PDA

View Full Version : Bidding a 160 Unit Condo Complex

PLMaint.
09-06-2006, 11:20 AM
We are bidding on a 160 unit condo complex, the specs for this job are as follow:
MOWING: 34 cuts, we have to catch the grass every week. We are able to use 52's on about 90% of the complex, 21" on other 10%, each unit would take appx. 15 min. to complete everything (mowing, trimming, edging, Blow off) additional cutting for complex entrance and office is less than an acre.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

wski4fun
09-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I would say around $1900 per cut. 5 guys one day should do it. Figure out your cost of everything for that day plus your profit and see if it comes close. A couple hundred to the right person might get you a precise answer and a couple thousand might get you the contract. I have a friend who is a manager of an assisted living place who bought a harley which his salary can't support. Just a thought.

PLMaint.
09-06-2006, 11:49 AM
thanks for the reply. What would you say about the fertilizing. appx. 800,000 sq. ft. 5 applications per year

absolutelawnman
09-06-2006, 12:28 PM
what type of fert, what rate, what type of spreader, your competitor knows it down to the sq ft cost, or cost per thousand. As far as mowing what is the square footage of the yard, how long will it take you to mow one with a three man crew, divide that out into a day how many crews will you need, do you need to work more than one day?

evergreenedmond
09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
$1,900 sounds about right to me, but I'de go with a 4 man crew & give them all day at :15 per complex you are looking at 40 man hrs plus odds & ends with the office I'de push them to have it all completed in 11 hrs. Without having sq ft for the chem apps. I'de guess you are looking at approx 2,200 per app. Remember that you will be bidding against other companies so you you might not be able to get premium price per cut so try to make up for this by upselling them on EVERYTHING. Another thing to do is to send the office something a few days after you submit your bid, I started sending cookie bouquets with my card attached.

rodfather
09-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I sure hope you are equipped to take away that much grass...almost 19 acres worth...screw that IMO, better bring along some large dump trucks.

Idealtim
09-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Yea I'm with rod, don't forget to factor in all the grass clippings, baggers and the time to keep dumping it.

rodfather
09-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Yea I'm with rod, don't forget to factor in all the grass clippings, baggers and the time to keep dumping it.

And it's gonna get fert 5 times a year :laugh: ...be prepared to be there 2 days a week in april, may, and june (and you better hope for a dry summer) as well. IMO, you had better think this one over just a little more cost-wise that is.

LwnmwrMan22
09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Are you talking attached condo units?? And how many in each building?

My rates are $40 / unit / month, if there's not alot of common areas, including fertilziing.

At this rate, you'd be at around $6400 for it all, per month.

If there's hardly no common areas, I've been as low as $20 / unit / month, but that's where they are all in one building, much like an apartment building which was converted into condos.

Even at these prices, I've been lowballed out the door, to the point where I don't put up with the headache of having many, many, many people sitting around, watching you work, thinking that you should do their job any other way than the way you're really doing it.

TURF DOCTOR
09-07-2006, 12:11 AM
NO WAY would i bag that much grass.

nobagger
09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Just put mulch kits on the mowers then through a bagger on the side and no one would be the wiser. Oh did I say that out loud?:laugh:

iluvscag
09-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Your clever I like you.:weightlifter:

Jpocket
09-07-2006, 10:03 PM
I sure hope you are equipped to take away that much grass...almost 19 acres worth...screw that IMO, better bring along some large dump trucks.

Yep...If you've got all one-ton dumps and pickups better plan on yourself dumping a truck a few times for that day.