PDA

View Full Version : How much are you paying to have the grass cut?

virginia
09-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I am getting quote to have my grass cut. Got a flyer and called the lco. It's a 5000 sq. feet flat rectangular lot, no fence and no side walk.

I am prepared to pay $35-40. Is that a fair price? The lco came by today and quoted me $50. I think that's a little high but he said that's the price for end of the season because it probably only need to be cut every 2 weeks. I told him I will think about it and he asked if I think that's too high. He said next Spring he can give me a price break once we need to cut weekly.

Is that fair or should I keep looking?

rb_in_va
09-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Is there a house on the lot? If so, how many sf?

virginia
09-07-2006, 11:35 AM
You mean the sq. feet of the house? The house is about 3000 sq. feet.

The lot itself is 7500 sq. feet. The house is on the lot of course, leaving about 5000 sq. feet of lawn. (minus driveway etc.)

I know it's 5000 sq. feet of lawn because I have another company doing fertilizing. They based their price on 5000 sq. feet.

rb_in_va
09-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Wow! That's a lot of house on a small lot! Sounds a tad steep. See if you can get some neighbors to use the same guy and get a discount.

virginia
09-07-2006, 11:46 AM
haha that's typical new construction :)

This LCO already has 5 other customers in the same subdivision. So my house is already in his route.

I will start getting more quotes. :dizzy:

rb_in_va
09-07-2006, 11:50 AM
virginia,
I was just throwing ideas out there. I'm not a lawn care pro. His price might be fair. Always good to get more quotes, and references!

newz7151
09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
virginia, you may want to do a search on here using the words "cheap customer" "PITA customer" and see what you come up with. IF the cut is every 2 weeks, that's like $25/week really.

virginia
09-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Well Newz7151 you don't have to be rude.

I never asked him to do it every 2 weeks. He is the one who said it should be cut every 2 weeks for the rest of the season. I asked him to quote a price for a weekly cut.

I'm just asking if this is fair and want to hear from professional lco. Should every customer jump on it regardless of price?

thesargent
09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
yes it is fair. especially if he is a professional! just to let you know, i guarantee you can find someone cheaper!

nobagger
09-07-2006, 01:50 PM
If you think it's too steep then by all means keep shopping. But as a professional lawn care company, it does'nt matter if he has 10 homes in your sub. at this point of the season the routes are already established and everything is going like clock work and to through a new lawn into the mix can sometimes make things worse. And it being a two week deal, shame on him because the grass is growing like crazy again (well at least around here) and there is more "clean up time" involved.

NickN
09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
5000 sq ft would be a dream.Our smallest lot as of now is 10K sq ft,for $36 weeklyand takes all of 25 minutes.$50 for 5000sqft of mowing and trimming is robbery.Hell,I'm only charging $65 for 44,000 sq ft.It should take him about 10-15minutes for your lot.
I'd have to charge about $25 for a lot that size.Easy money.Of course,cost of living may be lower here also,but I can't see it being THAT much lower.

virginia
09-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Thank you all.

I am frustrated because after I told him I need to think about it, he said he will negotiate with me once the weather allows weekly cut. He also said he normally would charge more than $50 for my size of lawn. That pretty much ends it for me, because I don't want him feel like he should be getting $60 and doing me a favor for $50.

I called him because he left a flyer 2 weeks ago, so I know he's looking for new customers. Over the phone he said he has other customers in the neighborhood. I thought this is a win-win situation. He got a new account that's already in his route, and I can be sure that he's not going to skip a week or something.

If that makes me a PITA, then so be it. From a homeowner's point of view, there are PITA lco too!

olderthandirt
09-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Thank you all.

I am frustrated because after I told him I need to think about it, he said he will negotiate with me once the weather allows weekly cut. He also said he normally would charge more than $50 for my size of lawn. That pretty much ends it for me, because I don't want him feel like he should be getting $60 and doing me a favor for $50.

I called him because he left a flyer 2 weeks ago, so I know he's looking for new customers. Over the phone he said he has other customers in the neighborhood. I thought this is a win-win situation. He got a new account that's already in his route, and I can be sure that he's not going to skip a week or something.

If that makes me a PITA, then so be it. From a homeowner's point of view, there are PITA lco too!

Touchy! you ask on a forum if the price is fair and then go on to mention that " I can be sure that he's not going to skip a week or something" Sounds like your looking for trouble before there is any.
You are correct about there being PITA LCO they usually get that way from dealing with PITA customers. You can't build a business with a bad attitude.
And it sounds like he was trying to save you some money by only mowing every other week. But the cheaper lco is out there and you will find them, its how long the business relationship will last that I'm suspicious about.

BTW--You might want to contact member top-sites he might be in your area

virginia
09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks. I apologize if that comes out wrong. I don't mean to be rude or anything. I just read on this forum that some lco (what you guys called lowballers?) will just stop showing up. All I want is to find someone reliable. I pay on time and I am not picky about grass. I just want it cut.

lawnmaniac883
09-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Well I guess I will ask the question.

How high is the grass? If it is 50$ for cutting 10 inches of thick growth off then ok...

rb_in_va
09-07-2006, 03:48 PM
BTW--You might want to contact member top-sites he might be in your area

Nope, he's in Richmond. I'm sure he would cut it for the right price, but it would surely be more than $50 to pay for the gas.:laugh:

virginia
09-07-2006, 03:54 PM
The grass is high now but I hired a fertilizing company to renovate it. That company already roundup it. They are going to mow it low in 1-2 weeks, then aerate, seed and fertilize. That company only fertilizes and do aeration, otherwise I will let them cut my grass.

I made sure the lco that quoted today know about this. I told him he's not going to have to deal with all the high growth and weed. I only want him to start cutting after I got the new seed growing and the lawn under control.

newz7151
09-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Well Newz7151 you don't have to be rude.

I never asked him to do it every 2 weeks. He is the one who said it should be cut every 2 weeks for the rest of the season. I asked him to quote a price for a weekly cut.

I'm just asking if this is fair and want to hear from professional lco. Should every customer jump on it regardless of price?

Well, I think you took what I typed the wrong way. By doing a search I meant to keep you from becoming a PITA customer, because you would see what the LCOs on here call PITA customers, and could then avoid their ways.

SodKing
09-07-2006, 06:12 PM
$50 - $75 in VA Beach seems about right for a top tier company. Your market is similar to the market I service and thats the pricing we are using.

dvmcmrhp52
09-07-2006, 06:53 PM
$50 - $75 in VA Beach seems about right for a top tier company. Your market is similar to the market I service and thats the pricing we are using.

$50 for 5000 sq. ft. of turf?
I'm moving to Virginia instead of upstate.

SodKing
09-07-2006, 07:15 PM
In a good neighborhood, I see no problem with that pricing.

virginia
09-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Why would grass cutting price be higher because the neighborhood is better?

Say if my company sells apple, the same apple should cost the same to all people who comes to my store, right?

G.M.Landscaping
09-07-2006, 07:49 PM

Yea really. Around here it's $25-30 for that yard.

fulano
09-07-2006, 09:18 PM
So, is that $50 per cut or $50 per month?

lawnmaniac883
09-07-2006, 09:50 PM

Say if my company sells apple, the same apple should cost the same to all people who comes to my store, right?

Wrong, mowing is just as price subjective as well ........... car sales maybe?

grass_cuttin_fool
09-07-2006, 10:37 PM

LMAO, must be that ocean property, back up here in the foothills of the mts. 5000 sq ft would prob be 20- 25 dollars.

wayne

dvmcmrhp52
09-07-2006, 10:44 PM
In a good neighborhood, I see no problem with that pricing.

$50-$75 for less than 1/8 acre is reasonable you say?
Uhuh.:rolleyes:

Uranus
09-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I dont drop my gates for less than $35. Unless your a nieghbor and want to pay me cash for each cut. I wish I had 5000sqft lawns. I would never come home. Mow from sun up to sun down. $$$$ Most of my lawns are 20 to 75 thousand sqft

virginia
09-07-2006, 11:13 PM
So, is that $50 per cut or $50 per month?

fulano, it's $50 per cut!

newz7151
09-07-2006, 11:27 PM

Does your store travel to all those different people?

kootoomootoo
09-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Has Bobby changed his name to Virginia?

Side note, Every year we have the same threads about core aerating prices and sure enough every year its $10/1000sq ft and up. Fat chance you are getting $440 per acre.

virginia
09-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Update!

Today we saw someone driving a truck with a big commericial mower on it in our subdivision. We asked them to stop by and give an estimate.

They quoted $25! Gave us a flyer with State Contractor License number. Also stated they are bonded and insured.

That's half of what the first lco quoted me!

newz7151
09-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Update!

Today we saw someone driving a truck with a big commericial mower on it in our subdivision. We asked them to stop by and give an estimate.

They quoted $25! Gave us a flyer with State Contractor License number. Also stated they are bonded and insured.

What frequency?

virginia
09-09-2006, 08:13 PM
They said $25 each time. I would think it means weekly? We told them we are going to seed the lawn and they asked us to call when the it's ready to be cut.

SodKing
09-09-2006, 08:30 PM

Generally the higher the house value the better job you have to do. The owners are more demanding. Edging the beds every week vs 1 time per month, weed wacking every edge vs just edges your mower cannot reach. Higher income folks have better ability to pay, and pricing is generally not their deciding factor when hiring a contractor whereas a neighborhood full of mobile homes are only concerned with price.

fulano
09-09-2006, 08:53 PM
They said $25 each time. I would think it means weekly?

Per cut could mean every few days, every week, every 10 days, every two weeks or something else. It depends upon how often they come and cut your grass. You had better find out before they start coming every few days and your bill turns out to be $250 (cut every three days) per month instead of $100 (cut every 7 days).

virginia
09-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I will confirm with him when my lawn is ready to be cut.

Now I am not saying I will definitely go with the cheaper lco for next season. I think it's worth a shot for the rest of this season and see if he does a good job.

fulano
09-09-2006, 09:09 PM
If he does a good job and shows up stick with the cheaper guy. I undercut the competition and do a better job than they do.

dKoester
09-09-2006, 09:40 PM
:waving: If you have any problems with that company call Extremely Green we live up to our name. Our price is 45 per week. We are very dependable. Our Office # is 1-757-424-6408. Have a great weekend.

bigjeeping
09-10-2006, 11:49 AM
ill do it for $10

Sandgropher
09-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Update!

Thats the same as the 1st person quoted you.:)

$50 a fortnight (1st quote)=$25 a week(2nd quote)

fulano
09-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Thats the same as the 1st person quoted you.:)

$50 a fortnight (1st quote)=$25 a week(2nd quote)

How is it the same? She said in post #29 that with the other guy it was $50 per cut. With the new company it is $25 per cut probably.

Critical Care
09-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Is paying $50 every other week for a cut the same as paying $25 for a cut every week? Absolutely not.

Indeed, in two weeks there will be more grass to cut than if you were to cut it every week, and with more grass to cut there is generally a bit more labor and time involved. But even if the grass is collected and hauled off, it shouldn’t be double. Should companies charge clients for the weeks that they aren’t mowing, or charge them for the service when they do show up? How about showing up every four weeks and then charging $100?

fulano
09-10-2006, 01:47 PM
In my area it would take me the same amount of time to cut once every two weeks or once per week. The reason why is no one waters or fetilizes their yards like they should.

muddstopper
09-10-2006, 02:43 PM
This has got to be the most ridiculous thread on this site.
A homeowners asks if $50 is to much to charge to mow their lawn. A dozen people responded and most seeming to think it was. No-one here even bothered to ask the conditions of the lawn. Does the $50 include just a mow and blow, or does it also include trimming and edgeing, how many obsticals are there to work around. Nobody here can price this job because nobody here has seen it. I find it hard to accept that anybody here would price a job, unseen and undescribed for anyprice. They are quick to post about the scrubs and lowballers, but it seems they are just as guilty as those lowballers and scrubs they seem to despise. Did it ever occur to anybody that the yard might have been unkept or maintained and the pricing might reflect getting the lawn in shape for the next mowing season. Edging might of never been done, Grass might be knee high with evidence of over fertilization. Beds might be placed to close to other objects and require the use of a much smaller mower or excessive trimming just to cut around. The lot may be extremly steep or maybe a bogg or in accessable. There could be trees with roots exposed that will require extra care, maybe the lot is full of rock and sticks and poses a risk of damage to a mower or the property.

Come on people, get a grip. Ask the right questions before you start making blanket statements about price.

I am not suggeting that the homeowners property is anything like I described, and I do believe he has the right to shop pricing to find the best deal. I dont believe he can get an accurate price on his lawn in Va. from someone that lives hundreds of miles away.

crawdad
09-10-2006, 09:27 PM
In my area it would take me the same amount of time to cut once every two weeks or once per week. The reason why is no one waters or fetilizes their yards like they should.
It doesn't grow the second week? What part of TN are you in, anyhow?
It grows every day here.

Phoenix
09-16-2006, 02:37 AM
A homeowners asks if $50 is to much to charge to mow their lawn. A dozen people responded and most seeming to think it was. No-one here even bothered to ask the conditions of the lawn...

I agree! One has to compare apples to apples.

Not all yards are created equal! Every flowerbed, tree, driveway, sidewalk, stepping stone, fence and house cost time to mow and edge around.

So if you have zero flowerbeds, trees, driveways, sidewalks, stepping stones or fences and only a house with 5000sf of the flatest, well watered, well fertilized grass around; it would cost you a minimum of $40.00 per cut in my book.

Keep in mind some LC’s will have built in costs that others may not.

Take time and take a look at:

1. Does the LC co. have professional equipment?
2. Do they provide you a written estimate that is not scribbled on the back of a card?
3. Does the crew wear uniforms with there name on them?
5. Do they offer references with phone numbers?
6. Does their crew look like they maybe illegal aliens?
7. If they have other yard in the neighborhood how long have they been doing them?

When I was in the LC biz I had a min. charge of $35.00 per cut that includes mowing, string edging and a blow off. Flowerbeds, hedge trimming and fertilizer were extra. I had businesses scattered out in a down town area that had lawn so small it took exactly 5 minutes each that I was paid $35.00 per cut (plus tax).

However, I had built in cost some others my not have had.

I ran late model trucks and trailers (used but looked good and were painted the companies colors), all commercial mowing equipment; all employees had uniforms with their names on them. My crew leaders (3) made $9.75 per hour and every one else (12) made $7.75 per hour (min. wage at the time was around $5.25 than). I only hired documented workers (US citizens) and paid them a wage they could live on and treated them with respect.

Who was my completion?

1. Every layed-off SOB with a 99.00 Wal-Mart push mower and a $200 dollar used craftsman rider.
2. LC owners that employed illegal aliens.

There you have it :) My .02

LarryF
09-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Who was my completion?

1. Every layed-off SOB with a 99.00 Wal-Mart push mower and a $200 dollar used craftsman rider.
2. LC owners that employed illegal aliens.

There you have it :) My .02

Why is a guy who had been so unfortunate as to have lost his job, perhaps through no fault of his own, referred to as an SOB? Seems like a weird remark to make.:dizzy:

fulano
09-16-2006, 05:31 PM
It doesn't grow the second week? What part of TN are you in, anyhow?
It grows every day here.

Grass grows daily however the lawns I mow don't grow enough in two weeks to make a difference in mow time.

Phoenix
09-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Why is a guy who had been so unfortunate as to have lost his job, perhaps through no fault of his own, referred to as an SOB? Seems like a weird remark to make.:dizzy:

Only because I have seen too many of them who see the LC business as an ease way to supplement their unemployment checks only to leave their customers high and dry after they find a “REAL JOB”!

I actually had a few guys tell me this when interviewing for a crew position. When I would ask them what kind of grounds keeping experience they had and what type of equipment they were familiar with? Some of them would reply that they had been cutting grass for the last nine or so months with some in-laws lawn equipment while they looked for a “real job” in their field. When they couldn’t find a “real job” in their field and their checks ran out, they wanted to give up the few customers they had acquired and come to work for me or one of the other three or four medium to large LC Co. in the area.

I had many friends that were in the lawn care business, we all competed for some of the same big and small commercial and government jobs and we all wanted to increase the amount of residential homes we were doing in prime subdivisions. The big and small commercial and government jobs were never the problem as they didn’t have the insurance / workman’s compensation that was required, but these fly by night guys would try to move into one of these prime subdivisions and low ball your jobs in hopes of stealing your customers. I personally didn’t mind as I knew it would only be a month or two and that customer would be calling us back. Now this was not the case for all my LC friends who had dedicated their saving and ground pounding sweet to get a good start in the LC biz. Some of them needed every customer they had to stay afloat and when you had a company like fruit of the loom lay off a few hundred people, their would be ten of the fly-by night guys putting the hurt to a few guys out there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grass grows daily however the lawns I mow don't grow enough in two weeks to make a difference in mow time.

One year soon after I had just started to grow, we had a very dry year and at the time we hadn’t got a foot hold in any of the new prime subdivisions were most if not all of the houses has water systems. I was getting nervous as I had guys that needed 40 hours and the work was just not there. So I got on the phone to all my customers that were not under a full service contract and gave them a discounted rate on tree pruning, flowerbeds, fence repair, roof vent greasing (the ones that spin), drive way steam cleaning, etc. When that ran out I set the guys up with stencils and paint and sold curb painting (painting house numbers on the curb) to my residential customers and their neighbors. The guys were glad to get the hours and we all made it through a dry spell without losing any money.

tmjess
09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
We pay $45 for just under a 1/2 acre in the Atlanta area

- TMJess

dvmcmrhp52
09-29-2006, 07:00 PM
So if you have zero flowerbeds, trees, driveways, sidewalks, stepping stones or fences and only a house with 5000sf of the flatest, well watered, well fertilized grass around; it would cost you a minimum of $40.00 per cut in my book.

Ahhhhh, so texas has changed dramatically apparently...............

Minumum of $40 per cut for 5000 sq ft of the flatest most unobstructed lawn around?

This thread is amusing.

dvmcmrhp52
09-29-2006, 07:09 PM
A homeowners asks if $50 is to much to charge to mow their lawn. A dozen people responded and most seeming to think it was. No-one here even bothered to ask the conditions of the lawn. Does the $50 include just a mow and blow, or does it also include trimming and edgeing, how many obsticals are there to work around. Nobody here can price this job because nobody here has seen it. I find it hard to accept that anybody here would price a job, unseen and undescribed for anyprice. They are quick to post about the scrubs and lowballers, but it seems they are just as guilty as those lowballers and scrubs they seem to despise. Did it ever occur to anybody that the yard might have been unkept or maintained and the pricing might reflect getting the lawn in shape for the next mowing season. Edging might of never been done, Grass might be knee high with evidence of over fertilization. Beds might be placed to close to other objects and require the use of a much smaller mower or excessive trimming just to cut around. The lot may be extremly steep or maybe a bogg or in accessable. There could be trees with roots exposed that will require extra care, maybe the lot is full of rock and sticks and poses a risk of damage to a mower or the property.

Come on people, get a grip. Ask the right questions before you start making blanket statements about price.

I am not suggeting that the homeowners property is anything like I described, and I do believe he has the right to shop pricing to find the best deal. I dont believe he can get an accurate price on his lawn in Va. from someone that lives hundreds of miles away.

It really isn't rocket science on 5000 sq ft of turf, besides that, maybe you ought to read what he posted..........

"5000 sq ft, no sidewalk, rectangular lot, flat and no fence."

I'd say that gives enough of an idea to ballpark it for a postage stamp lot. It isn't a quote it's simply a BALLPARK figure for an average lot. You do it all the time just like everyone else, the only difference being no one will admit to it here on lawnsite.

Mic_bug
09-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Around here about 40-45 for 20k sq ft...basic cut!