PDA

View Full Version : Some help please

Kickin Your Grass
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
I need more room in the bed to dump grass and leaves. Should I build the sides up? If so, with what (pics would help) Should I buy a dump insert? Im thinking a tarp and rope to pull it out would work better then a heavy dump insert. Maybe I just need to build the sides up. What do u suggest?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/dallas02GT/4095.jpg

FearThisDeere
09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
I would NOT put a dump insert in that truck, it is a 4.8 right? No way. I think you are pretty much limited to what you have now. You could try to build the sides up a little with wood and mount stakes in the small stake pockets, but it is a 1/2 ton. You are pretty limited I afraid. Just make sure the grass isn't wet!

Kickin Your Grass
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
I would NOT put a dump insert in that truck, it is a 4.8 right? No way. I think you are pretty much limited to what you have now. You could try to build the sides up a little with wood and mount stakes in the small stake pockets, but it is a 1/2 ton. You are pretty limited I afraid. Just make sure the grass isn't wet!

Yep, It's a 4.8 V-8. Why would I have to make sure the grass isnt wet? Are you worried about it overloading the engine or to much weight in the bed in general?

Mike33
09-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I hate to comment Allen , i talked you out of the lettering :clapping:
Mike

Kickin Your Grass
09-07-2006, 12:17 AM
I hate to comment Allen , i talked you out of the lettering :clapping:
Mike

I'd rather get it right now then be complaining later.

tthomass
09-07-2006, 01:00 AM
get a good woven tarp ($50) + rope to pull out your debris.......build the sides, you can haul more brush and you can letter them, see:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=152097&highlight=image

Kickin Your Grass
09-07-2006, 08:25 AM
get a good woven tarp ($50) + rope to pull out your debris.......build the sides, you can haul more brush and you can letter them, see:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=152097&highlight=image

Thank you!

nt1
09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
We use several tarps layered like a sandwich or sometimes burritos. We will lay down a tarp, put on a little debri, lay down a tarp, put on a little debri and so on. It works well with the sideboards and the limited amount of leaves we haul away in the fall.

FearThisDeere
09-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Yep, It's a 4.8 V-8. Why would I have to make sure the grass isnt wet? Are you worried about it overloading the engine or to much weight in the bed in general?
I would mostly be worried about over loading the back. The 4.8 is a good engine. How much grass do you think you would be putting in there in a day?

Kickin Your Grass
09-07-2006, 04:19 PM
I would mostly be worried about over loading the back. The 4.8 is a good engine. How much grass do you think you would be putting in there in a day?

Not a lot. Maybe a bed full a week. We will be filling it up with leaves during the winter on a daily basis.

J&R Landscaping
09-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I would just build the sides of the bed up a little. You do not want to throw a dump insert into a 1/2 ton truck.

tthomass
09-07-2006, 07:47 PM
sides use for your sign and brush and able to get a little extra mulch or whatever......stop the grass at the bed

FearThisDeere
09-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Not a lot. Maybe a bed full a week. We will be filling it up with leaves during the winter on a daily basis.
You should be fine. Just build the sides up a little with wood and you will be rewdy to go. That way you can take them off really easily when not needed.

South Florida Lawns
09-07-2006, 08:15 PM

You would be surprised what these trucks can carry, I know I am.

I would just do the tarp thing and if your really need the insert get it.

Scag48
09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
The insert would weigh more than that truck can legally haul, let alone dogging that 4.8

copeblk
09-07-2006, 09:43 PM
never used one but take a look at this...http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_466604_466604. maybe someone else can say if there worth it or not????

mikes landscaping
09-07-2006, 10:07 PM
personally i think they look like crap i dont see how that could hold up well.

South Florida Lawns
09-09-2006, 05:18 PM
I hear they break too.

I have had my truck loaded with a cat 3406 in the back.

That's way more weight than any insert with stone or dirt.

And I also have the 4.3 v6, trust me these trucks can take a lot, without a sweat.

duke99
09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
yah ... i have one of those .. there called " the LoadHandler " .. its works okay ... as far as hauling grass debris ... ya it works good ... hauling dirt its works good also ... but 1-2 ' river rock different story ... it works okay ... the only thing is when you get a half yard of rock .. you lower your tailgate down you start to wind up the mat ... and your tailgate lifts up because of the weight ... my opinion .. they need to design a better mounting system for it .. straps dont hold worth crap .. and they need to lower the price a lil bit ... just my .002