in a situation like this I can not stand to just walk away until the next day....I keep working and thinking. I McGuiver'd the one bearing off last night and after leaving the dealer I went to Tractor Supply Co. where I was able to find the right bearing. After finally getting all the parts I needed I had the pair on in 10 minutes. Thanks PJ for your help the the tips from Richard Martin. Stick a fork in this thread cuz it's done (I hope)!