PDA

View Full Version : Deck bottoms out on ramp!?!?

BigLag
09-06-2006, 11:06 PM
ZTR bottoms out sometimes on ramp of trailer. I cannot figure out why. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It seems like I have to go up at a slight angle for it not to bottom out and that still does not work all the time. Could this be hurting my deck. Any suggestions????

TLS
09-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Yes, it can damage your mower. Especially if your spindle bolts are what's dragging.

Buy a 6' long 2x12 and screw it to your trailer deck about 1-2' (depending on mower) in from your gate hinge.

General Landscaping
09-06-2006, 11:19 PM
On my open trailer; I cut and re-welded the ramp so there is a bend in the middle. Instead of going over 1 large angle, you go over 2 smaller ones.

dKoester
09-06-2006, 11:23 PM
I have the rapid height system on my mowers. It eliminates bottoming out.

Frontier-Lawn
09-06-2006, 11:25 PM
if you extend the gate it will have a less step angle to go up.

grass disaster
09-06-2006, 11:30 PM
try raising the ball on your trailer

Turf Dawg
09-06-2006, 11:36 PM
just raise your ball higher. if it is on a drophitch you can turn the hitch upsidedown. just 1 or 2 inches schould lower the back of trailer enough.

Runner
09-06-2006, 11:50 PM
But just don't do it to the extent that the trailer is riding improperly. Keep your trailer level. On one of mine, I built some small wooden ramps with a step for the gate to rest on. I've been meaning to extend it, but haven't done so, yet.

TLS
09-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Big Lag....what brand mower?

BigLag
09-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Hustler Mini Fastrak 16 42

ed2150
09-07-2006, 12:32 AM
It's probably your spindle bolts that are catching....the reason it sometimes does it and sometimes not is because of how you park.

When you park on sloped or uneven ground the tailgate angle can change; when it's steeper that's when you have dragging problems. Most of the time you can keep it from happening by paying attention to where and how you park.

BigLag
09-07-2006, 12:42 AM
ED, I thought about that but, Even when on my driveway, I'll pull mower off, no bottom out, pull back on and bottom out without moving trailer on even ground.

Frontier-Lawn
09-07-2006, 12:50 AM
this would solve the problem perhaps http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAINLESS-STEEL-3-DROP-BALL-MOUNT-W-LOCK-FORD-F150-250_W0QQitemZ220023678134QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33653QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
flip it to raise 3" in the front

BigLag
09-07-2006, 12:54 AM
That is probably going to be the first thing I try in the morning. I have a 2" drop on my reciever now, so flipping it will be a difference of 4", which should do the trick.

mark12
09-07-2006, 02:13 AM
I had the same problem....flipped my reciever and that did it.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-07-2006, 07:26 AM
I have a Carry-On trailer and they put the hinges for the rear gate at the top of the trailer deck. They sit up a little higher then the wooden deck and cause the mower to drag . I took the rear gate off and repostioned the hinges and it took care of my problem.

wayne

TLS
09-07-2006, 08:12 AM
ED, I thought about that but, Even when on my driveway, I'll pull mower off, no bottom out, pull back on and bottom out without moving trailer on even ground.

Thats opposite of what it should be. :confused:

Backing will lengthen your ZTR's wheelbase.

Pulling forward will shorten it.

You should be scraping when you back off.

Flipping your ball mount will make your trailer at an unsafe angle.

Instead, look for a slightly less dropped hitch. Even a more robust ball will raise you 1". Tire pressure in your truck's tires can help. Torsion bar adjustment as well (GM/some Ford, etc).

But make sure your at your full height with your deck. Keep your foot pressed hard on your foot lift.

The 2x12 trick DOES work....

2 clowns mowing
09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
i extended my ramp 24 inches. a bit heavy but i'm using those gorilla ramp springs. the bottom of my walker mower would catch the rear c-channel.

Pro-Scapes
09-07-2006, 08:46 AM
we extended our gate 14 inches and put a gorrila lift on it.

Some other options

Boards like someone stated to get the casters to raise up before the deck bottoms out.

Raise your ball a tad but like Joe said make sure your not at some stupid angle.

Put lower profile tires on the trailer (maybe good idea if you need them anyways!)

If the axle is mounted below the springs move to the top of the springs to lower the trailer.

DAV Mowers
09-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I had the same problem with my Huster Fastrack.

It's simple to fix. Step on the mower deck lift pedal and push it all the way in and hold it there with your foot while going up the ramp. That will give you another 1/2 inch and it clears the ramp edge.

ed2150
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
On my trailer the welded-on hinges stick up just a bit, it's possible you could be hanging up on those if yours is the same way. That would explain why it sometimes catches and sometimes doesn't depending on whether a blade bolt is lined up with a hinge.

Like DAV said, depress the deck lift pedal with your foot for that little bit of extra lift when you drive on and off, that may well solve your problem.

Runner
09-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh man.....I forgot. This has came up before, and someone came up with a SIMPLE idea that was practically genius sonce it was so simple. Here's what you do:
Watch and mark where your front wheel are when backing down - at the point that it hangs up. At this point, you cut and put a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 across the floor of the trailer. This raises the wheels up and keeps the deck from dragging. Now, if it drags going up also, a 2x6 or 2x8 may be more suitable (to accomodate the difference in wheelbase at the point of drag). I've heard of some people using even thicker pieces of wood (or x2 and x1 stacked), and planing the edges a bit to make them rounder. This remedy is so cheap, so easy, and so effective, how can you go wrong.

ChadsLawn
09-07-2006, 01:30 PM
or you could just use your trailor jack to lift the front a couple inches. Takes maybe 30 seconds? oh and its FREE!!!!!!!

BigLag
09-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Lots of great ideas. I went with putting a 2x12 on the deck of the trailer to boost the caster wheels a bit higher. I still have to keep the foot petal depressed, but it doesn't bottom out anymore and it doubles up as a wheel chock when parked...thanks a million.

corey1977
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
a nother option get a taller hitch so the trailer front sits higher so there would less of a angle

ChadsLawn
09-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey BigLad back that mower on.... I bet it wont hit anymore....

TLS
09-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Oh man.....I forgot. This has came up before, and someone came up with a SIMPLE idea that was practically genius sonce it was so simple. Here's what you do:
Watch and mark where your front wheel are when backing down - at the point that it hangs up. At this point, you cut and put a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 across the floor of the trailer. This raises the wheels up and keeps the deck from dragging. Now, if it drags going up also, a 2x6 or 2x8 may be more suitable (to accomodate the difference in wheelbase at the point of drag). I've heard of some people using even thicker pieces of wood (or x2 and x1 stacked), and planing the edges a bit to make them rounder. This remedy is so cheap, so easy, and so effective, how can you go wrong.

Runner, read a few posts up, I said the exact same thing. I'll give you the nod in that your description is much better worded.

BigLag,

I see you have a single axle trailer....go ahead and raise the hitch if you want. I just assumed you had a tandem.

Lots of rear overhang on that Hustler seems odd looking. :confused:

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
09-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey guys and gals. I thought that I was one of a very few having this problem. I first thought that it was a sub-Premium trailer builder. Nice to see there are plenty of you having the same problem. I only have this problem if my rear truck tires are lower than the tires on my trailer. ie: unleavel ground. I never thought about using a piece of wood inside the trailer. I just took some old travel trailer leveling ideas. I took two 2x6 boards about 18" long and stacked them and nailed them together and if i find that i am parking on an uneven area, i put them under the rear tires of my truck and pull on up on them and they give me the necessary angle to depart with out damaging my spindles.

Tharrell
09-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Most trailers come with a 4 ft gate in the rear and depending on your ball height, it's easy to bottom out. I had that problem with my previous trailer and had them add 12" to it. My new trailer is dovetailed and the 4 ft gate is perfect. By the way, anyone considering a side gate should know, you just about have to have a 5 ft gate on the side.

TLS
09-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Side gates don't matter. WB's are exempt from bottoming out!

Runner
09-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Runner, read a few posts up, I said the exact same thing. I'll give you the nod in that your description is much better worded.

Woooops! :dancing: :)

lawncuttinfoo
09-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Why 5 foot side gate? when properly parked the sidegate will rest on the curb giving you additional inches, so actually the side gate can be shorter than the back.

or you could just use your trailor jack to lift the front a couple inches. Takes maybe 30 seconds? oh and its FREE!!!!!!!

The only way to do that is to unhook the trailer from the ball, if you do that and back the mower off, the front of the trailer will go into the air because of the weight of the mower on the back. That is unless your trailer is misballanced (too heavy in the front) and in that case you have bigger problems anyway.