PDA

View Full Version : Who has a full time job and mows "on the side"?

FrankenScagMachines
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
And how the heck do ya handle it??? My accounts number in the upper teens and none take longer than an hour to do. I recently started a full time job workin 40 hrs a week, 7 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday and I can't handle all my lawns. I'd rather be mowing than working there but I just don't have enough accounts right now and I have bills that need to be paid and need winter income as well. I can get through the rest of the mowing season this year and probably scrap by in fall with leaves with lots of help but I'm not sure how i can handle my plowing and next year if i could triple the number of accounts i have i would quit that job in a heartbeat. only been there a week and already can't take being inside a building. its not bad work i don't break a sweat but i do get dirty which i'm accustomed to, but my hearts just not in it. This spring and last winter i worked part time at an auto parts store and that worked ok but the constant standing was hard on my flat feet and it was cutting into my business time so i quit that job. but they would work with me on hours and that was nice. This is a good job i'm at now, all the benefits, health insurance, job security (all our work is government contracts if that tells you anything) like i said i don't break a sweat and don't break my back, the pay is decent, really a good job and good career potential, but my hearts just not in it... For now I have no choice but to stick with it through the winter but i don't know how i can handle the snow removal and keep my job there but i have to have the income. I don't want to lose my business but eliminating debts and keeping bills paid has to come first. If i can at least double my business this next spring i can probably quit that job but i'm so broke i can't afford advertising. If you can't tell i'm bad at managing money and my bad experience with Ferris cost me a few thousand dollars because I had to take a hit on the machien by selling it (too much downtime was costing me money and business, I actually lost a few accounts over it) then getting the Exmark was the best move i made but i lost money on the whole deal and still recouperating from that... I consolidated my trucks and got one real good one to do everything instead of having several older trucks, that was a good move too i feel. I sold off all equipment i didn't absolutely have to have, that was also a good move i feel, for the most part, but i've always been accustomed to giving my business 100% of my attention and now the new job is threatening my business..

So how do you guys do it? Sorry for the long post but its been a while since i checked in with ya'll i'm sure a few have been wondering where i've been...
Please give me some advice how to handle a full time job and keep the business alive.
Thanks!
Eric

LLandscaping
09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
I know at one time you thought about giving up on lawn care. I think you should continue at your job and wait till the Spring to hit lawn care full time. By then you can save some money and get financially able. If you need to hire someone to help you maintain your lawns do so. Great to have you back it will workout sometimes things just take time.

grass disaster
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
move to 2nd shift. work 4 10 hour days have fridays off

start work at 2 that gives you a good 5 hours of solid mowing in the morning.

save friday for a catch-up/relaxing day. save the weekends for family and cleaning equipment.

oh yeah and....it's nice too to go to work at the hottest part of the day to go sit in the air conditioning.:cool2:

FrankenScagMachines
09-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Our work only has that one shift, we only work dayshift only on weekdays.

grass disaster
09-06-2006, 10:52 PM
:) Our work only has that one shift, we only work dayshift only on weekdays.

get a different job then

Oxmow
09-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey Frankenscagmachines...how is it that you only have lawns in the teens, a "fulltime" job but have over 4600 posts? How long ya been mowing?

dwlah
09-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I work the weekend shift Not enough tea in China for me to go back to the
M-F day shift
I work my reg job 2 /3rd shift Fri and Sat and 2nd shift Sun(been doing this shift for 6 years)
That leaves me with M-Th to work with my neighbor and do my lawns

green acres lawns
09-06-2006, 11:09 PM
My full time job is 3:30 till midnight, 5 days a week. My lawn care business (40 properties) is from 9 am till 2:30 pm plus all day sat and 1 pm Sunday till I get done. So that averages about 60 to 80 hours a week. Approximately $10,000.00 a month solo. How do I do it? I'm 62 years old and divorced so I don't have anything better to do. Actually I like to work. I've been working this schedule for 9 years now. I'm already drawing retirement from the Navy, and will retire from Caterpiller in 2 more years. Then I will be full time Lawn Care from April to November and go sit on the beach somewhere from December to March. I will continue my Lawn Care business as long as I'm physically able. I have friends that are in their late 70s that are still mowing part time. (with Craftsman and John-Deere lawn tractors).

WildWest
09-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Bro, i'm in the same boat! I moved from Florida in late Feb. costing me about 10K total. I still had a house there, renting one here. I worked 3rd shift at Disney world and mowed every day after work for about 6-7 hours. All was well, so we thought. We had no family there and decided to move closer to L.A. where I have tons of relatives. Since being here, I've had all sorts of problems and I'm about at the end of my rope! I ain't got a pot to pi$$ in, or a window to throw it out of. NEVER GIVE UP! (But gosh da*n, A nice 2300.00 a month comm. acc't. would sure help!)

timmac
09-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I teach and coach high school football. I have 20 accounts and average about 15 lawns a week. I mow a few during the week after practice and mow alot on sat's. Good money so I can't quit plus i love mowing. I'd quit coaching before I quit mowing. i love it.

cantoo
09-07-2006, 12:12 AM
It's easy Eric, get a girlfriend or a wife that loves to cut grass. I've only cut a few properties this year my wife does everything. She has around 40 regular customers and 5 or 10 once in awhiles. There are a bunch I have never even been on their property before. It works pretty good for me, I just have to keep everything running and tuned up. It's 12:05 here and I just got home from my day job. She can change blades on the Walker herself and we have two identical Ransomes Bobcat 61" ZTRs that I change blades on Sunday for her. If they break down she can grab one of three Steiners to finish the week or until I can fix them. We run a cube van and have a 1 ton truck and more than 15 different trailers as back up. We also have my son's 1/2 ton if we are really stuck or our minivan.
You just gotta find the right girl.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Ive had a full time 40hr job since ive started... im actually leaving that job though this comming March 2007.. I have plenty of business to keep me busy and too much to have to sit at my boring desk job all darn day. I get a descent salary but its gone down the crapper. I manage things well on my own, run my own business, and my own computer consulting business which consists of only me for years now and im making enough from both that i dont need to "waste" 40hrs per week listening to bitching bosses etc. Ive always been a good employee, outgoing, willing to learn, ambitous in many ways... just isnt enough for some jobs.

Its not easy, i cut some lawns after work during the week, and then would try to do 4-5 after each day last year. I realized its a TON better when you do it on the weekdays, everyones at work, parking is easy even in the country ones, no bitching customers ever... i do all my lawns thursday and fridays if needbe.

SLC, LLC
09-07-2006, 12:16 AM
I teach and coach high school football. I have 20 accounts and average about 15 lawns a week. I mow a few during the week after practice and mow alot on sat's. Good money so I can't quit plus i love mowing. I'd quit coaching before I quit mowing. i love it.

Teacher here as well. We have about 160 mowing clients, as well as miscellaneous side jobs. We have become a "one-stop" shop in a lot of regards. Obviously, I do not do all the mowing myself, but it is very time consuming. Teach till 3:00, mowing by 3:30, stop at dark. Paperwork, return phone calls up till 9:00, then hit the emails, then make schedules and send letters, bills, etc., maybe grab a bite to eat, and hit the sack around 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. Back up at 6:30 to do it all over again.

People tell me I'm NUTS!! I tell them it's called LIFE. Work hard or get passed by!!

Timmac - I did quit coaching to continue building the business. I love every minute of this!

scotty2
09-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Hey Frankenscagmachines...how is it that you only have lawns in the teens, a "fulltime" job but have over 4600 posts? How long ya been mowing?

Thats A Good Question????????????????????????

cantoo
09-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Frankenscagmachines is a newbie..

His post count and date of join are incorrect.

:canadaflag: :canadaflag:

grass disaster
09-07-2006, 12:30 AM
It's easy Eric, get a girlfriend or a wife that loves to cut grass. I've only cut a few properties this year my wife does everything. She has around 40 regular customers and 5 or 10 once in awhiles. There are a bunch I have never even been on their property before. It works pretty good for me, I just have to keep everything running and tuned up. It's 12:05 here and I just got home from my day job. She can change blades on the Walker herself and we have two identical Ransomes Bobcat 61" ZTRs that I change blades on Sunday for her. If they break down she can grab one of three Steiners to finish the week or until I can fix them. We run a cube van and have a 1 ton truck and more than 15 different trailers as back up. We also have my son's 1/2 ton if we are really stuck or our minivan.
You just gotta find the right girl.

i hate you :cool2:

Lumberjack
09-07-2006, 12:39 AM
My hearts not always in my regular job but it pays the bills and provides the security and benefits my family needs so it comes first. Assuming your still young and not responsible for anyone besides yourself you can afford to fall on your face, time will allow you to have a bad year or two. I just dont have that luxury untill I retire. If mowing is what you really want then throw yourself into it next year and dont look back.

Envy Lawn Service
09-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Sometimes you've got to just suck it up and make sacrifices.

You're a young man yet... and there is no better time than now to do it.
Do it for a short period while you can and move forward before you get too old to.
Just don't do it so long you run yourself in the ground.
I've made that mistake in another fashion and used myself up to a large extent.

But while I'm at it here, I'm going to say something else too...
Might not sound kind, but I think you need to hear it...
And I'd feel guilty if I didn't say it...

If you can't work 40 hours a week, plus mow 17 lawns, the lawn business is not for you.
I don't care how much you like it... forget it.

You would be better served to tuff it out until you can fufill your contracts and sell your stuff.
This way you could start to devote more time to advancing somewhere in a career for the future.

If you only have 17 accounts and none take more than an hour...
You have from 4pm until dark 5 days a week...
And daylight until dark 2 days per week...

I'm thinking you should be able to get most of them in the evenings after work.
At least until the time changes back.

If I didn't have a lot of respect for you as a hard working young man, I wouldn't even bother saying that.

B&D Lawn Care
09-07-2006, 03:06 AM
I work 3rd (11-7) get off work and put about 4 hard hours a day, about 20 accts. per week. That's about all I want plus it keeps me home on the weekends. If it wasn't for the health insurance I would do it full time.

MOW ED
09-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Hi Eric,
I have been here a while and remember you from way back. Seems that time catches us and things start happening in life. While it isn't fun to be at a job that we truly hate there is some thing to be said for experiencing it. The tough part is the part that only you can answer and that is what do you really want to do with your life.
I can't tell you which way to go but I will give you some of my insight and take it however you want but its just FYI. You have to sit and make a list sort of like you did in the post above. Pros and cons. You have to fit that to this time of your life.
I can tell you without a doubt that it sounds like you have a "very good" job by most peoples accounts. It is very hard to get job security and have benefits like you describe. It is even harder for a young guy to get that and work the day shift. I'm not saying the work is great but the extras that the job brings are very sought after things. You will see that if you ever start a family. Health insurance/day shift/retirement fund might not seem like much but they are very important later on. Is there hope for advancement in the job? Can you take on more responsibility as you get more experience? Not many people start at the top. Can you see yourself as a boss? I know you have drive and motivation.
The lawn care industry is what gave you your start. It is something that can be done wherever you go. You really do have the ability to scale back or to really expand. There are people who make money in the business but there are many who come and go. To make it here you have to adjust your business to the area that you are in. I don't know how many LCO's are legit and making good money where you are but these guys are the models for you to follow if you want to go all the way in. It may be risky but with great risk potentially comes great reward. You have youth on your side. Not saying you will but if you fall you know that you have the ability to regroup and start again.
I like to say that I have two full time jobs. I love firefighting and being a paramedic and I absolutely need to be out doing what i love to do on the lawns. I approach both as full time passions and would be unhappy with only half. No regrets on my side but I just wish I would have known that when I was your age. Good Luck buddy you will make the right choice.

scott's turf
09-07-2006, 07:26 AM
For 5 years now I have been a full time engineer and have 1 full time employee that takes care of all the accounts including my house :) . It is not easy finding a good employee and when you only have one guy they really have you by the balls. I have gotten much better at finding good help. I do pay a lot more than all the surrounding companies but I rather pay a little more and reduce my stress load from unhappy customers. I typically net only around 15k from the lco but it turns out to be great money when you consider how much time I put into it. Can you do the same thing possibly? Good luck.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-07-2006, 07:56 AM
I too am a fulltime firefighter/Paramedic and work 24/48.... I love both jobs......I manage 15-18 props per week. I also have a 4 and a 6 year old that are my most important job.

My fall schedule is as follows......I mow on Tues, Wed, and Thurs, which ever of the 2 I do not work at the firehouse that week. My kids jump on the bus at 8:30am....I dash out and mow 4-5 by lunch when my 4 year old comes home. Then I either wait until my wife gets home from work or my mom helps me out with the kids to finish the day's lawns. I look forward to the day when my kids can help me if they want too....

Scheduling can be a headache at times......but the money is great. I have put all my profits this summer to paying off my wifes van.... By November I will have paid off a $15,000 dollar van loan since April.....I love progress...... I also was able to buy a new truck, plow and salt spreader.......It has been a great summer.....

Hang in there

D

Oh and FrankenScagmachines has been here a long time.......since before me...

tat900
09-07-2006, 08:48 AM
i work for the state from 6 am -2 pm and cut 3-4 days a week from 230-830pm i have roughly 25 accounts this year i cut back from 39 accounts last year i keep sayin im goin mowing full time but maybe one day i like my job security and health insurance plus i dont do fall cleanups or leaves at all so i still get to bring home a pay check in the winter

craigs lawncare
09-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Teacher here as well. We have about 160 mowing clients, as well as miscellaneous side jobs. We have become a "one-stop" shop in a lot of regards. Obviously, I do not do all the mowing myself, but it is very time consuming. Teach till 3:00, mowing by 3:30, stop at dark. Paperwork, return phone calls up till 9:00, then hit the emails, then make schedules and send letters, bills, etc., maybe grab a bite to eat, and hit the sack around 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. Back up at 6:30 to do it all over again.

People tell me I'm NUTS!! I tell them it's called LIFE. Work hard or get passed by!!

Timmac - I did quit coaching to continue building the business. I love every minute of this!

I say you are completely nuts!!!
You think you are smart don't you!!! You are completely selfish if you ask me.
Are you just in the class room for the benefits???
What do you teach... lawn mowing???
You must work at a government school.
I can most definitely tell you, I would NOT want you teaching my kids.
You should put your own selfish ambitions aside and get a job where your lack of sleep does not affect someone else's life. Mainly a young child!!!

Craig

craigs lawncare
09-07-2006, 01:19 PM
i work for the state from 6 am -2 pm and cut 3-4 days a week from 230-830pm i have roughly 25 accounts this year i cut back from 39 accounts last year i keep sayin im goin mowing full time but maybe one day i like my job security and health insurance plus i dont do fall cleanups or leaves at all so i still get to bring home a pay check in the winter

Is this why it takes so long at the DMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy: :dizzy:

J&R Landscaping
09-07-2006, 01:30 PM
I work full time M-F 8am till 5-6pm and on Sat from 8am till noon. I do get 1 day off during the week if we are not that busy. I just work in the evenings and on the weekends to get my accounts serviced. I have an ad running for fall jobs and I am trying hard to get enough work to do this full time next year so I can give up my current full time job. BTW, do like my full time job as I get good discounts on stuff and alot of it does come in handy. I just would rather be out using the equipment then in the shop fixing it. (I work at a mower shop)

lawnworker
09-07-2006, 02:00 PM
My full time job is 3:30 till midnight, 5 days a week. My lawn care business (40 properties) is from 9 am till 2:30 pm plus all day sat and 1 pm Sunday till I get done. So that averages about 60 to 80 hours a week. Approximately $10,000.00 a month solo. How do I do it? I'm 62 years old and divorced so I don't have anything better to do. Actually I like to work. I've been working this schedule for 9 years now. I'm already drawing retirement from the Navy, and will retire from Caterpiller in 2 more years. Then I will be full time Lawn Care from April to November and go sit on the beach somewhere from December to March. I will continue my Lawn Care business as long as I'm physically able. I have friends that are in their late 70s that are still mowing part time. (with Craftsman and John-Deere lawn tractors).

How do you bill out 10,000 a month in mowing on the side? This sounds high to me, factering in rain, draughts, and driving time.

craigs lawncare
09-07-2006, 02:15 PM
How do you bill out 10,000 a month in mowing on the side? This sounds high to me, factering in rain, draughts, and driving time.

;)

Craig

craigs lawncare
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
How in the heck do you guys do it!?! Some of you guys are getting four or five hours sleep and then going to your full time jobs to basically rest for your next round of lawn mowing!
There is no way I could do that over the course of an entire summer. Just no way!! Have you guys ever heard of job safety???
Then, I noticed a teacher was doing this! What is even worse is the fact that, judging from his post, he thinks this is smart! Good grief!!! A lot of what some of you guys are doing affects other peopleís lives. It is nice to go out and make a few bucks on the side, but when it starts affecting peopleís everyday lives and safety, that is just over the top.
Lawn mowing is physical demanding work. It takes a lot out of you.
A few years ago I inherited 6 lawns from my father who retired. So I had a total of 14 lawns with my 40 hour per week job. I can remember times when I was nodding off on the mower!!
I work an 8-4:30pm office job and now only mow 8 accounts. Each job averages about 1 hour to mow. In the spring, when I am mowing each account two or sometimes three times per week, it is all I can do to keep up with it.
I have a family of four to keep up with as well. A son who is very active in sports. I donít want to miss a bit of his activities.
I like my 40 hour per week job to much too even think about quitting. So something had to give. I used the good ole raised price method to eliminate the cheapskates.
I raised my prices 25% the following summer. Of course I lost almost half of my accounts. But now I make darn near as much and mow less. I also have more time with my family and can actually spend more time servicing my accounts the way they should be serviced. In fact, when I figure in all of the money I get for other maintenance I was neglecting, I now make more money on fewer accounts.
If I were in many of your shoes, I would just raise your prices some. Sure you may loose a few accounts, but there is a good likely hood that you will be mowing less but making just as much in the long run.

Craig

JB1
09-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Now let the firework begin. :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

lawnworker
09-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Eric, you need to decide. If you can make it through this year with the new job and all the lawns, do that. Next spring, cut the job loose and go for broke with mowing, if that's what you want. You can make it, if you want to do this.

If I was younger and had a killer job, I would not even think about the lawn Industry. although it is a pretty cool field to be in, considering alternatives that are out there, but it has many drawbacks, which you know, competition,droughts, heat, Mexicans, low life low ballers, etc, that factor into many markets.

If you Job is really not that great, Go for it.:weightlifter: Good luck to you.

Jpocket
09-07-2006, 08:14 PM
And how the heck do ya handle it??? My accounts number in the upper teens and none take longer than an hour to do. I recently started a full time job workin 40 hrs a week, 7 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday and I can't handle all my lawns. I'd rather be mowing than working there but I just don't have enough accounts right now and I have bills that need to be paid and need winter income as well. I can get through the rest of the mowing season this year and probably scrap by in fall with leaves with lots of help but I'm not sure how i can handle my plowing and next year if i could triple the number of accounts i have i would quit that job in a heartbeat. only been there a week and already can't take being inside a building. its not bad work i don't break a sweat but i do get dirty which i'm accustomed to, but my hearts just not in it. This spring and last winter i worked part time at an auto parts store and that worked ok but the constant standing was hard on my flat feet and it was cutting into my business time so i quit that job. but they would work with me on hours and that was nice. This is a good job i'm at now, all the benefits, health insurance, job security (all our work is government contracts if that tells you anything) like i said i don't break a sweat and don't break my back, the pay is decent, really a good job and good career potential, but my hearts just not in it... For now I have no choice but to stick with it through the winter but i don't know how i can handle the snow removal and keep my job there but i have to have the income. I don't want to lose my business but eliminating debts and keeping bills paid has to come first. If i can at least double my business this next spring i can probably quit that job but i'm so broke i can't afford advertising. If you can't tell i'm bad at managing money and my bad experience with Ferris cost me a few thousand dollars because I had to take a hit on the machien by selling it (too much downtime was costing me money and business, I actually lost a few accounts over it) then getting the Exmark was the best move i made but i lost money on the whole deal and still recouperating from that... I consolidated my trucks and got one real good one to do everything instead of having several older trucks, that was a good move too i feel. I sold off all equipment i didn't absolutely have to have, that was also a good move i feel, for the most part, but i've always been accustomed to giving my business 100% of my attention and now the new job is threatening my business..

So how do you guys do it? Sorry for the long post but its been a while since i checked in with ya'll i'm sure a few have been wondering where i've been...
Please give me some advice how to handle a full time job and keep the business alive.
Thanks!
Eric

Yea buddy I was wonderin just the other day when I was on here how you were making out. I think you should've just stayed in business full time & I HOPE YOU DIDN"T SELL THAT OLD C-60 CHEVY!

mrusk
09-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Maybe you shouldn't of blew all your money on hop ups for your truck!!!

jrs mowing
09-07-2006, 09:20 PM
:usflag: I have been mowing for the past 20 yrs. started out with 5 yards plus the last 19 yrs. have a full time job plus 3 yrs. ago I bid on 9 Cemetarys and got them two of the Cemies. are 6 hr. on one 3 hrs. on the other and the rest of them are small. plus I now have 8 yards to mow on top of that.
I would like to work one more yr. then go full time mowing....

It is a lot of work in the summer but I love to mow and be outside....

green acres lawns
09-07-2006, 09:35 PM
By averaging $350/day (about 6 hours/day). By having 50% commercial contracts that have irrigation systems. By having lights on the mowers so I can mow all night if I need to. (Industrial parks don't care when you mow as long as it looks good). 90% of my accounts are within 6 miles of my house, so if you route them correctly, you don't spend much time driving. Normally rain don't stop me either. I have an enclosed trailer, so I'm back on the mower as soon as it lets up. I don't mow in thunder storms anymore since I shorted out the voltage regulator on the John Deere. And by selling grass seed and fertilizer to my customers, with a healthy markup. Learned that from the Cat dealer I work for.

MOturkey
09-07-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm 55, work a wholesale milk route 50+ hours a week, and mow 10 to 12 hours a week, on average. And, yes, my butt is dragging the ground most of the time. :)

cantoo
09-08-2006, 12:08 AM
craig, some of us only need 5 or 6 hrs of sleep per night. Anymore and I feel like crap. I guess it also depends on how much physical work you do too. Sitting on a ZTR all day can be relaxing. Now if you run WBH's and do a lot of string trimming then of course you are going to be more rundown. Do you know any long haul truck drivers?

tat900
09-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Is this why it takes so long at the DMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy: :dizzy:

i set up new subdivisions and price the lots for the taxes so no i dont work at the dmv i just figure taxes

hoskm01
09-08-2006, 10:25 AM
i set up new subdivisions and price the lots for the taxes so no i dont work at the dmv i just figure taxes

So you are one of THOSE guys.

SLC, LLC
09-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I say you are completely nuts!!!
You think you are smart don't you!!! You are completely selfish if you ask me.
Are you just in the class room for the benefits???
What do you teach... lawn mowing???
You must work at a government school.
I can most definitely tell you, I would NOT want you teaching my kids.
You should put your own selfish ambitions aside and get a job where your lack of sleep does not affect someone else's life. Mainly a young child!!!

Craig

Was also just named "Teacher of the Year" last year as well. Some of us have the ability to perform usccessfully in an array of occupations. But thank you for commenting.

ED'S LAWNCARE
09-08-2006, 12:41 PM
I have a full time job (factory supervisor) work 14 12 hr shifts per month. The rest of the time off. The days are rotating on a bi-week schedule. so if I mow mon and tues this week, next week I mow wed and thurs. During the summer it can be a pain with the kids out of school and doing stuff with the family, but the rest of the year it's cake.

tat900
09-08-2006, 01:11 PM
So you are one of THOSE guys.

yes i am but dont hate me i pay the same amount of taxes asanyone but i do get good insight to new subs that are being built

craigs lawncare
09-08-2006, 01:19 PM
yes i am but dont hate me i pay the same amount of taxes asanyone but i do get good insight to new subs that are being built

Hmmm... I see a definite conflict of interest with my tax dollars. :dizzy:
Is this part of the reason why our taxes are so high???!!!

Craig

craigs lawncare
09-08-2006, 01:32 PM
First off, let me just say that I think a lot of what has been said in this thread is garbage. Including this post.

Was also just named "Teacher of the Year" last year as well. Some of us have the ability to perform usccessfully in an array of occupations. But thank you for commenting.

Of course I could tell you anything as well. Teacher of the year sounds good though. :)

Yes, some people do only need 5 hours of sleep per night for a short time. I could do it for a week or two. But over the course of a mowing season? No way.
Secondly, the gentleman who is a teacher only gets about 3 and 1/2 hours of sleep per night. Now, I am sorry, but this person can not tell me he is giving an honest effort to his students in the class room on three or even four hours of sleep every night.

Teacher here as well. We have about 160 mowing clients, as well as miscellaneous side jobs. Öbut it is very time consuming. Teach till 3:00, mowing by 3:30, stop at dark. Paperwork, return phone calls up till 9:00, then hit the emails, then make schedules and send letters, bills, etc., maybe grab a bite to eat, and hit the sack around 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. Back up at 6:30 to do it all over again.

I know a few long haul truck drivers. Truck drivers have rules that they are supposed to follow which forces them to get some sleep through out their haul. These rules are set to protect you and me from people who put the issue of safety in the back seat.

corey1977
09-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I work 40 hours a week for a city mowing cemeteries and mow 10 lawns on the side works great 7-3:30 mon - fri have weekend off if I need to check up because of rain

SLC, LLC
09-08-2006, 11:11 PM
First off, let me just say that I think a lot of what has been said in this thread is garbage. Including this post.

Of course I could tell you anything as well. Teacher of the year sounds good though. :)

Yes, some people do only need 5 hours of sleep per night for a short time. I could do it for a week or two. But over the course of a mowing season? No way.
Secondly, the gentleman who is a teacher only gets about 3 and 1/2 hours of sleep per night. Now, I am sorry, but this person can not tell me he is giving an honest effort to his students in the class room on three or even four hours of sleep every night.

I know a few long haul truck drivers. Truck drivers have rules that they are supposed to follow which forces them to get some sleep through out their haul. These rules are set to protect you and me from people who put the issue of safety in the back seat.

There is one thing that you seem like you have not figured out yet - it's called "LIFE." Work hard or get left behind. If you can't hack the hours me or my employees put in, that is fine. But do not get beligerant with me because I have ambition and a drive in life. Any other comments you would like to deliver, send them directly to my inbox. I will be sure to check them right away and file them in the "Trash" bin.

craigs lawncare
09-08-2006, 11:36 PM
There is one thing that you seem like you have not figured out yet - it's called "LIFE." Work hard or get left behind. If you can't hack the hours me or my employees put in, that is fine. But do not get beligerant with me because I have ambition and a drive in life. Any other comments you would like to deliver, send them directly to my inbox. I will be sure to check them right away and file them in the "Trash" bin.

No, I get it completely.
You see, I hold a 40 hour per week job and mow on the side as well. The difference is, my mowing does not get in the way of my 40 hour per week job.
What you seem to not understand is that your greed and need to "climb the ladder" is undoubtedly short changing your students.
You said you get 4 hours of sleep per night. I am sorry, but I am not buying your "teacher of the year" status when you are getting four hours of sleep every night. I know three teachers. All of them spend a considerable amount of time in the evening grading papers, developing assignments for the next day.
Do the parents of your students know you are getting 4 hours of sleep per night??
I would be livid.

Craig

captken
09-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Period. I have 4 employees now, my payroll exceed what I used to make when I was starting out.
I have basically the same equipment as when I started...a Hustler Z, well maintained and almost "Vintage" along with my Hustler 37" walk...with some new stuff and a nice F-350 Powerstroke to haul the stuff behind.

I have gained more than a few pounds, watching my guys do most of the work.
I am, and will always be full time.

newbomb
09-09-2006, 08:02 AM
If you have to do both the secret is time management. First get a work schedule you can mow on the side with. Then, take on mowing work that is simple and straight forward. I love town houses for this reason. They are easy and pay well and I don't mind doing them. Also dont overload your schedule. If you burn out you will quit.

David W
09-09-2006, 08:47 PM
I work my 40 hour a week job Monday - Thursday, 7am to 6pm. Leaving me off Friday and Saturday to do my 10-13 jobs per week. NO WORK on Sunday as that is my golden rule. YOU have to have time for church and family guys or all that money you make no mean anything.

Oh and did I mention my company I work my 40 for sits on 75 acres of which me and another co-worker manage and keep like a park. So my day starts at 5:30 and ends when the sun isn't shining Monday - Thursday night. Then on Friday I do all my jobs + any landscape work. I usually finish the day out at my home and a couple of neighbors. Saturday is all day on the 75 acres once again or any leftover landscape work.

But boy do I love it. Looking forward to the cooler temp's in Southern Indiana and the EXPO in October. Than it's b-ball on Friday mornings and grocery shopping. Wow. Very exciting I know.

Take care stay safe.

scott's turf
09-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Man all you guys need to work smarter not harder. Become business men and hire some help to make money for you.

David W
09-11-2006, 08:46 AM
I tried that. But haven't found anyone or can mow as straight or weed eat worth anything.

Quality before quanity!!! Then again I'm not doing this full time either.

yrdandgardenhandyman
09-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I work 3rd (11-7) get off work and put about 4 hard hours a day, about 20 accts. per week. That's about all I want plus it keeps me home on the weekends. If it wasn't for the health insurance I would do it full time.

Di-i-itto! Good argument for national health care. I don't have the answer as to how to make it successful but that's what we pay taxes for. We tell the gov't what we need, and they supply it. It's their responsibility to make it work.

Partsguru1
09-11-2006, 01:28 PM
"Di-i-itto! Good argument for national health care. I don't have the answer as to how to make it successful but that's what we pay taxes for. We tell the gov't what we need, and they supply it. It's their responsibility to make it work."

Oh man, you have got to be kidding! I can see wanna be President Hillary giving you a big round of applause.

If you think govt health care is so great, move to Canada.

Doug

yrdandgardenhandyman
09-11-2006, 02:59 PM
"Di-i-itto! Good argument for national health care. I don't have the answer as to how to make it successful but that's what we pay taxes for. We tell the gov't what we need, and they supply it. It's their responsibility to make it work."

Oh man, you have got to be kidding! I can see wanna be President Hillary giving you a big round of applause.

If you think govt health care is so great, move to Canada.

Doug

I also said that it is the governments' responsibility to make it work. That means efficiently.

JB1
09-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I also said that it is the governments' responsibility to make it work. That means efficiently.

That has to be the funniest statement ever, show me anything in the government thats efficient.