PDA

View Full Version : 3500 van to tow a skidsteer??

turboawd
09-06-2006, 11:07 PM
would it be dumb to tow a skidsteer with a new gmc/chevy 3500 van? :dizzy:
they're rated for 10,000 lbs towing(gas engine).

DBL
09-06-2006, 11:20 PM
ive seen it now not the largest skid but i believe it was a case 1840 also ive seen the pull car trailers dump trailers so i think you should be fine put a brake box in and go

Gravel Rat
09-06-2006, 11:36 PM
If you are talking about a single rear wheel panel van I don't think pulling a trailer is a good idea. Panel vans never pull a trailer very well if your truck is a cube van its a little better but still not that great.

turboawd
09-06-2006, 11:42 PM
If you are talking about a single rear wheel panel van I don't think pulling a trailer is a good idea. Panel vans never pull a trailer very well if your truck is a cube van its a little better but still not that great.
why do you say that?
i assume when you say "panel", that you mean a cargo van?? yes, i'm looking into a cargo van, no box body.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2006, 11:56 PM
The reason vans don't pull that well because they have so much overhang if you get a extended van forget it because its worse.

I looked up the engine choice you only have the 6.0 gas 300hp at 4400 rpm and 360 ftlbs at 4000 rpm talk about screaming you have to have your foot to the floor.

Not a wise move to try pull heavy trailers with a small engine its already labouring because its carrying a heavy van.

AintNoFun
09-07-2006, 08:12 AM
our local rental yard uses nothing but vans to deliver all their equipment, idk how they work out for them but they are a pretty big company and they've been using them for years so im assuming they dont have problems...

Triple L
09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
ONLY 300 hp, I've used my 6 banger to pull smaller skid steers. So what, you can't get to 60 in 20 seconds.

Ron's Lawncare
09-07-2006, 01:11 PM
The reason vans don't pull that well because they have so much overhang if you get a extended van forget it because its worse.

I looked up the engine choice you only have the 6.0 gas 300hp at 4400 rpm and 360 ftlbs at 4000 rpm talk about screaming you have to have your foot to the floor.

Not a wise move to try pull heavy trailers with a small engine its already labouring because its carrying a heavy van.

What's wrong with the 6.0 GM puts them in their one ton cab and chassis. there not Duramax's by any means but i've towed a 7k lb Excavator with out any trouble.

DodgeTruckMan731
09-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Ive seen plumbing company's pulling around mini ex's with van around here you should be fine.

Dirty Water
09-07-2006, 09:42 PM
One of our rigs is a dualy 3500 van with an ambulance style body. We tow 6-8k machines with it all the time.

Gravel Rat
09-07-2006, 11:59 PM
A dually van is a completely different rig. I have never seen a cargo van pull a heavy trailer properly. We have a few people pull trailers with vans and its almost like the front wheels are going to lift off the ground.

With E-350 Cube vans like electricians use a cuttaway chassis the DOT won't let them on the road anymore because with the van body they are close to being overloaded. The electrical contractors used to run cargo vans mainly HD 3/4 tons but they were so grossly overloaded they used to have axle problems and busted springs.

Looked up a hitch for a 1 ton GMC Van the heaviest receiver hitch I could find would be a Hidden hitch its only rated at gross trailer weight of 10,000lbs with WD bars and with out bars its 6000lbs. The 10,000lb rating only has a 1000lb hitch weight so your trailer you pull will have to be loaded evenly.

Its up to you and what ever the local DOT man thinks is correct you better check with your local DMV to see if its legal for what you want to do.

Ron's Lawncare
09-08-2006, 11:01 AM
A dually van is a completely different rig. I have never seen a cargo van pull a heavy trailer properly. We have a few people pull trailers with vans and its almost like the front wheels are going to lift off the ground.

With E-350 Cube vans like electricians use a cuttaway chassis the DOT won't let them on the road anymore because with the van body they are close to being overloaded. The electrical contractors used to run cargo vans mainly HD 3/4 tons but they were so grossly overloaded they used to have axle problems and busted springs.

Looked up a hitch for a 1 ton GMC Van the heaviest receiver hitch I could find would be a Hidden hitch its only rated at gross trailer weight of 10,000lbs with WD bars and with out bars its 6000lbs. The 10,000lb rating only has a 1000lb hitch weight so your trailer you pull will have to be loaded evenly.

Its up to you and what ever the local DOT man thinks is correct you better check with your local DMV to see if its legal for what you want to do.

a gmc 3/4 ton extended cab PU with the 6.0 has a max trailer weight rating of 10,000 lbs and that is with load distributing hitch.

grassmanvt
09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I've pulled 13k plus in my 1-ton with the 6.0. Not a racer but adequate. Power shouold be fine, just make sure you have trailer brakes. Depends on the size of your skid of course but use common sense and it'll be just fine. Don't mind GR, he never agrees with anyone:laugh:

exmark72
09-08-2006, 06:40 PM
it can be done my dads company has an e350 desial van that they load with plumbing gear and fittings and then tows around 2 4000lb lifts on a trailer that weighs about 1700lbs they also put a mini ex and tractor w/ bucket and yardrake on there, not that the same time but, they use wd bars so.......... it can be done and it handles and rides beutyfullly and level.............

Splicer
09-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a e350 w/aerial lift installed and STILL tow anything I want with the pintle hitch...and it is a single...pulls just fine...yes even skidsteer trailers...

YardPro
09-09-2006, 06:19 PM
gravel rat is SOOOOOO off base on this one....

you will have NO problem pulling the skidsteer with the 1 ton van. We tow a skid steer ( and comparible) loads with a 3/4 ton truck with NO problems whatsoever.

most of the guys around here use 3/4 tons to pull thier equipment. so a one ton will have no problems....
as for the too much tail overhand... that is only an issue if you have the extended body.

the vans weigh about the same as thier truck counterpart, and they have the same frame and load capacities. So why then are the vans so poor ar huualing???

Gravel Rat
09-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I guess your DOT isn't that bad where you live but they are always on the hunt for overloaded vans. Like I said E-350 Cube vans are always on their hit list because they know 99% of the time they are overloaded.

Also you guys probably don't have any hills most likely don't even know what a steep hill looks like. I sure wouldn't want to be pulling a heavy trailer with a 6.0 engine in a Van or a P/U truck.

A one ton and 3/4 ton van has no real differences except for the rear springs might be a little heavier. It still has single rear wheels and the same sized brakes.

Hey if you guys recomend towing with the van go for it but if the guy gets stopped by the DOT and gets put through the ringer for being overloaded I guess we know who to blame.

grassmanvt
09-09-2006, 06:31 PM
I guess your DOT isn't that bad where you live but they are always on the hunt for overloaded vans. Like I said E-350 Cube vans are always on their hit list because they know 99% of the time they are overloaded.

Also you guys probably don't have any hills most likely don't even know what a steep hill looks like. I sure wouldn't want to be pulling a heavy trailer with a 6.0 engine in a Van or a P/U truck.

A one ton and 3/4 ton van has no real differences except for the rear springs might be a little heavier. It still has single rear wheels and the same sized brakes.

Hey if you guys recomend towing with the van go for it but if the guy gets stopped by the DOT and gets put through the ringer for being overloaded I guess we know who to blame.

Yeah, we don't have any hills in Vt., the only place in north america with hills is B.C. Register for your combined weight, use trailer brakes and tow that thing.

Splicer
09-09-2006, 06:35 PM
My E350 is licensed to 14,000lbs...I have a 5.8 motor...Where I live in Ohio is VERY hilly...Yes parts are very steep...A cube van is NOT the same as a van...BIG difference in weight distribution ratios...

Gravel Rat
09-09-2006, 08:09 PM
If you live on the West side of the Rockies you get used to steep hills where decending 10% grades is a cake walk.

Hills are 4 to 6% grades anything less is speed bumps. Trying to pull any heavy loads with a small block is over working the engine.

YardPro
09-09-2006, 09:34 PM
here we go again..

gravel.. before you go spouting off take into consideration that, as you have said here SOOOOO many times YOU have steep grades.. others may not..
MOst people asking for advise are in areas werer we are not pulling trailers up Mt. Everest. So something less that the 50,000gvw monster trucks are fine for daily work activities.....

also as for dot and being overweight..... the gvw on a one ton van is 14,000 lbs... you are saying that most all vans are carrying around an extra 5K of crap in them????

why would they be overloaded? what would make you think that?
i NEVER see vand getting weight tickets......

also a lot of states don't ticket unless you are over what your vehicle is TAGGED FOR......regardless of manufacturers GVW......

out 3/4 ton is liscensed for 21K....

Gravel Rat
09-10-2006, 12:18 AM
If you register a van with a gvw heavier than 12,000lbs then you have to register it as a legal trucking company. If you license it as a personal vehical and you use it for work your insurance is null and void you get in a accident you pay for every ounce of damages.

Chevy doesn't say what the Van can gross combine legally all it says you can pull 10,000lbs with WD bars. It doesn't say what the Van's empty tare weight.

In my area you never ever see a contractor pulling a heavy trailer behind a van behind a P/U but never behind a van.

Oh well not my problem people around this area are not dumb enough to try pull a 10,000lb trailer with a cargo van. Cargo vans are for carrying your tools or freight not for a tow vehical.

Mr.Mow-It-All
09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Two summers ago, I took a my 20 foot landscaping trailer full of kids luggage to a camp (at least 7000#) 6 hours away with the last 45 miles in the mountains pulled with a new GMC 1 ton passenger van loaded with 12 people and the trailer with the 6.0 engine and was very impressed with how well it did. On the highway I crused around 65-70 mph no problem. We were loaded to the gills.

Splicer
09-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Just saw a 1 ton van loaded with trailer AND skidsteer today coming back from a job...

And in GR's defense...he IS from Canada eh? They have different rules up there...