PDA

View Full Version : Walker Model B on hills?

Precision Lawns
09-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Does anyone have any expirience with this particular walker mower on hills? I want to hear about this specific mower please. I mow alot of hills right now with WB's and am looking for advice.

Grits
09-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Walkers are too s-l-o-w. It has been my experience that they are not fast enough and their quality of cut, especially on hills, has a lot that could be improved on. Save your money and buy a Bolens form Lowes. Same quality, just a better cut. Actually, I am just kidding...I have no experience with Walkers...or Bolens. I'm just bored and I have a buzz so I am typing random crap. Sorry. But you have to admit it is rather comical.

Jason Rose
09-08-2006, 12:05 AM
For hills, well Walkers are not fast hill machines. Yes you can do them, but usually not gracefully. They will do up and down, but not angles, sometimes you can only go up by turing around and backing up the hill... Some guys swear that a walker with a 52" or larger deck are like a goat on hills. Iv'e only ran a 48" GHS and a 36" GHS. Neither of which are good on hills. Like I said, they will do them, but you have to take it slow and easy on the sticks. Once you loose traction you are boned.

Envy Lawn Service
09-08-2006, 12:36 AM
I don't think anyone here actually has the model B and I still remain 'floored' by that. I fell in love with the idea of this little mower the first time I saw it on the website.

But I have yet to understand 'why' you can't use the 52" deck with it and why they didn't build it so you could. I also don't understand why they don't offer some of the higher powered Vanguard engines on it also. I'm pretty sure all the way up to 23hp would fit.

Let me know what you find out about it and keep me informed if you buy one.
Any idea on the asking prices for one?

http://www.walkermowers.com/images/MBaction.jpg

Ron's Lawncare
09-08-2006, 07:27 AM
i love my walker it's the best bagging machine on the market.
with that bieng said, if i was not bagging the walker wouldn't be in the top 5 machines. there are much better options for non bagging machines.

Precision Lawns
09-08-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm considering the MB (not GHS) for hills, I've heard that without the GHS holding it down they're a dream on hills. I'm just trying to get more opinions. Thank you for all your input.

2 clowns mowing
09-08-2006, 07:57 AM
walkers don't do hills they won't go forward up hills, but rich mfg, convertible mower. you can ride and if you can't hang on you can flip the handle back and walk behind it. comes with different decks including a brush cutting deck. they were offering last years models at 40% off thats a big savings. check out www.convertiblemowers.com call cathy she will take good care of you

AAELI
09-08-2006, 08:05 AM
I don't think anyone here actually has the model B and I still remain 'floored' by that. I fell in love with the idea of this little mower the first time I saw it on the website.

But I have yet to understand 'why' you can't use the 52" deck with it and why they didn't build it so you could. I also don't understand why they don't offer some of the higher powered Vanguard engines on it also. I'm pretty sure all the way up to 23hp would fit.

Let me know what you find out about it and keep me informed if you buy one.
Any idea on the asking prices for one?

http://www.walkermowers.com/images/MBaction.jpg

I have one! Don't do any hills yet so can't answer the question at the start of the thread. You can use the 56" deck with no problem. The belt drive decks, 52" & 62" are set up just enough different that this models construction will not make a good mate. This is a lower price point tractor for side discharge and mulching only. It does not have the Walker gear drive but a combo gear/hydro drive that may not prove to be quite as durable as their regular gear drives. Time will tell.

I have both a SD48" with breakaway blades and the new DML42A mulcher. I like the ease of use. A little bouncy on the sudden stops but otherwise seems to run faster than the Model T/25Hp I also have.

Prices out here reflect almost $1200 in freight and a 4% tax. This brings them to the $7K neighborhood. I would think they would be available in the states for around $5500 - $6500.

John Gamba
09-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I have one! Don't do any hills yet so can't answer the question at the start of the thread. You can use the 56" deck with no problem. The belt drive decks, 52" & 62" are set up just enough different that this models construction will not make a good mate. This is a lower price point tractor for side discharge and mulching only. It does not have the Walker gear drive but a combo gear/hydro drive that may not prove to be quite as durable as their regular gear drives. Time will tell.

I have both a SD48" with breakaway blades and the new DML42A mulcher. I like the ease of use. A little bouncy on the sudden stops but otherwise seems to run faster than the Model T/25Hp I also have.

Prices out here reflect almost $1200 in freight and a 4% tax. This brings them to the $7K neighborhood. I would think they would be available in the states for around $5500 - $6500.

Hows the new Mulching deck working out??
John

corey1977
09-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I have used walker for 5 years I dont care for there small size im a big guy and need room on the machine the ghs blower robs 2 horse power from the motor ie a 18 hours ghs has 16 with the bagging system

taproot
09-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I have run quite a few different types of mowers and am running walkers lately. I dont care for them one bit. Probably a good mower for flatlanders but here in the mountains they just dont go (funny they are made in Fort Collins, CO i believe). Most people have issues going up hill but i have more issues sideways on a hill. I will say considering all of the grease fittings and parts to wear out, the maintenance has been low.

Precision Lawns
09-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I realize all these posts are for the GHS walker. I'm looking for opinions on the Modle B system (no GHS).
Thank you

AAELI
09-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I like my MB. It does not have the versitility of the GHS models but you should first of all realize the purpose was to provide an entry level price point model for those who only do side discharge or mulching. It does just that quite well.

I do not have any hills currently on my list but will look for a few to try out. I have mowed with the new DML42A mulching deck and do like the performance. I have mowed wet zoysia at 1" with great results. I do however note that when the packed up clippings of more succulent weeds drop in clumps that I have more mess to pick up.

The DML42A has the new heavy duty cast gearboxes instead of the alum. and has bi-level mulching blades in place of the upper and lower blades that the older mulching deck had. They work well.

I mowed a public playground last week that was overgrown to the height of 16"-24" with it and found that at the highest setting, 4", the vegetation, not lawn quality, had to have two passes to get it all down nice and neat. When I slowed down a bit more and set the deck at 2.5" it did well on the first pass.

I have also tried the Side discharge 48 with the breakaway blades on overgrown areas with good results.

As an entry level side discharge ztr I am pleased with getting what I paid for and looking forward to adding a diesel MD next year to the mix.

cshinc
09-09-2006, 08:17 PM
One of the other LCO's has one and uses it primarily for hills. They love it.

edward hedrick
09-09-2006, 08:58 PM
I demoed the Mb at dealers field day, with 48 sd. On the hills I found, when I

backed up it didn't jump as much as my MT-20. going forward went right up.

It was priced at 5400 for show. It is shorter and lighter than MT-20. Around

650# w 48sd. Ed

corey1977
09-09-2006, 08:59 PM
the only thing I dont like about walkers is there are a little slow but ok in the hills I mow in a cemetery

Precision Lawns
09-09-2006, 11:03 PM
how steep would you say the hills you mow with the walker mb are?

bigdaddyspags
03-18-2007, 09:32 PM
bump
bump
bump

lrlawn
03-19-2007, 02:52 AM
Must not be many hills for the Walker owners who did post as I have yet to see the key piece of advice - Drive Backwards.

Walkers are fantastic on hills, provided you learn to drive backwards. I don't run the MB's, using a 20HP and 26 HP GHS instead, but the key on any steep hill with a Walker is to drive backwards. The design has far more traction going backwards than forwards. I do several 8 to 10 degree slopes sideways on the slope going backwards. The machine actually points diagonally (a bit) on the hill and goes straight backwards because as the top tire loses a bit of traction and the bottom grips, It's kind of like a crab scuttling sideways.

Likewise, go backwards uphill. I've hit a few slopes where the back of the machine comes off the ground and scares the (bleep) out of you but the deck keeps it from going further. Likewise, when a bit wet I've slid sideways 8 to 10 feet down the hill, again, scary but no tendency to tip.

That said, I don't plan on an MB. We don't side discharge and Walkers mulch deck is average at best. With that said the MB's should do fine since they don't have the grass catcher attached and they are the same basic design. Use low-pro tires and learn to drive backwards for the steep hills. I can take my GHS Walkers on hills that others with me refuse to tackle without a walkbehind or without using great sweeping back and forth motions (think running a half-pipe on a lawnmower instead of of a snowboard). Even went for a ride down an estimated 14 degree slope for 10 feet into cattails, once (not paying attention backing up and went over the edge) I got the Walker's back end pointed uphill (no minor feat to mow/pick-up and move 180) and the thing climbed right out with the back wheels off the ground all the way. This is the same slope a friend dropped a walkbehind in a few weeks earlier (new property - just learning it) and we had to lift the WB out.

Walkers are great on hills (read the directions, don't pull the central levers back to stop or slow down - you'll go for a real hair rising freewheel down - use the speed control lever instead). But overall they are fairly slow mowers
so think carefully, and maybe demo one for a day first.

farmboy52787
05-12-2007, 04:28 AM
I have a small 11HP 42" Side Discharge walker and it will go anywhere my 26HP 48" GHS wont go. Since there is no bagger theres no weight so the tires have enough traction to go up anything and if that doesnt work, just back up. I would say the MB would work excellent but just keep in mind that the rear wheel will always come up off the ground when stopping or going into reverse. I would like to get one once my 11HP wears out.

shade tree landscaping
05-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I have a walker model b, just out about 20hrs on it, just bought it last week and love it. Mine is an 18hp w/ a 42in mulching deck. I cut a few smaller hills and cuts well on the hills. This thing is fast on the open flat areas, mulchs well in well kept grass, does cut well in weedy lawns, or well in all thick grass. Overall I would recomend this machine, here in NJ I paid $7k out the door with all taxes. Hope this helps you out

edward hedrick
05-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Shadetree: I have a Mb w 48 deck. I had a problem with the eye-bolt

on left counter-weight spring. I used a bathroom scale I found 25 on rite

and 10 on left. I found that the left Eyebolt is too short. I changed it to

a 4" eyebolt. I was able to adjust deck for 20# on each caster.

I mowed my own house after adjustment !00% better cut. Ed

shade tree landscaping
05-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Ed what does adjusting the bolts do for the machine?

edward hedrick
05-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Shade-tree they adjust the down-pressure. I saw that the left side

was floating. On page 19 of owners manuel it calls for 15-25 #

on each caster. I used a scale to measure. I set left loose and rite tight,

11# on left and 20 on right. Eldon from Walker suggested a longer eye bolt.

I tried this and made up an extension Length 41/2" instead of 2". Result-

20# on both casters. Cuts 100% better. The problem is with Walker, the

48,42 and 36 SD decks are not weighted the same as the GHS. Ed

shade tree landscaping
05-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Im gonna give that a try, but mine is not a sd mine is a 42in mulching deck

Jason Rose
05-18-2007, 11:03 PM
I find this interesting too, I had a 48" walker a few years ago and never heard of this... Now I have a little 36" 11hp model that I use for small stuff. I just looked at mine today and noticed that both eyebolts were all the way out. I'm not sure what the "castor weight" should be for a 36" GHS deck though. I know there's not much... The springs suspend the deck in the air when going over hills sometimes, I have to push it down with my feet... But maybe that's normal. I know the springs help transfer deck weight to the drive wheels, and with any walker, the more traction the better!

farmboy52787
05-19-2007, 12:39 AM
With my 42" Side Discharge deck, I usually put a cement block on the deck to hold it down when i do hilly areas since it bounces so much and wont stay down, but my 48" GHS always stays down.

pconley
05-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Find your nearest dealer or distributor and schedule an on site demo @ one of your properties that has hills. When you get comfortable with machine You will find that it will climb very well. Also with different drive system as mentioned earlier it is faster than other Walker models.

Envy Lawn Service
05-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Find your nearest dealer or distributor and schedule an on site demo @ one of your properties that has hills. When you get comfortable with machine You will find that it will climb very well. Also with different drive system as mentioned earlier it is faster than other Walker models.

Are you an owner yourself?
Or are you "affiliated"?
Or both?

Or did you just demo?

edward hedrick
05-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Farmboy: weigh both castors you will find that the left castor is light.

Should be 15- 25# on each. The problem is the 42 and 48 SD decks are not

center weighted. They are about 30# heavier on the rite. Take off the

spring clip. I weighed the deck 55# left, 85 rite. I took the left I bolt added

a 3/8 rod coupling and a piece of 3/8 threaded rod total 4 1/2". The rite one is ok. Adjust both for 20 # on each castor. The GHS deck is center weighted. I own a 48"GHS also. Ed

pconley
05-20-2007, 08:31 PM
ENVY: I am a Walker Dealer here in the northeast. When I have an interested customer I will try to set up a demo for customer to actually get on machine and test. If I don't have model available I call my salesman @ my distributor and he will bring a machine to demo.

Envy Lawn Service
05-20-2007, 08:38 PM
ENVY: I am a Walker Dealer here in the northeast. When I have an interested customer I will try to set up a demo for customer to actually get on machine and test. If I don't have model available I call my salesman @ my distributor and he will bring a machine to demo.

Cool to have a Walker dealer on the forums.
I don't run Walkers, but try to "keep up" with everything that's out there.

Do you know anything at all about the rumored 'Super MB'.