PDA

View Full Version : How much would you charge?

jpicciu
09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
I am going to place a bid for a job mowing a brand new high school. Haven't had the opportunity to go out and inspect the property closely, but its roughly 14 acres, wide open, nothing to trim around, pretty much a mower's fantasy job. Bidding has never been my specialty, so what do you guys think? This is strictly for mowing, not landscaping or any of that jazz.

Runner
09-06-2006, 09:40 PM
It'll end up going between 140 and 280 bucks. That is 10 to 20 an acre. When it comes to the public bids like this, the WAMs (wide area mowers) move in and clean house. These guys that have these machines use them - and cut alot of grass. They can afford to come in and do it for that.

green acres lawns
09-06-2006, 11:10 PM
It'll end up going between 140 and 280 bucks. That is 10 to 20 an acre. When it comes to the public bids like this, the WAMs (wide area mowers) move in and clean house. These guys that have these machines use them - and cut alot of grass. They can afford to come in and do it for that.
Schools around here are in that range also. Enjoy the wide open spaces while you can, because next year they will probably plant 200 trees for you to trim around. All of our schools have miles of chain link fences around every thing that have to be trimmed or sprayed.

Runner
09-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah, these guys who do stuff like that run in an entirely different market. It is a whole different entity in cutting. They are awesome, but you certainly have to have the work for them. I know a gu that does a whole school district, and it is amazing the price he does that stuff for. There is no way I could do it..it would literally COST me money to do it.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-07-2006, 01:34 AM

I dont understand this either. I see a few locals with the WAMS or even just front mowers with 72" decks, usually Deeres or jacobsens etc.. What gives? Those mowers are a fortune? a high model Deere 4x4 1535 Diesel, i think 36hp, from 72" deck is damn like 22g after the deck cost, thats not including the cab for $3700 either here guys.

Im sorry if i had to have ONE truck/trailer go out toa site to do 10-30 acres or something, wide open or not, theyre not getting my 20k machine cheaper than $20 an acre, thats $200 per 10 acres is fair as it gets. maybe $350 for 20 acres at bottom price. Figure these machines wide open can do 12-15mph?

Any JD wide area mower thats got the 3 units that fold down on the sides and are more like 130" wide decks are almost 30 grand!

jpicciu
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
So would it not be a wise decision to try and get this place if I don't operate with a WAM, but rather 2 ZTR's. To me, it seems like a good idea, especially since I am dropping a large accoun t at the end of the year and this one woulod compensate nicely. I don't think I am underestimating this job, what do you guys think?

rodfather
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
So would it not be a wise decision to try and get this place if I don't operate with a WAM, but rather 2 ZTR's.

Simple...your 2 Z's will not compete dollar wise or productivity wise vs a WAM.