PDA

View Full Version : "Heavy Weight ZTRs"

Daner
09-06-2006, 05:08 PM
The weight of ZTRs IMO can really make a big diference of the overall job.
The Heavy weights 1500 lbs on my zee..IThink Its a bit too much for todays lawns.
Have any of you had experience with running a light machine and compared It to the heavy ones??
What about the tire size ...I know that will make a difference if Its wider It should spread the weight out.
We all know how tricky ZTRs can be to try not to rut or tear turf
What do you guys think?

newbomb
09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
The only time weight is a big deal is if the lawn is brand new or the ground is saturated with water. If the turf is reasonably dry the machine will float along ok on the large tires. Ruts and gouges occur mostly due to operator errors or " cowboy" operators. I have a Turf Tiger 61 and I can run it anywhere it fits.

rodfather
09-06-2006, 06:11 PM
If ground conditions are a concern, we'll use WB's that day on that property instead. 61" WB's vs 61" Z's...no big deal IMO. Gotta do what ya gotta do is all.

Daner
09-06-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm looking at the Scags Sabre tooth...And It weighs 1685 lbs...That seems like a lot of compaction over time.
Maybe the over sized tire compensate for the weight difference.
I,m In the market for a new Z for next season..and I just want to make the right choice..Has to be a diesel approx 60" and has to hold hills good.
I like this scag#1 its shaft drive...that part i really like...plus a good bagging system...and a striping kit...a'm I up to 3 tons yet?