PDA

View Full Version : Need advice when using edger

S man
09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I have a fcs edger w/ my stihl and need some techniques and advice for using it. I've used others like the echo pe200 and the stihl fc75, but this one has more power and cutting torque. But I am still getting weird results like it's not leaving a clean enough egde and is missing grass. I have the blade in the ground and am going slow. A company I worked for said you can run with it once you get the hang of using it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

S man
09-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Hello. any comments?

stuffdeer
09-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Wow...It seems as your having nothing but problems with all your stuff missing grass?

Are you missing grass when you blow, You might want to check.

All I have to say is, I practically run with my edger, and it is a toro model.

Oh yeah J/k to the comment above

WildWest
09-08-2006, 09:34 PM
I have a fcs edger w/ my stihl and need some techniques and advice for using it. I've used others like the echo pe200 and the stihl fc75, but this one has more power and cutting torque. But I am still getting weird results like it's not leaving a clean enough egde and is missing grass. I have the blade in the ground and am going slow. A company I worked for said you can run with it once you get the hang of using it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Saw you post yeasterday, but wasn't sure what an FCS edger was, did a google and I see now.

It should be working fine. If the RPM's are good, and a fresh blade is on, you should be cutting at a normanl walking pace. You said that you have "the blade in the ground" is that slowing the blade? Are you holding the edger at a slight angle? I tilt my edger to the right so the blade at the grass level is about 3/4 of an inch from the edge that i'm cutting and the end of the blade is actually touching the concrete 4 inches below? Is that understandable?

S man
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Wow...It seems as your having nothing but problems with all your stuff missing grass?

Are you missing grass when you blow, You might want to check.

All I have to say is, I practically run with my edger, and it is a toro model.

Oh yeah J/k to the comment above

Actually I'm not. My mowers cut fine and my handhelds are great. I just need some tips like wildwest posted and not b.s.

Saw you post yeasterday, but wasn't sure what an FCS edger was, did a google and I see now.

It should be working fine. If the RPM's are good, and a fresh blade is on, you should be cutting at a normanl walking pace. You said that you have "the blade in the ground" is that slowing the blade? Are you holding the edger at a slight angle? I tilt my edger to the right so the blade at the grass level is about 3/4 of an inch from the edge that i'm cutting and the end of the blade is actually touching the concrete 4 inches below? Is that understandable?

Yes it is the fc110 beast and is great on new edges. Putting the blade in the ground does not slow it down. It propells you when the blade it too far down. I have gotten better at it everytime I use it. It seems like fine grass is the type it misses compared to st. aug and heavy weeds. And yes the angle is understandable and right. I will try it. Thanks.

stuffdeer
09-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Actually I'm not. My mowers cut fine and my handhelds are great. I just need some tips like wildwest posted and not b.s.

Yes it is the fc110 beast and is great on new edges. Putting the blade in the ground does not slow it down. It propells you when the blade it too far down. I have gotten better at it everytime I use it. It seems like fine grass is the type it misses compared to st. aug and heavy weeds. And yes the angle is understandable and right. I will try it. Thanks.

DUDE...I said J/k...And for your info...It meant JUST KIDDING. Jeez.

Oh yeah, and the reason I posted this is, you had nothing but trouble from the Toro when you got it, so.

captken
09-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Hello nola,

I used to live on Royal Street in the Marigny when I worked on boats. I left and retired from boats in 2001. Live near Memphis now.

Have been an LCO since. Have gotten quite sucessful. I haven't posted much here lately. But I want to help.

Try pulling BACK as you are edging. Go foward and pull back. Works well for properties that haven't been edged in a while.

The rotation of the blade will pull the machine [and you] foward.

By pulling back, against the rotation, you can clean out the groove better. Edge foward and Edge reverse. Yes you can "run with it" but only after you have created the groove in which to do so....
kenny.

Runner
09-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Ok. Here's the trick And this holds true with ANY edger. When you're edging, you have to keep the edger slightly angled so the very FRONT of the blade is pointing inward and is touching the concrete first. This WEDGING ensures that the blade is cutting clean against the concrete. Otherwise, what happens is that soil get pinched in between the blade and the concrete and it doesn't get a clean cut. Now, when you do this, you only keep it angled very slightly - just enough that you feel that front of that blade cutting.You wiil actually feel when you are getting a clean cut. The same holds true with wheeled edgers. I keep the edger slightly pivoted (every few feet lift up on the rear wheels slightly an scoot the back (handles) toward the turf to hold slight tension on the front of the blade. I hope this helps. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

S man
09-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok. Here's the trick And this holds true with ANY edger. When you're edging, you have to keep the edger slightly angled so the very FRONT of the blade is pointing inward and is touching the concrete first. This WEDGING ensures that the blade is cutting clean against the concrete. Otherwise, what happens is that soil get pinched in between the blade and the concrete and it doesn't get a clean cut. Now, when you do this, you only keep it angled very slightly - just enough that you feel that front of that blade cutting.You wiil actually feel when you are getting a clean cut. The same holds true with wheeled edgers. I keep the edger slightly pivoted (every few feet lift up on the rear wheels slightly an scoot the back (handles) toward the turf to hold slight tension on the front of the blade. I hope this helps. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the info. I will try it and see what happens. Does the wheel configuration on the fc110 have anything to do with it edging a certain way?

Precision
09-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I will try it and see what happens. Does the wheel configuration on the fc110 have anything to do with it edging a certain way?
The wheel position is sort of an adjustment for the height of the person using the edger so you don't drag the head or not cut any grass.

Another thing you could check is the bolt that holds the blade in place. On my FC 110's that bolt seems to need to be TORQUED down good or it works loose and the blade spins. Probably not it but worth checking.

S man
09-10-2006, 01:08 PM
The wheel position is sort of an adjustment for the height of the person using the edger so you don't drag the head or not cut any grass.

Another thing you could check is the bolt that holds the blade in place. On my FC 110's that bolt seems to need to be TORQUED down good or it works loose and the blade spins. Probably not it but worth checking.

So basically you have to work to keep it going right and it's not just "wheel along".

Runner
09-10-2006, 04:48 PM
With a stick edger, you'll feel a little bit of pull (and it will fluctuate), but for the most part, you just walk along with it.

Precision
09-10-2006, 09:18 PM
So basically you have to work to keep it going right and it's not just "wheel along".
you can wheel along once you have an established edge and know how to do it. but like anything else it is just about doing it and getting good at it.

S man
09-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm still disappointed with it. No matter what you do it makes this sissy egde that has grass hanging on where it just edged. My dealer WILL NOT return it and WILL ONLY do warranty work if something is wrong with it. If the dealer doesn't own that piece of equipment, and the manufacturer does, I can't return it right?

jsf343
09-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm still disappointed with it. No matter what you do it makes this sissy egde that has grass hanging on where it just edged. My dealer WILL NOT return it and WILL ONLY do warranty work if something is wrong with it. If the dealer doesn't own that piece of equipment, and the manufacturer does, I can't return it right?

I can say I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine does the same thing especially when the blade is worn. My solution was to buy the thicker Stihl blades and I even sharpened one to experiment a bit. It made a big difference. I am frustrated that stihl does not offer pre sharpened blades but thats the way it goes I guess. Give it a try you will see what I mean. Pm me if you need to. Jeff

Total.Lawn.Care
09-18-2006, 02:13 PM

I have the FC100 Stihl Edger and Love it. I did, however, take all of that wheel gargabe off of mine. I hold them just above the surface and sorta allow them to Float along over the cutting surface. I think it helps and allows more control over the edger adn give you a better feel for proper cutting. I can practically run along an edge with my edger, as long at the property has been edged recently.

Your edger definetly has enough power. Try removing those wheels and see how you like it. I could never edge worth a flip until I took off the wheels and it was a huge difference.

S man
09-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I have the FC100 Stihl Edger and Love it. I did, however, take all of that wheel gargabe off of mine. I hold them just above the surface and sorta allow them to Float along over the cutting surface. I think it helps and allows more control over the edger adn give you a better feel for proper cutting. I can practically run along an edge with my edger, as long at the property has been edged recently.

Your edger definetly has enough power. Try removing those wheels and see how you like it. I could never edge worth a flip until I took off the wheels and it was a huge difference.

Thanks. The wheel does seem worthless and it gets in the way. The funny thing is the dealer said it's a stick edger and can't really go through thick stuff. Then what the hell did I buy it for then. I could of got a echo pe 200. lol..

Total.Lawn.Care
09-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks. The wheel does seem worthless and it gets in the way. The funny thing is the dealer said it's a stick edger and can't really go through thick stuff. Then what the hell did I buy it for then. I could of got a echo pe 200. lol..

If yoru growth is over about 1" thick, it does cause a problem. but once it is cut back the first time, maintenance after that should not be an issue. Work with it a little. I think you will liek it in the long frun when you figure out your method of using it.

S man
09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I think so too. My dealer said to bring it in and he will adjust something on it. I was thinking of selling it but it doesn't seem worth it.
I see that yours is a curved shaft. Mine is the straight shaft. The straight shaft has more power but seems the same as the curved when you get a new edge to make. Is that because it's not broken in yet?

Total.Lawn.Care
09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
The straight shaft has more power but seems the same as the curved when you get a new edge to make. Is that because it's not broken in yet?

I do not think it is because it is new. I think it is just because they are fairly light and the spinning of the blade causes them to try to climb out if the grove you are trying to make. They are beasts compared to the residential models, but you will get the hand of it, I feel sure of that.

captken
09-19-2006, 08:35 AM
I own a Stihl FC85 pro. Arguably the best stick edger made.

It is a straight shaft.

A stick edger can only do so much. You might be asking too much from it. If you are cutting the groove for the first time you might look at purchasing a walkbehind edger.
I have an nice older John Deere E 35 that I use to cut edge the first time.
The stick edger is used basically for maintenance of the edge once established.
Whoever posted about sharpening an edger blade...don't do it! They wear out soon enough! Don't sharpen them.
I use edger blades shaped like this, +. The one that came with my Stihl is shaped like this, -.

Sometimes after edging, I'll go back with a trimmer to tidy up where I just edged. Not using the trimmer as an edger, using the trimmer to, well, trim.

Try the search feature for more information on edging technique and equipment used.
kenny.

captken
09-19-2006, 08:42 AM

Your dealer is right. You need a walkbehind edger.

S man
09-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Your dealer is right. You need a walkbehind edger.
Well he shouldn't of sold me this expensive piece of crap then.:dizzy:

Brendan Smith
09-19-2006, 02:17 PM
i have edged stuff with my stick that i should have done with the walk behind and found that as long as the run isn't too far, it is amazing what a stick will do on overgrown stuff.

mbricker
09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
I've always noticed that that any blade edger may leave some strands hanging over the edge, which doesn't look real tidy. My normal practice is to edge with a string trimmer (.105" line) and only use the blade stick edger about every 3rd or 4th time on some lawns with real good grass, and never at all on the majority of my lawns. Also on a new customer's lawn that previous LCO (or homeowner) has not been edging, the stick edger gets a good edge established, which is then maintained with the string trimmer.

I have gotten real good at holding the string trimmer vertical and having firm control to keep it going exactly where it needs to be. But the position has started putting a severe crimp in my shoulder/arm/back the last few years. Might start relying more on the stick edger, at the expense of a few stragglers.

Aonther advantage of using the string trimmer for edging--one trip around the property, instead of a trip carrying the edger, then a trip with the trimmer.

clallen03
09-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Look buddy, I dont know what you are doing with that edger you have but I have a stihl FC75 that my little brother uses when I take him with me and it does a great job on any thing we throw at it. If the edge is overgrown you may have to push it forward the pull it back over the area that has been missed. Once you get the edge established then you can walk with the edger and it will do a great job in one pass. Also be sure tilt he edger in slightly toward the grass.

I really dont think its a problem with the edger. I think its user error. Just keep at it and you'll eventually love it.

Is the edges that you are trying to edge straight? If not you will always have problems.

S man
09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. It does work good on established edges. My dealer can do an adjustment to make it edge better from what he told me.

Clallen, I edge mostly straight walks. And I do love my trimmer for established edges.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-19-2006, 11:04 PM
I almost never use my edger except on new lawns that haven't been edged in a long time. I use my weedeater to trim and edge and find it alot quicker, easier, and it leaves the edge clean without all the build up a stick edger leaves.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Yesterday, I edged a sidewalk and drive on a property that had not been cut in a while. The Grass wil over 5" tall at the concrete edge and overgrown onto the concrete by about 3-4 Inches. It was a little rough getting through it with the stick edger, but for most part, I got it all done with one pass and a few backwards strokes. I love that FC100 Stihl Edger.

S man
09-20-2006, 09:10 PM
The one I have is the straight shaft which is better than a curved so mine should go through anything.

captken
09-20-2006, 09:50 PM
How much more advice do you need?;)

If you haven't learned anything from your post, you never will.:cry:

Go ahead and sell your current setup and buy what you think will work.:walking:

Disregard any asumption that the problem [might be] the [young and dumb] operater. Maybe you should just shut up and listen....:hammerhead:
Just my opinion,:)
kenny.

Petr51488
09-20-2006, 11:08 PM
"Good edging is the key to sucess." Why have it in your signature if you can't edge? LOL

LifeBack Lawns
06-16-2013, 02:15 AM
i have edged stuff with my stick that i should have done with the walk behind and found that as long as the run isn't too far, it is amazing what a stick will do on overgrown stuff.

Nothing a Stick edger and spade or flathead shovel won't fix. It doesn't take that much time for the overgrown creeping stuff either. Hey, more power to ya if you want a walkbehind edger too.

LifeBack Lawns
06-16-2013, 02:24 AM
I have had mine (FC90) for 2 days and not much experience of practice with it, but here are a few pics of before and after and one is just after. I need some practice, but this is what I meant when I said stick and shovel combination.

bare spot
06-16-2013, 11:56 PM
in one of the earlier posts someone mentioned a stihl edger and if i read that right, blades in the shape of a plus sign. did i see that right and anyone know are those type of blades still around? i been using the rectangle ones but if those type are made wonder if there would be any advantage with them. (+ vs l) btw-edging the picture looks great, nicely done, with the curve in the walk and all.

S man
06-17-2013, 12:08 AM
wow........ Old thread dug up. I use a redmax curved shaft edger and get a great edge. The straight shaft one never seemed to work right.