PDA

View Full Version : DOT Regulations..What are the requirements

rutwad
09-06-2006, 02:22 AM
What are the DOT requirements for trucks less than 26k? I have a Chevy 3500 and am looking to get a tandem/dual gooseneck trailer. Will I have to get a medical card, DOT stickers, reflectors, fire extinguisher? If so, what else?

thanks

Mike33
09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Here in Md. anything over 10,000 is commercial and recquires:
Semi annual physical card
Triangles
Fire ext.
Preventance Maint. sheet good for 1 year
Dot # on vechicle
Name and address of company on vechicle
Log book if traveling over 15 or 160 mile the term the way the crow flies kind of miles.
Truck and trailer in perfect condition, bobcats can be tied with only 2 straps, backhoe, dozer, larger excavater, must be ties in 4 corners.
Mike

rutwad
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Here in Md. anything over 10,000 is commercial and recquires:
Semi annual physical card
Triangles
Fire ext.
Preventance Maint. sheet good for 1 year
Dot # on vechicle
Name and address of company on vechicle
Log book if traveling over 15 or 160 mile the term the way the crow flies kind of miles.
Truck and trailer in perfect condition, bobcats can be tied with only 2 straps, backhoe, dozer, larger excavater, must be ties in 4 corners.
Mike

That sounds about right for AL. I had heard them once, but wasn't sure about all of it.
A physical twice a year, really?
Preventive Maint. sheet must contain what?
Bus. name & tel. # isn't good enough?
And are mudflaps required for one-ton flat beds?

Thanks

Potomac Lawns Inc.
09-06-2006, 09:47 PM
You only need a physical once every 2 years in maryland.

Mike33
09-06-2006, 10:56 PM
That sounds about right for AL. I had heard them once, but wasn't sure about all of it.
A physical twice a year, really?
Preventive Maint. sheet must contain what?
Bus. name & tel. # isn't good enough?
And are mudflaps required for one-ton flat beds?

Thanks
I meant card was good for 2 years i dont know why i said semi-annual. Prev. Maint. sheet has a list of things you are supposed to check : lights, brakes, tires, etc. when you make a repair you are supposed to check that colum and i think have a copy of the receipt of the repair. Bus name and phone # also town and state on both sides of truck, that is a $50.00 fine i paid it before. As far as mudflaps yes that is a expensive item to get caught with missing or torn. These items you will have to check the regulation book and i swear depending on cop i think they make up there own laws
Mike

Mike33
09-06-2006, 10:56 PM
You only need a physical once every 2 years in maryland.
Thanks, thats what i meant to say just came out wrong.
Mike

dwlah
09-06-2006, 11:07 PM
www.dps.state.al.us/public/highwaypatrol/mc
This should help us out I found it on the Fox 6 page the other day when they were talking to the state patrol guy Havent had time to take a close look at it to find out what Ive got to have

dwlah
09-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Well I took a look
10 pages of instructions
4 pages of application
:dizzy:
Oh the joy more paperwork to fill out:rolleyes:

lawn king
09-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Here in massachusetts our trucks also need a federal inspection as well as state, and all the other stuff already mentioned in this thread!

rutwad
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Wil they actually weigh the truck and compare it to the manufacturer's GCWR?

Just wondering because I should be real close, hopefully not over!

dwlah
09-08-2006, 10:19 AM
I dont see them setting up a scale but you never know around here
There have been reports of guys getting pulled over along I 459
(friend of a friend of a friend kinda thing) Just giving warnings now dont know when they will start costing bucks

Mike33
09-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I have been pulled over before haulig gravel and asked to see my weigh slip from quarry than check the gvw on registration.
Mike

Mike33
09-08-2006, 10:48 PM
My pet peeve is and they finally started to do something about it. I live real close to a quarry, watch general public go in with half ton pickup and load up. These guys would pull out with the rear bumper almost dragging the road. Dot in the last year has been pulling them over and they should. The law should apply to every one instead of just us guys out there making a living,
Mike

Potomac Lawns Inc.
09-09-2006, 08:21 AM
I have seen them pulling un lettered trucks with dump trailers over down here

Mike33
09-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Give them time.
Mike

murray83
09-09-2006, 07:54 PM
The law should apply to every one instead of just us guys out there making a living,
Mike

100% totally agree,if any driver is that much of a moron and endangers another driver DOT should step in if allowed.

Mike33
09-09-2006, 08:51 PM
100% totally agree,if any driver is that much of a moron and endangers another driver DOT should step in if allowed.
Im telling you that used to happen across the road from me. 1 guy actually pulled out and rolled a tire. Also 2 miles down the road from me is a concrete plant and block, etc. I did see dot pull off a guy with a half ton truck with a skid of block on back. Truck was so sagged. Also what got me was 2 years a go i was bad for not wearing seat belts. i got pulled over and my fine was $10.00 more just because i have cdls and i was in a personel vechicle.
Mike

tylermckee
09-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Around here if you get pulled over they will weigh you if they feel like it, and it can screw you cause they will weigh all corners. Depending on the cop, their mood, or the weather, they will go from front to back, top to bottom and ding you for every little thing they find. Best timt to get pulled over is in the rain cause they just want to hop back in their car as soon as they can.

Mike33
09-10-2006, 12:27 AM
I have a friend who was pulled over 1 day everything checked out good. He drives 15 miles another dot cop pulls him over, he says to cop i was just pulled over and everyyhing is fine. The cop replied ill find something wrong, and he did little dick crap item coct him 200.00
Mike

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
09-10-2006, 12:58 AM
The online Dot number form for Alabama will take about 5 to 10 minuts to fill out online. They'll give you your DOT number online. Then you must have your company name and phone number plus the DOT number visible from 50 ft away while using the truck for business. Alot of farmers are using magnets since the new law applies to them also. Any vehicle not for recreational use that when hooked to a trailer will gross more than 10,00 lbs must display DOT number when used for business. I run an enclosed Isuzu npr hd and pull an open trailer with z71 4x4 and have to have numbers displayed on both. You also need emergency triangles and fire extinguishers. You can get the dot physical and medical card when you go to doctor for a regular check-up. It's only a few dollars extra.

mad_wrestler
09-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Here are the GA Dept of Driver Services requirements for CDL

Beginning July 1, 2006, all drivers applying for or renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Georgia must complete the Highway Watch® safety and security program, a mandatory safety awareness and anti-terrorism training program. After completing training, drivers will receive a Highway Watch® Identification Card that they will need to present to the Department of Driver Services (DDS) when applying for an initial CDL or upon renewing their CDL.

Training materials and more information are available by calling the Georgia Motor Trucking Association (GMTA) at (770) 444-9771 or by visiting the Highway Watch ® website at www.highwaywatch.com or the Georgia Motor Trucking Association website at www.gmta.org.

CDL General Information
Persons 18 to 21 may obtain a commercial driver’s license, but will be restricted to drive in Georgia only. On or after the 21st birthday, the driver must go to the examination station and the Georgia Only restriction will be lifted. Anyone who drives the following is required to obtain and carry a commercial driver’s license:

Combination of vehicles weighing 26, 001 pounds or more,
Single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 26, 001 pounds or more
Single vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (including the driver)
Any size vehicle which requires hazardous material placards.

rutwad
09-30-2006, 05:38 PM
What about the online application for DOT numbers? Is that just an identification number and nothing to do with the vehicle inspection