PDA

View Full Version : Hustler testing a Toyota 22R 4 cyl. on a Super Z.

HenryB
09-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Would that make you maniacs happy:laugh: . The horsepower you guys want on these ZTR's is getting a little loco (crazy). Even my 60inch Super Z w/collection system and thick grass does good(24hp Honda). Double cutting and slowing down is part of mowing commerially:hammerhead: . Having said that I'd like a diesel for the torque but an 1800lb mower on residentials?:nono:

TriCountyLawn
09-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Will that motor be EFI ?

topsites
09-06-2006, 08:15 PM
I would prefer a gas turbine system that puts out around 80,000 pounds of torque, but the noise and exhaust issues appear insurmountable.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8b/GE_H_series_Gas_Turbine.jpg/350px-GE_H_series_Gas_Turbine.jpg

Then you've got this space issue, where to fit it...
http://www.gasturbinetraining.com/Gas%20Turbine%20Training%20Pictures%20060.jpg

jsf343
09-06-2006, 08:26 PM
I would prefer a gas turbine system that puts out around 80,000 pounds of torque, but the noise and exhaust issues appear insurmountable.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8b/GE_H_series_Gas_Turbine.jpg/350px-GE_H_series_Gas_Turbine.jpg

Then you've got this space issue, where to fit it...
http://www.gasturbinetraining.com/Gas%20Turbine%20Training%20Pictures%20060.jpg

aaahhhhaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!:laugh: :laugh: Thats good! I was just going to say they are testing a 454 on them until I saw your post.

lawnmaniac883
09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Now thats what I am talkin about topsites. . . mount that on a 20 foot ZTR and away you go haha.

Travis Followell
09-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Now thats what I am talkin about topsites. . . mount that on a 20 foot ZTR and away you go haha.
What about the fuel consumption? I bet its not too good.:laugh:

tomo
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Well since i have worn out the blower and run out of methanol
'''Dam"" i will just have to up grade.[those head studs were always a problem]
HA HA HA HA HA :laugh: :laugh:
BETTER YET IS THIS THE NEW HUSTLER ENGINE -----now we can turn those pwr robbing hydraulic pumps, just have to watch those hills to fast and u will take off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:
TOMO

Distorted
09-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Does it use blades or just directed exhaust?

Scotts' Yard Care
09-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I've got my heart set on a shaft turbine from a Bell 206 Jetranger:laugh: We got to see one up close when Lifeflite was holding a membership drive. As I recall it is around 400hp or so and only weighs maybe 150 lbs.

TLS
09-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Would that make you maniacs happy:laugh: . The horsepower you guys want on these ZTR's is getting a little loco (crazy). Even my 60inch Super Z w/collection system and thick grass does good(24hp Honda). Double cutting and slowing down is part of mowing commerially:hammerhead: .

Have you ever mowed with a mower with GOOD power? Once you have, and get used to it, it will forever haunt your future.

My 28efi/60 SuperZ is underpowered, your 24 wouldn't leave the showroom floor if I were writing the check.

iluvscag
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Topsites lets talk, I think I can mount it.

HenryB
09-06-2006, 11:02 PM
TLS,
I've mowed with 50hp plus diesels on golf courses. Cut entire State Parks w/ 21inch Snapper Hi-Vacs and everything in between. Trust me I've mowed more grass with more mowers in the past 10 years than you will in your lifetime. Mowers need more research and design not more HP. Think about a Ryobi 40cc trimmer and a Redmax 22cc trimmer the Redmax blows it out of the water. It's commical how ignorant people are. It's so much easier to slap a giant motor rather than redesign a unit to improve it A buddy of mine builds racecars he can't believe ZTR's aren't improved with design. If someone like him ever began building mowers the industry would be turned on it's head; I wish he would.

TLS
09-07-2006, 07:06 AM
TLS,
I've mowed with 50hp plus diesels on golf courses. Cut entire State Parks w/ 21inch Snapper Hi-Vacs and everything in between. Trust me I've mowed more grass with more mowers in the past 10 years than you will in your lifetime.
I'm going to take offense to that comment Henry. :(

But, I guess me telling you that your mower is underpowered is doing just the same. :rolleyes:

If I'm mowing with the same machine, without a bagger (could not imagine doing this), and I find myself wishing for a LOT more power, then there is NO doubt that yours is significantly worse.

Slowing down just because there is a slight up hill grade is just not something that we should have to do.

TriCountyLawn
09-07-2006, 11:31 AM
TLS, Have you check out the 33hp Dixie w/ the 60" deck ?

TLS
09-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I've had my tour of duty with DC's. They have to make several changes for me to get back on board with them.

My old 25/60 DC had pleanty of power until I had head gasket problems...it was never right after the first gasket problem.

That 33/60 must be a great performer though!

DC does have a very efficient deck, but they don't use 21cc pumps, so the power goes directly to the blades very well.

Imow4u2
09-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Have you ever mowed with a mower with GOOD power? Once you have, and get used to it, it will forever haunt your future.

My 28efi/60 SuperZ is underpowered, your 24 wouldn't leave the showroom floor if I were writing the check.

No Doubt!! My Dixie Chopper is a real powerhouse compared to my super Z I wish i could have gotten the E.F.I. in a reg. Z:cry:

Idealtim
09-10-2006, 09:14 PM
''80,000lbs of torque propelling the new quadvantage deck;mulch, discharge, bag, or launch to next town.'' I can already hear it on the next promo dvd for exmark, rotflmao!!! But seriously, where did you find those pics?

ElephantNest
09-10-2006, 11:35 PM
eXmark 60" with 31 HP here. I don't slow down.

24? ha! :)

mowtech
09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
TLS,
I've mowed with 50hp plus diesels on golf courses. Cut entire State Parks w/ 21inch Snapper Hi-Vacs and everything in between. Trust me I've mowed more grass with more mowers in the past 10 years than you will in your lifetime. Mowers need more research and design not more HP. Think about a Ryobi 40cc trimmer and a Redmax 22cc trimmer the Redmax blows it out of the water. It's commical how ignorant people are. It's so much easier to slap a giant motor rather than redesign a unit to improve it A buddy of mine builds racecars he can't believe ZTR's aren't improved with design. If someone like him ever began building mowers the industry would be turned on it's head; I wish he would.

What makes you think that a racecar builder could build a better ZTR? There are 40-50 manufacturers of ZTRs out there and competition is tough. Work has been done to improve deck design using such tools as computational analysis and similitude, plus lots of plan old trial and error. Millions and millions of dollars have been spent in these efforts over many years. Designing a better cutting system using less power is not as easy as you might think. Plus there is a significant range of performance between manufacturers today, but most don't notice. Anyway, to improve them much over where they are today would require a significant increase in cost and no one seems to be willing to pay much more for a more efficient deck, it is just not an easy sell as is horsepower. One important point; however, is that decks are capacity limited. There is a point where more horsepower does absolutely nothing for you.