PDA

View Full Version : Light truck tires on trailer?

Jerry and Sons
09-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Just curious who is running light truck tires on there tandem axle trailers. my guys have been smoking through tires very quickly. Brakes have been checked and adjusted properly and bearings are good. spindles good. I have done a search on the subject but have not had any luck. Would appreciate your input.

FANS
09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
on your usage from what I understand. I thought the Special Trailer rating on trailer tires was to allow them to hold their shape if they were parked for long periods of time. If you're pulling the trailer everyday (more than parked) and the load rating is correct I don't see it would be a problem. Just make sure it's allowed by PENNDOT.

Stafford Landscaping
09-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Might want to try checking the air presure in the tires to see if that helps. Just an Idea.

Bigred350
09-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Put some real trailer tires on there.

TLS
09-07-2006, 10:15 PM
LT's will be just fine...As long as you exceed the weight rating of the ones your replacing.

Most of your larger Travel Trailers come with LT tires. Trailer tires don't always come in the correct size/weight rating.

Your running tandem trailers then I guess, right?

The scuffing/scrubbing when turning and backing is what wears them.

Have you measured to see if your axles are aligned correctly?

i_plant_art
09-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Put some real trailer tires on there.

ditto that.. there not too much price difference .. actually cheaper and the trailer will ride better as well.

srl28
09-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Check the height of the hitch and all. If the trailer is too low in the front, the front wears real fast. If it's too high then the front wears, but the rears wear faster. Other than that, less charp turns, less backing up, lighter loads etc...

Ron's Lawncare
09-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I know in Maine if the tires don't say for trailer use they are illegal to use. you can't even use Mobile home tires supposedly they are intended for short term use...

FearThisDeere
09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I would stick with trailer tires because, well they are intended for trailers. Get a good set on there and you should be fine. I would not put LT tires on a trailer as they are not meant for that. Good trailer tires should not burn out quickly.

TLS
09-09-2006, 05:48 AM
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/

Wrangler HT's are what my Fathers Holiday Rambler 36' TT came with from the factory. They are a LT tire listed in the Trailer tire section of Goodyears website.

lawnboy dan
09-09-2006, 07:46 PM
my dad went tru trailer tires like crazy on his camper and switched to car tires and never had another tire related issue.

mag360
09-10-2006, 11:48 AM
We wear the ones on the right pretty fast. Just started doing a rotation quarterly and hoping for the best.

South Florida Lawns
09-10-2006, 02:49 PM
get some goodyear re-groovable trailer tires. They are hands down the best tire you can get.

dc33
09-23-2006, 07:47 PM
I got Marathon tires on mine and wear out at 3,000 miles like clock work. And at $110 each its pissing me off!!!

Im gonna try truck tires too and see how it goes :)

ALarsh
09-23-2006, 07:54 PM
A trailer tire is 6 ply. A light truck tire is 2 ply. I'll stick to trailer tires.

ed2hess
09-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I am getting fed up with these trailer tires also ......3000 miles and the tread is gone. I am not sure why a good size car tire won't hold up......most trailers are run at low mph, for short periods, and light loads. I don't haul any bulldozers on my trailer.

dc33
09-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I am getting fed up with these trailer tires also ......3000 miles and the tread is gone. I am not sure why a good size car tire won't hold up......most trailers are run at low mph, for short periods, and light loads. I don't haul any bulldozers on my trailer.

thats what I figure!
the ply difference is what has been holding me back, but Im sick of this sheat and am going to try the truck tires. Rarely do I ever use the highway, and when I do its for a couple miles and around 55-60 mph tops anyways

ALarsh
09-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Is it worth the risk of losing all your equipment and killing someone because you decided to use a truck tire instead of a trailer tire?

grass_cuttin_fool
09-24-2006, 10:23 AM

I use auto tires on my trailer, my trailer is a tandem with 3500# axles. The main reason I got a 16ft trailer wasnt for the weight but for the lenth. Not counting the trailer. I carry a Z and a walkbehind maybe 1800# and then the handheld equipment maybe 100# and a pushmower... another 100#, So 2000# maybe 2500# max for me most of the time, I dont need tires rated to carry a total payload of 7000 pounds. And far as the law in Va goes...the tires have to be DOT approved and we have an yearly inspection and Ive never been told I cant run auto tires on my trailers

wayne

grasswhacker
09-24-2006, 02:25 PM
I also got tired of trailer tires wearing out and put on regular radial tires. They have worn 3 times as long and seem to have less air loss and flats.

FearThisDeere
09-24-2006, 10:49 PM
I have had my dump trailer for over a year, I use it 2 to 3 times a week, it has the stock tires on them and they have dropped only about 3/32nds in tread. They look brand new. I'll stick to trailer tires as well.