PDA

View Full Version : FAE or Magnum mulcher head?

rutwad
09-07-2006, 09:10 PM
I hear two different stories. I was pretty well sold on the magnum until I talked to a guy that has been running one for a while. He says that other heads are better than his magnum. Yet I hear magnum has the fastest recover time and will outcut all others.

Then a salesman that sells both said they stopped selling the magnum because it just wasn't as good as the FAE. He says the FAE has a quicker recovery time, better warranty, better built, and been in the industry for years.

So what I am wondering is did the magnum change? It used to be called a mini-mag, but now it's a magnum xl. Maybe the FAE is better than the mini-mag but not the newer xl.

Does anybody know?

thanks

Wayward
09-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I, too, am interested in this subject. Every dealer I've talked to says his brand is the best, has the best technology, is built the strongest, etc. And for the price of these things, I don't want to make the wrong choice. I'm going to try to demo as many as I can, but this won't be easy because some dealers are quite a distance away.

Hummer
09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
rutwad,

Just wondering if you have considered the Fecon & Loftness cutter heads?

If so, what's your opinion of them? Have you ruled them out in favor of the FAE or Magnum?

What do you mean by 'recovery time'?

rutwad
09-08-2006, 10:21 AM
rutwad,

Just wondering if you have considered the Fecon & Loftness cutter heads?

If so, what's your opinion of them? Have you ruled them out in favor of the FAE or Magnum?

What do you mean by 'recovery time'?

So far I can only go on what I've been told. I haven't demo'd any. According to the ASV district sales rep who says they have worked with all the mulcher head manufacturers, he said Fecon, FAE, or Magnum are all good heads and you can't go wrong with any of them. Loftness is a lighter built head. Magnum has the quickest recovery time (time getting back up to speed after stalling it down).

I've actually seen the Magnum and FAE. I like the Magnum for it's low profile and pressure gauge. I like the FAE for it's adjustable skids (up to 4") and V'd push bar. The magnum's push bar is built using smaller material and is a straight bar which could allow a tree to go to either side where the FAE push bar will "hold" the tree in it's V not allowing it to slide to the sides. I like the fact that FAE manufactures many forestry attachments and has been in business much longer than magnum.

According to a saleman that is a dealer for FAE and Magnum (they are still a Magnum authorized dealer but no longer keep it's product in stock) he has had better luck with the FAE's. A couple of magnum's have came back with problems, never a FAE. FAE's warranty is better. The Magnum offers double sided hammers, but after switching the worn teeth around you cause the head to be out of balance which will cause premature wear. He also says the FAE has a quicker recover time. But I am wondering if he sold the older Magnum heads. I have heard the XL has an upgraded motor. Maybe the older Magnum was slower until they switched to the XL.

I read on the internet where someone had a chance to demo all 4 (loftness Fecon, FAE, and Magnum). He said the Magnum out cut them all and the only one that came close was the FAE.

So unless I hear different, I think it;s between the FAE and Magnum for me.

ksss
09-11-2006, 02:49 PM
I would think that the recovery time of the hyd. motor would have a lot to do with your carrier's hyd. hp and its pump set up. Brown Bear also makes a cutter head that is well thought of. I still marvel at the cost of these things. I just don't see how they get to 25 to 30K for one of these.

Wayward
09-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I went today and checked out some mulchers at my local CAT dealer. They carry three brands of mulchers: Magnum, Tushogg, and CAT (according to the dealer, it's an FAE with CAT paint). He said he likes the Magnum best because it has the fastest recovery and cuts the quickest.

Scag48
09-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Wayward, did you happen to take a look at Cat's new HM312 mulcher? Is that the one built by FAE? I have a friend who's interested in buying one of these heads but our dealer is having trouble getting one this far west with their recent introduction to the Cat mulcher lineup.

Wayward
09-13-2006, 05:54 AM
Scag48, they had all three makes there on the ground. To be honest, though, I didn't take a real good look at the CAT (it was wedged in between some other stuff and had the hydraulic door down so that I couldn't see the cutting head), but the salesman said that it was made by FAE. BTW, Magnum XL $25,000, CAT $23,000, Tushogg $20,000 (all ballpark figures).

jsbiker
09-13-2006, 08:12 AM
FAE is the largest maker of mulching heads and Mag is just a poor copy as ia a few others the CAT mh312 is almost the same as the FAE UML/SSL 125. but Cat had a few little changes made.

MikeAtv
09-22-2006, 08:09 PM
The Cat rental stores in Loisville rent Fecon's. They really like them.

brushman
09-30-2006, 04:36 PM
I've been running a Magnum 165 now for over a year. If anyone out there wants to purchase it, let me know, I'd let it go for a song.

brushman
09-30-2006, 04:38 PM
I've been running a Magnum 165 now for over a year. Next time I'll look at the FAE before spending the money. Loftness has excellent customer service, I've had two of their mowers. They stand behind their product like no one I've ever dealt with before.

rutwad
09-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, I bought a Fae. I hope it works out well for me, these things are quite an investment

brushman
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM
From what I've heard, you made a great choice, would love to hear how it works for you. I'm going to demo one in a month or so.

rutwad
10-01-2006, 03:15 PM
From what I've heard, you made a great choice, would love to hear how it works for you. I'm going to demo one in a month or so.

Thanks, I hope it works out well. I'll let you know once I spend some time on it.

YellowDogSVC
10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I went today and checked out some mulchers at my local CAT dealer. They carry three brands of mulchers: Magnum, Tushogg, and CAT (according to the dealer, it's an FAE with CAT paint). He said he likes the Magnum best because it has the fastest recovery and cuts the quickest.

I run a tushhog in your neck of the woods n. of SA
It's the toughest thing out there even if it isn't the heaviest but it leaves a lot to be desired in quality of shreds. Will destroy ANY size tree. You are only limited by carrier's hp. Rocks are not a problem (though flint can chip the carbide tips). I am in the process of switching to either loftness, magnum or FAE only because of quality of shreds. I will miss my tushhog if I can't afford to keep both. It can go where the other heads cannot and it grinds ugly, big stumps too. Dang, wish the teeth did a cleaner job!

janb
10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
...tushhog ... I will miss my tushhog if I can't afford to keep both. It can go where the other heads cannot and it grinds ugly, big stumps too. Dang, wish the teeth did a cleaner job!

Is this basically a 'Fecon' "bullhog?"

how many HP, what size machine?

I will say the timber axe demo I saw had some nice looking chips..., but for $40,000 :dizzy: I am inclined to find a HD flail, they go at auction for $1000, more my price range (recreational / semi retired / ex-worker)

Fortunately our refuse is pretty whimpy (usually berries and decomposing wood)

YellowDogSVC
10-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Tushhog isn't like anything out there except maybe a miniature version of Iron Wolf Slasher.

It is made up of rock milling teeth on a big drum. Is more of a crusher/shredder than a wood chipper like fecon, fae, etc. It can handle sucking in large rocks and spits out gravel. Can run on a high flow skidsteer with at least 75hp.

timberaxe should run no more than 21k new according to loftness website.
If you have decomposing wood and berries, a brushcat (rotary) will do a fine job on material to about 4" and the shreds look acceptable to most folks.

YellowDogSVC
10-22-2006, 09:55 PM
I also ran a brown bear bc283 for about 2 months. It was an earlier model 2003 machine. It was real heavy, and kind of awkward for me. The machine did cut well on softer woods but the cup mechanisms needed sharpening if I hit rock. The machine only cut 28" wide compared to similarly sized machines that cut 48-60 inc., wide. That tells you how well it was made because it's weight was around 2k lbs for such a narrow cut. The whole cutter was a bit awkward, as I pointed out. Excellent customer service, though. I understand they have a wider cut fixed tooth model now..

work4green
03-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Rutwad, how are you liking the FAE? I've been in the brush cutting business for about 10 years- but with smaller equipment. I'm looking into moving up to a skid steer with both rotary(Brushcat) and 'flail style' cutters like an FAE or Tushhogg.

YellowDogSVC
03-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Rutwad, how are you liking the FAE? I've been in the brush cutting business for about 10 years- but with smaller equipment. I'm looking into moving up to a skid steer with both rotary(Brushcat) and 'flail style' cutters like an FAE or Tushhogg.

I have been running the Hm312 CAT which is just likethe FAE. It is a little weak on the torque compared to tushhogg but it mulches good and I use it on trees up to about 10". It was much more expensive than the tushhogg but so far, it has been less maintenance and it produces a safer work environment and a much cleaner (shredded) product. I run it on an s300k

work4green
03-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the response YellowDog. How far does this mulcher head tend to sling debris? I'm hoping to be able to use it in residential lots- 1/2 acre or so. What size do the chips tend to be? Quality of cut is more important than speed for most of the jobs I'm looking into taking on. How long do the teeth on the FAE last? Do they chip on rocks? (I think I read an earlier post by you about the tushhogg chipping on flint? We have a lot of quartz rocks here, and quartz is very hard.) I'll send you a PM on some other business questions not related to the cutterheads, so as not to hijack this thread.

YellowDogSVC
03-30-2007, 10:26 AM
So far, of all the mowers I have used (brownbear, brushcat, Davco, tushogg, FAE), the FAE style chips the finest by far. The tushogg leaves a rough mess but it is more effective on large, bulky brush piles and big softwood logs and stumps.
You can use fae on small lots with the door closed. It can sling material but it isn't as bad as the tushhogg at ejecting. The teeth have been great in the limestone and limited flint that i have worked in since Dec. No chips on the teeth yet. You can adjust the skids too, and I like that option.

Brushcat is good for small lots too but it won't hold up to bigger wood. I have owned two brushcats and they are great for mowing after you use the FAE to smooth out the shreds.

BLCS
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
i have the fae and i use it on small residental lots, with the door open backing up it slings chips pretty far as yellow dog said with the door closed it does well and u get finer chips to. just a little FYI the motor and shaft stripped out on the FAE last week and took 4 working days to get parts and fix, it only has 140 hours, thanks for warranty.

JDSKIDSTEER
04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I sold a Magnum last fall. So far no problems. I now stock one with the oil cooler option. I have found out in 90 degree temps the oil cooler is a nice feature. I think since Bradco took on the line they have made some major improvments.

jsbiker
05-05-2007, 07:53 PM
i have found that a skid steer company is testing mulching heads on the same skid steer using the same operator.
of the 4 heads being tested FAE is ahead of FECON by just a little. they say the testing will now be done with full set of test gauges on the skid steer and head.
i was also told that another skid steer is going to run the same tests using a different brand skid steer the testing is NOT being done by the people making the heads

YellowDogSVC
05-05-2007, 08:02 PM
I like my CAT/FAE but it doesn't have very much torque. I wonder if the new bobcat mulcher (fecon head i believe) will have more torque.

jsbiker
05-05-2007, 08:39 PM
do you have a cat with XPS or not
if you do change they pulleys around
the cat heads are set up for the older hi flow skid steer
you will find a big difference chanage them
the dealer should know this

good luck

jsbiker
05-05-2007, 08:42 PM
the new LOL fecon is a copy of a 1997 FAE style head
its just a copy of the real thing

arnie12340
09-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I've been running a Magnum 165 now for over a year. If anyone out there wants to purchase it, let me know, I'd let it go for a song.

I might be interested in your Magnum 165. What size is it? I am getting a ASV RC100, will this head work good with it? What problems are you having with this head? One guy said his Magnum 165 head over heated and needs
a temp gauge and hoses, he was asking $6,500. Not sure if overheating would hurt the machine? Thanks

YellowDogSVC
09-15-2007, 12:05 PM
I might be interested in your Magnum 165. What size is it? I am getting a ASV RC100, will this head work good with it? What problems are you having with this head? One guy said his Magnum 165 head over heated and needs
a temp gauge and hoses, he was asking $6,500. Not sure if overheating would hurt the machine? Thanks

I doubt the head is overheating. More likely, it's the machine that is overheating. I get calls from other operators asking about overheating issues. I don't overheat and I think it is because I don't use the cutter head as a dozer, watch my rpms and temp guage and let the head recover. Keeping radiators and oil coolers clean is the most important step in controlling heat issues.

If you have an older machine, replace or have teh radiator core cleaned if the machine has been used in the woods. Start fresh and then keep that radiator clean by adding a screen. If you are going to operate a skidsteer brush mower, I recommend keeping a compressor handy and just plan on getting out of the cab every hour and cleaning the screens and looking for debris. If you get out to stretch your legs or take a leak, check things out before they accumulate. Hydraulic oil coolers need a lot of airflow to keep things cool.

Hope this helps.

jsbiker
09-15-2007, 05:16 PM
why buy problems magnum has a list of them

SiteSolutions
09-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Nobody has mentioned GyroTrac; has anyone tried their mulcher head? The head they market has blades vs hammers, which chips things up rather than shredding. Supposed to require less power but I would hate to hit a rock with one.

Also, there was some talk about recovery time, but it would seem that is simply a function of rotating mass (and carrier hydraulic hp) as much as anything else. That is, I would think (in general) that a head which takes longer to recover is probably heavier and would tend to be harder to slow down in the first place.

Where's TigerRotor?

jsbiker
09-16-2007, 07:46 AM
GyroTrac why make a head that you have to make the rotor EZ to replace MMM why do i want to replace a rotor MMM can we say junk.

as for recovery time yes you are right but rotor speed, type of belts and pulleys, size of motor, size of pulleys, ratio of pulleys, length of belts
the rotors on FAE, Fecon magnum are all close to the same, FAE and Fecon use the same type motors and pulleys. FAE has a 1.5 sec. faster recovery time.
OH yes hose size, lenght, look at the size of the inside of the fittings MMMM need to get the oil in and out of the motor to make power. its the little things that make a BIG difference

jsbiker
09-16-2007, 09:53 PM
a side note I understand that FAE RD department is coming out with a new tooth or cutting system
i also saw a new CAB AIR SYSTEM to help keep theinside of cab's cleaner and a COOLING SYSTEM CLEANER in 1 gallon's that is made of mulchers

you have to hand one thing to FAE for keeping ahead of the copy cats
have you seen that all the new heads coming out look like they are made by FAE

JDSKIDSTEER
09-17-2007, 06:15 AM
I have had excellent service with the Bradco Magnum heads.

jsbiker
09-17-2007, 09:26 AM
magnum is a good head, its a copy of a unit built in 1989.
they could make a few changes to make it a better head.
some of the items they use for sales points or only just that sale points that are different than other heads. I always ask if it so good why dont others jump at the change and do it also or is it just sales BS

Hummer
04-29-2008, 12:34 PM
i have found that a skid steer company is testing mulching heads on the same skid steer using the same operator.
of the 4 heads being tested FAE is ahead of FECON by just a little. they say the testing will now be done with full set of test gauges on the skid steer and head.
i was also told that another skid steer is going to run the same tests using a different brand skid steer the testing is NOT being done by the people making the heads

jsbiker,

So what was the outcome of this testing that you mentioned? It must have been completed by now.

jsbiker
04-29-2008, 12:51 PM
ok this is a hard one
Fecon and FAE it was close but FAE had much better, when including the teeth, time to change them, down time, fuel use difference.

if you just stand back and look they look like the same work output.

when you add the new style teeth to each unit then the FAE is way ahead.

watch out for a new power unit from FAE it about the same size as a skid steer with 125 HP, i am at 120hrs testing it and fecon/rayco 140 and 100
this looks as if it will be the next step up form a skid steer

Barry Construction
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
We have the gyro trac gt 13, recovery is very nice. cut very well, takes about 30-45 min every day just to sharpen the teeth and they do not like rocks at all. The problem we seem to have is we can only get about 20-30(with out hitting rocks) hours out of a set of teeth and at $950 for a set it gets spendy fast. Have 123 hours on it and was overheating the other day cummings came out and put in a new therm. and water pump and now good to go. Anyone else own a gyro trac?? Ideas on after market teeth that run a little cheaper?

Thanks
Darin

jsbiker
04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
this is getting around 120 hrs with out resharping
called viper from FAE

Barry Construction
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
called viper from FAE

That is pretty good!! Wished that would fit on my cutter head!!

jsbiker
04-29-2008, 01:15 PM
:hammerhead:
never would have a gyro trash unit
i see a lot of dead units all over the USA and Canada

Barry Construction
04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Have heard good and bad about every machine on the market. We did do our research and found that the people who owned a gyro trac seemed to go back and purchase another machine or two. A few people that I went to visit owned 10 or more gyro trac machines and seem to like them.

We are looking to add more equipment and would like to test out the Wood Devil.

jsbiker
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
i know of one in Richmand VA that is not sold
one in texas, one in Florida, and i think 2 at FAE office in GA

what is your location if i could ask

:drinkup:

YellowDogSVC
04-29-2008, 11:26 PM

have you tried king-kong tools?

jsbiker
04-30-2008, 08:17 AM
king kong tools suck:dizzy:
i have photos of heads using them with holes in them
i would pay more for a tool if i knew that someone was not going to be hurt by it coming apart.
most people think that is the companies trying to make money off the enduser for saying "IF YOU DONT USE OEM PARTS NO WARRANTY OR LIBILTY COVERAGE"
I had a contractor call me with this problem in Texas, he replaced the teeth with after market teeth. they came apart, one made a hole in the cover another hit a car and caused a 3 car wreck. they went after the OEM of the head and found that they used non OEM teeth, so they got off ok, the after market company showed that they say they have NO WARRANTY OR LIBILTY on any item thy sell, so the contractor had to pay and a lot more than a set of teeth even more than he would have used in 5 years

cheep is not always the best way to go

jsbiker
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM

you can fit a FAE or Fecon on your unit

cant say what company it is but they are going to be making a full line of rotors to fit Gyro heads, and complete heads also. and they will not be sold by Gyro

Barry Construction
04-30-2008, 07:22 PM
I am in MN. Keep me posted on the company when they are public. Email is darin.bconstruction@gmail.com

Mulchin Larry
05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Avoid FAE there service sucks.

jsbiker
05-02-2008, 03:10 PM

why do you say that as FAE has Dealers that service the heads
or is it the dealer that sucks... i find that with most of the companies... its the dealer that only wants to sell equipment and not service it. why would any company want to know for bad service...

maybe you should have a talk with someone at FAE and find out what your problem is

jsbiker
05-02-2008, 03:22 PM

i just looked at all of your post looks as if all of them have the same it sucks MSG in them is everything you have SUCK

:walking::nono:

Mulchin Larry
05-03-2008, 12:00 AM
i just looked at all of your post looks as if all of them have the same it sucks MSG in them is everything you have SUCK

:walking::nono:

Fellows look at were jsbiker gets his money from. FAE isn't that bad from the factory side but they still have a lot to work on. I waited 3 months to get this new Viper tooth they are talking about and it in no way lived up to what I was told it would be. Most of my problems did come from the dealer, but FAE's trying to cover for the dealers ineptitude cost me a lot of cash out of my pocket. My DEALER IS NO LONGER A DEALER BUT FAE HAS YET TO HELP ME OUT. IT TOOK ME CONSTANT CALLING AND SEVERAL UN-RETURNED VOICE MAILS BEFORE I EVER HAD ANY VERBAL COMMUNICATION ABOUT MY PROBLEMS. Most of my problems are dealer related but who do you blame when your dealer quits being a dealer and you get screwed over?

jsbiker you must be a :weightlifter:

jsbiker
05-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Fellows look at were jsbiker gets his money from. FAE isn't that bad from the factory side but they still have a lot to work on. I waited 3 months to get this new Viper tooth they are talking about and it in no way lived up to what I was told it would be. Most of my problems did come from the dealer, but FAE's trying to cover for the dealers ineptitude cost me a lot of cash out of my pocket. My DEALER IS NO LONGER A DEALER BUT FAE HAS YET TO HELP ME OUT. IT TOOK ME CONSTANT CALLING AND SEVERAL UN-RETURNED VOICE MAILS BEFORE I EVER HAD ANY VERBAL COMMUNICATION ABOUT MY PROBLEMS. Most of my problems are dealer related but who do you blame when your dealer quits being a dealer and you get screwed over?

how i get paid: i get paid a lot of ways, the company i own and run helps end users, dealers, and manufactures of equipment.
and yes i have had payments from FAE as well as most of the others.

as for the viper teeth i found a problem with the bolts in testing witch held up shipment to dealers, and the fact that dealers were telling end users they could get the teeth before they were ready. IF you want to blame someone for you not getting them its could have been ME for finding a problem.
(yes i was paid to test them)

as for the dealer first thing i would do is call FAE parts/service dept. they setup a new dept. with staffed with people that have been in the ind. for a long time. (yes i was paid to help set this up and find people)

i would nicely tell them your problem and ask for a GOOD DEALER to help, not just one that is close to you.

manufactures are not out to cover for dealers, i have tried to help in matters like this in the past. even to the point of taking a unit from a dealer and moving it to a GOOD dealer to fix the problem.

most of the time its better to look close at the dealer best deals are not always with the lowest price dealer.

if you would like i will send this to FAE for you if you send me an e-mail with your e-mail name and number

YellowDogSVC
05-03-2008, 11:14 AM
why do you say that as FAE has Dealers that service the heads
or is it the dealer that sucks... i find that with most of the companies... its the dealer that only wants to sell equipment and not service it. why would any company want to know for bad service...

maybe you should have a talk with someone at FAE and find out what your problem is

I agree. I doubt a blanket statement like the one referenced is true for all over. I have talked to people that have excellent service from their FAE rep.

YellowDogSVC
05-03-2008, 11:16 AM
called viper from FAE

I have thought about running a few of those in between my regular carbide teeth if it wouldn't throw the balance off

jsbiker
05-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree. I doubt a blanket statement like the one referenced is true for all over. I have talked to people that have excellent service from their FAE rep.

yes i find the same most are good to deal with just a few that are not

jsbiker
05-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I have thought about running a few of those in between my regular carbide teeth if it wouldn't throw the balance off

it should not throw it off as long as you place them even around the rotor.
never tried it let me know if it works or if you do try it..

YellowDogSVC
05-03-2008, 11:24 AM

I have had problems with dealers of machinery and have made blanket statements but had to retract because I realized they can't all be bad. CAT uses an FAE built head. Do you think CAT could help you get parts for your mower? They are very similar if you have the fixed tooth rotor design.

Mulchin Larry
05-03-2008, 12:05 PM
if you would like i will send this to FAE for you if you send me an e-mail with your e-mail name and number

Thanks for the offer but I am hammering it out with them now.

Do you know if it would be possible to have an old set of the C's re-tipped?

jsbiker
05-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the offer but I am hammering it out with them now.

Do you know if it would be possible to have an old set of the C's re-tipped?

its never a good way to go for any teeth
the tips are made of meterial that match the work load and the if the bonding material is not right the fly off

carbide is funny stuff its all different for different uses, the same for the bonding material

always use factory teeth to be safe and not sorry
and stay away from the big monkey teeth you think you have problems now:dizzy:

good luck

Mulchin Larry
05-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I have had problems with dealers of machinery and have made blanket statements but had to retract because I realized they can't all be bad. CAT uses an FAE built head. Do you think CAT could help you get parts for your mower? They are very similar if you have the fixed tooth rotor design.

I may look back in to that, but the last I look into it Yancey (the GA Cat Dealer blew me off more than FAE.

I have since got in touch with FAE and their service department proved to be very informative. And might I add, head and shoulders above my former dealer, which gave me a bunch of B.S. information.

However, for the applications that I am using the mulcher for I think I need to go back to the C's (original teeth) instead of the VIPERS. For the applications that I use the mulcher for the C's last a lot longer and cause less track damage than the VIPERS have on my rubber tracked ASV.

And yes those Vipers worked damn good at first but they just aren't what I need.

Sorry if I offend anyone just stating an opinion and yes I know what those are like.:waving:

[QUOTE=jsbiker]
as for the viper teeth i found a problem with the bolts in testing witch held up shipment to dealers, and the fact that dealers were telling end users they could get the teeth before they were ready. IF you want to blame someone for you not getting them its could have been ME for finding a problem.
(yes i was paid to test them)

The Bolts on my Vipers are the same as on my C's and it was FAE that originally told me about the new teeth and told me to contact my dealer, which is when most of my problems started. :hammerhead:

Mulchin Larry
05-05-2008, 11:24 PM
I plan on making an unannounced stop by corporate headquarters and expressing my dissatisfaction with his staff:dancing:

Wish me luck:weightlifter:

YellowDogSVC
05-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I plan on making an unannounced stop by corporate headquarters and expressing my dissatisfaction with his staff:dancing:

Wish me luck:weightlifter:

just keep it civil and professional and you will get further!:hammerhead:

Treemow
05-26-2008, 11:12 AM
New here.Hi to all.

Treemow
05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I am running a FAE ssl150 on a Mustang mtl25 and it performs pretty well.There was discussion on "viper" teeth.I've been running King Kong "sharks" for a while now and they perform excellent. They work great in most applications including mild rocky areas. My belief is that work well because the back of the carbide is supported better than the FAE "c" type tooth.

Barry Construction
05-26-2008, 01:32 PM
JSbiker,
Have you heard anything more on the new cutter head to fit on the gyro trac?? I love the machine and the service has been great but they need to have some better teeth.

Thanks for the help

jsbiker
05-26-2008, 03:34 PM
hi guys

barry i know that a company is making after market rotors that fit Fecon heads and at this time that the only one todate. but i will keep a look out when it hits. i would never tell anyone to buy non OEM parts other than for gyo-trash.

treemow
King Kong makes some of the bigest junk made. they never stand by anything they make. they have NO QC none at all
the the OEM's used them they would all have people mad at them for welling bad teeth

jsbiker
05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
i ran a NEW head last week it is a beast, grinds/mulches rock, concrete, stumps 6 inch deep. it was so good a running unit that a contractor that trucked the rock and concrete to the site gave the company CASH for the first head. oh it fits on skid steers
i will have photos latter of it working. this is going to be one BAD A.... unit for site prep

Treemow
05-26-2008, 10:14 PM
jsbiker

The teeth work well for me but may not work well for others depending on their situation.The people at King Kong have bent over backwards for me.

Hummer
05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Jsbiker,

Can you say who makes this new head that you're raving about? It almost sounds like a small scale IronWolf head.

YellowDogSVC
05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Jsbiker,

Can you say who makes this new head that you're raving about? It almost sounds like a small scale IronWolf head.

Or a tushhogg/landtamer

Hummer
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Or a tushhogg/landtamer

I had originally thought of a Tushhog head, but from what jsbiker is saying, it sounds to me like this is a head newly designed (or re-designed) for skidsteer use, so I therefore thought of the IronWolf heads.

I'm curious to hear who makes this head he's been mentioning, what width it is and how much power it requires to operate.

CarterKraft
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
isn't it a River City mfg product?

the landtamer is I think and they are really similar.

YellowDogSVC
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
isn't it a River City mfg product?

the landtamer is I think and they are really similar.

River city in Austin makes the landtamer now called tushhog. I had one. It was a good, all purpose head but teeth changing was a real pain. Cheap to operate until you had to replace $25 teeth plus time.

kelecz
06-10-2008, 07:40 AM

Hello there,

I am going to buy Cat hm312 and need some help. Is this attach fit just on CAT SSL or I can put it on some other SSL? Bobcat etc.?
Thanks!!!!

ASCHAL45
06-10-2008, 08:29 AM
you can run the cat head on other machines yellowdog ran one on his bobcats if Im not mistaken

jsbiker
06-10-2008, 08:29 AM
i have been sent a lot of photos just like this.
non OEM and a OEM next to it. the OEM always outlasts the non OEM
and look at the hole in the unit over the tooth
this end user was told to bad by the dealer for KK

kelecz
06-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Thank you all.We will see yellowdog have to say ......

Treemow
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
King Kong Rules

Treemow
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
The picture looks as if somebody didn't torque a tooth to spec.Carbides fail on all types of teeth...eventually.The tooth in the picture did not cause that damage.

jsbiker
06-10-2008, 03:43 PM
i will have the owner e-mail you about it LOL
and what he had to do to get them to make it right

monkey teeth suck but i have to say that if everyone liked the samething the world would suck to

difference is the spice of life

:drinkup:

YellowDogSVC
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM
you can run the cat head on other machines yellowdog ran one on his bobcats if Im not mistaken

yes on a couple of s300's with secondary front auxillary hydraulics to open and close the trap door. No electrical hookup needed.

I have bragged about it before but I absolutely love the FAE/CAT HM 312. I have had it since 11/06 and have replaced only 1 tooth. I thought that maybe I wasn't changing them at the right intervals so I had the dealer look at it and compared new teeth to old and the old are still doing a great job. I am speechless about how that is possible considering that I work in rocky terrain and often grind uprooted stumps containing limestone. I think that part of the tooth life is that the HM312 rides high on the skid plates. While some mulchers like tushhog especially, and to some extent the magnum, mulch lower, the HM312 does a pretty good job of getting low enough though another inch would make me happier.

You need 5 hydro hookups for the HM312 to be optimal. two for motor, 1 case drain, 2 for the trap door. Even if you don't have the extra hookups, I found that my first s300 ran the mower fine and that I could manually open and close door by leaving hoses connected and bungeeing the door up when I wanted to keep door open. This worked good even in tough brush but using the trap door with a button is much sweeter!

jsbiker
06-10-2008, 04:08 PM
you can get a hose kit for most heads that have 5 hoses to run on skit steers that have 3 it works good

Barry Construction
06-10-2008, 05:04 PM
yellow dog,

Do you have any pics of your set up?? How big of stuff can you go through. Bobcat made a few adjustments for the unit I tried a few weeks ago and will be trying that one out in the next few days. We are cutting 16 inch trees and the gyro trac works pretty good on that but people do not like the price that we need to run that machine.

Thanks

YellowDogSVC
06-10-2008, 05:10 PM
yellow dog,

Do you have any pics of your set up?? How big of stuff can you go through. Bobcat made a few adjustments for the unit I tried a few weeks ago and will be trying that one out in the next few days. We are cutting 16 inch trees and the gyro trac works pretty good on that but people do not like the price that we need to run that machine.

Thanks

you can see my old setup at www.brushchipping.com and watch the slides. I havne't taken any pictures with the Cat yet.

In s. Texas, we have cedar. I can mulch ANY sized cedar but it's soft wood. 16" trees, continuous duty on a small machine is a SLOW go. I prefer brush piles and dead wood.
Some just take longer but I routinely mulch 20" cedar stumps that have been uprooted. I did a 20" x30' oak a few weeks ago that had been cut down. I had to mill on it for 40 minutes to get the log reduced to dust. If you don't force the machine into things and let the teeth do the work, you can mulch anything. I'll get some pictures of my stump piles and you can see a side by side. I have some pictures on my websites too.

Barry Construction
06-10-2008, 05:21 PM
What do you get per hour for your maching in your area?

YellowDogSVC
06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
What do you get per hour for your maching in your area?

I'll PM you

kelecz
06-11-2008, 03:40 AM
you can see my old setup at www.brushchipping.com and watch the slides. I havne't taken any pictures with the Cat yet.

In s. Texas, we have cedar. I can mulch ANY sized cedar but it's soft wood. 16" trees, continuous duty on a small machine is a SLOW go. I prefer brush piles and dead wood.
Some just take longer but I routinely mulch 20" cedar stumps that have been uprooted. I did a 20" x30' oak a few weeks ago that had been cut down. I had to mill on it for 40 minutes to get the log reduced to dust. If you don't force the machine into things and let the teeth do the work, you can mulch anything. I'll get some pictures of my stump piles and you can see a side by side. I have some pictures on my websites too.
Yellowdog, do you advice me to buy Cat SSL with HM312? I have option to buy 248, or it is better 277? THX!!!!!!!!!

YellowDogSVC
06-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Yellowdog, do you advice me to buy Cat SSL with HM312? I have option to buy 248, or it is better 277? THX!!!!!!!!!

I only have experience with the 268b, 256c, and 272c. Right now, I'm fighting dust in the cab issues which I haven't been able to resolve. As far as running the mulcher, performance-wise, I don't think you will be disappointed unless you try and use it as a bulldozer. If you take your time, you can mulch as pretty as you want and make a property look nice. I have had good luck milling stumps, especially softer woods, but the mulcher will also eat bigger, hardwoods but the bouncing on those oak stumps can be violent.

I would think you would want as much hp as possible when grinding. Some guys on here recommend torque to keep the hydro pump up. CAT doesn't have much torque compared to other machines but all in all, it does mulch pretty nice and gets good fuel economy. My biggest complaint is the cab sealing and poor A/C performance in 90 degree heat. As I write this, CAT is putting snorkels on my machine for the air cleaner and A/C and doing some other fabrications to keep dust out. They wanted to silicone my windows shut but I don't like that idea.

If you go with a new CAT, make sure you order the debris kit! It's a must have when grinding.

jsbiker
06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
i am working with FAE on a cabair system that will help a lot
clean filtered air blowen into the cab. more cfm than the Cat unit

I like the C model Cat a lot better than the B they have made a lot of good changes

a new head on the market grinds rock, stumps concrete with out a problem and it run on hi-flow skid steers.
runs good to date

YellowDogSVC
06-11-2008, 03:39 PM
I like the C model Cat a lot better than the B they have made a lot of good changes
a

what brand and model do you like the best for grinding with skid steers?

Hummer
06-11-2008, 06:32 PM
i am working with FAE on a cabair system that will help a lot
clean filtered air blowen into the cab. more cfm than the Cat unit

a new head on the market grinds rock, stumps concrete with out a problem and it run on hi-flow skid steers.
runs good to date

So is it FAE that is coming out with this new head that you've mentioned a few times now?

jsbiker
06-11-2008, 08:54 PM
i was told the changes have been made to them and they are being built now
i would think maybe 30 days. call a dealer or the FAE office maybe they can tell you more.
i do know the first unit(a test unit) was sold and is working every day

jsbiker
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
OK YellowDog

skid steers I like to use

Mustang/Gehl 7810/2109, 6640 with Nuair tires and tracks

older Case 95XT with 3500 PSI system and tracks

CAT "A" and "C" with the new steel tracks and bogie wheels

older ASV 4810 with the systems tied to run the head

takeuchi with adon hi-floe (like suppertrac

supertrac sk100, sk120, sk140 steel tracks on 120 1nd 140

ASV RC100 is OK maybe my next to last choice
ASV PT100 dont know a lot about it yet they have made changes to it over the RC100

john deere 332 with after market oil tank and a lot of work to plug all the openings in the cab

i jumped in to this with both feet i think i will have a beer of 2 now :drinkup:

YellowDogSVC
06-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I always wondered how the 7810/2109 performed. Have heard good and bad.

deniscimafinc
06-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I have a customer who has been running our 2nd front-mount unit (DAF-180) since Feb. 2005, on a Gehl 7810. From what I heard from him, he's been very pleased with his skid steer, and with the head. Let me know if you'd like to speak with him... :)

For those who don't know us, our heads are of the fixed-knives type, not carbide. Some will think it's the same technology as Gyro-Trac but actually, Gyro-Trac licenses the technology from us. By the way, I just want to make it clear that Gyro-Trac has been making all its heads and teeth since May 2006. The design is the same (or very close), but the manufacturer is different.

Ok, better go to bed now...

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

MikeAtv
06-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Have they had any trouble with the cab seals on the Cat C series?

YellowDogSVC
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Have they had any trouble with the cab seals on the Cat C series?

Ask me tomorrow.:mad:

YellowDogSVC
06-12-2008, 03:06 PM
I have a customer who has been running our 2nd front-mount unit (DAF-180) since Feb. 2005, on a Gehl 7810. From what I heard from him, he's been very pleased with his skid steer, and with the head. Let me know if you'd like to speak with him... :)

For those who don't know us, our heads are of the fixed-knives type, not carbide. Some will think it's the same technology as Gyro-Trac but actually, Gyro-Trac licenses the technology from us. By the way, I just want to make it clear that Gyro-Trac has been making all its heads and teeth since May 2006. The design is the same (or very close), but the manufacturer is different.

Ok, better go to bed now...

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

As a ballpark, what kind of price are the skid steer heads? Would fixed knives work good on brush piles, stumps, and can they hold up to occasional rocks?
I love my CAT HM312 mulcher but it's slow compared to my chipper. I liked the fixed knife technology and I know a guy who had same mower as me and he swithched to the cimaf style and loves it.

rickinmi
09-30-2008, 08:02 PM
I have heard good things about the cimaf head however I have not had the opportunity to run one yet. I use a Ryan's head, it is new to the market ,(I have the first one). I am very pleased with it and will be purchasing another one as my company grows.

deniscimafinc
10-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Can you post pictures of your mulcher? I'm always curious to see how new competitors designed their mulchers... :)

rickinmi
10-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I have included a couple of pictures, I hope they are helpful.

GWhunter
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Fredric, is Cimaf going to be able to sell heads for track skid steers in the near future? Is the whole gyro trac thing the only holdup? I've been talking with Robbie about a head for a JD 322 I'm planning to buy. The only issue is I need a tracked machine.

Matt T.;)

deniscimafinc
10-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Hello Matt,

I'd like to make it clear, but go figure why, this contract with Gyro-Trac always get more and more complicated over time. :rolleyes:

In that contract with entered with Gyro-Trac, we were to refrain ourselves from selling a front-mount head knowing it would go on:
- any machine from ASV;
- any other tracked machine that is not a skid steer.

Although we thought, and still think, it's common sense in the business to consider a "tracked skid steer" as the same thing as a "compact track loader", we have been placed under a temporary court order last May by which we have to interpret the term "tracked skid steer" as a "wheeled skid steer with add-on tracks". I can't comment further for now.

That said, we will be in Court for the full trial in January. We have hope we'll be able then to have the judge change her mind and have her consider our interpretation is actually the one that makes more sense. But that will be only relevant if the judge does not agree that we rightfully cancelled our contract with Gyro-Trac when we did it in 2006. If the contract is judged as rightfully cancelled by DENIS CIMAF, then GT won't have the right to manufacture heads, rotors or replacement parts that use our technology. And we'll have no more restriction in selling our heads to whoever wants one. That would be paradise at last, after almost 4 years in hell. But I digress...

So, basically, for now, if you want a DENIS CIMAF head, you need to have at least a wheeled skid steer.

If you tell me you only have a tracked skid steer, sorry, a compact track loader, then I won't sell you a head.

If you tell me you have both a wheeled skid steer and a compact track loader, and that you intend to install the head on the compact track loader, I won't sell you a head.

If you tell me you have both a WSS and a CTL and tell me you'll install it on the WSS, then we can do business.

Is that complicated enough? :)

Email me if you have other questions on this delicate subject...

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com
frederic.denis@deniscimaf.com

deniscimafinc
10-02-2008, 09:46 AM
rickinmi,

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a nice machine. The cutting technology is not new (Wag Way and Quadco use something similar) but it's certainly more efficient in vegetation than a carbide hammer.

Funnily enough, We actually worked with Quadco a while back to develop such a drum, but in the end, our test driver still preferred our blades so we thanked Quadco and went our way. Next thing we knew, Quadco came out with their own line of mulchers... :)

Do you know what the teeth are made of? Are they coming from Quadco or are they copies based on Quadco's patent?

Anyway, the best of luck to this new player... As long as they do not interfere too much with our business... :D

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

rickinmi
10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Deniscimaf, I wasnt even aware that quadco was producing a mulching head. And yes those are quadco teeth, however the manufacturer is developing their own teeth that are similiar to a quadco yet totally different if that makes any sense. Do you know if anyone near central Michigan has one of you mulching heads? I would like to see one in operation.

GWhunter
10-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks Frederic for clearing that up. So what if I don't mention that the skid steer is tracked? The 332 is availible in a wheeled version also. I haven't purchased it yet so would you be able to quote? Not trying to put you in a pickle just don't want to get an infearier head.

Matt

deniscimafinc
10-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your continuing interest, GWhunter. :D

Have you considered using a wheeled skid steer with add-on tracks? Or to get a track kit from Loegering? That makes a versatile kit for under the price of a CTL... Well, if you spoke with Robbie, I'm pretty sure you were suggested to consider it... Anyway...

But to answer your question, I cannot put myself in a position where I'll sell a head knowing it will go on something it's not supposed to. So, before you buy the head from me, you'll have to tell me you'll put it on a certain make and model of wheeled skid steer (either with or without add-on tracks). I even request that the customer put in writing that information. I can't take any chance.

Thanks,

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

GWhunter
10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Ok, so if I send a RFQ in writing with the model I would like to put it on would that be ok? I'd really like atleast a quote from you guys.

Matt T.;)

deniscimafinc
10-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Sure, no prob. Basically, for the DAF-180D, you'll need something like a 75-hp skid steer with high flow, which will supply a minimum of 30 gal/min at 3000 psi (or a similarly-powerful combination of flow and pressure). That model is currently listed at 30500$, not including freight.

Knowing this is an industrial-grade machine that has many advantages over the competition (see features of the DAF-180D (http://www.deniscimaf.com/en/products/front-mounted-brushcutter-chippers/daf-180d.html)), you'll understand that, at this price, it's not meant for the gentleman-farmer who only has 100-acre of private lot to clean during his week-ends... :)

Coming up also is the new low-flow head. The prototype will be going to tests in the next weeks. More info on that later...

email-me when you get a chance...

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com
frederic.denis@deniscimaf.com

LARRY STEWART
05-03-2009, 11:10 AM
i've been running a magnum 165 now for over a year. If anyone out there wants to purchase it, let me know, i'd let it go for a song.

i could get interested give me a call.

Larry stewart 620 380 1931