PDA

View Full Version : All these decks with rolled front lips

Envy Lawn Service
09-08-2006, 01:08 AM
OK, here is a topic I don't recall us ever discussing much. So here goes... A lot of commercial mower decks have a rolled under 'lip' on the front deck skirt.

While I'm certain this makes for nice reinforced deck construction... it is also sort of assumed that it also serves other purposes like helping control blowout and assisting with the cut.

However, I'm not sure I'm personally sold on anything more than the construction part. I'm not sure they help performance at all. But I do know they make for a nice 'trap' point under the deck that's good for transporting trapped clippings from one lawn to the next.

So I personally always check this area between the baffles and the skirt with lip for anything up in there. I just knock it out onto the trailer floor and throw it away or let it blow away on the way to the next one.

With this said, I've considered blocking such areas off more than once to stop anything from getting in, but I've never gotten around to actually doing one. But it has been VERY WET here lately and I'm trying a little something off the wall as a preliminary check to see how it would do. Instead of removing those clippings, I've been packing them in where they can't fall out in order to fill the void area.

I know I can't just leave that stuff right in there like that. But I am working on getting the better part of it completely filled just to see if it hurts performance at all before trying to make something to block it off.

What are your thoughts on the performance aspect of these lips and trap spaces?

sperho
09-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Granted it isn't a commercial mower, but I have a Snapper Hi-Vac (33", single blade) and it's the best dang yard vacuum cleaner (with a bagger attached)I've ever used...

fyshstykr
09-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Granted it isn't a commercial mower, but I have a Snapper Hi-Vac (33", single blade) and it's the best dang yard vacuum cleaner (with a bagger attached)I've ever used...

:hammerhead: :confused:

TLS
09-08-2006, 07:39 AM
I think you need this OPEN space between the front skirt (rolled under or not) and your inner baffle. Closing this off will negate the purpose of this space.

I didn't think the LESCO deck skirt was rolled under?

sperho
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM

The deck on the Snapper has a "rolled under lip". Not only on the front but on the whole circumference.

Maybe I don't know what Envy is really describing.

mowtech
09-08-2006, 06:37 PM
On high velocity decks the lip under the front edge of the deck does help eliminate or reduce blowout. That's really why it is there. The added strength is just an additional benefit. If the lip were not required to improve blow out most designers would choose to strengthen the front of the deck in other ways for the reasons Envy mentions--it's a debris trap. As for blocking the space between the lip and the baffles, the reasons this is not done are the added cost for perhaps minimal benefit and the belief that clippings could still get behind there making it even harder to clean out.

Idealtim
09-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I've noticed that lip, I do know what your talking about. I just thought it was for deck strength. Then, a few weeks after I've had the mower, I sharpened blades and greased the spindles, only to find clump city under there, took me 20 minutes to scrape all of it off.

Nosmo
09-08-2006, 09:49 PM
It was about 1980 when I had a much smaller yard and a
3-1/2" HP High Wheel push mower. I welded angle iron all around the lip area of the deck. It certainly improved the vacuum and discharge of the clippings.

Nosmo

Envy Lawn Service
09-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Well...

I allowed that area to FILL UP and the better part of it packed full with clippings during this wet period. So far I really have not been able to tell a difference, but I've also been running a different style of blade so it is hard to say. (gator blades)

The funny part I have noticed is that it seems to have helped some with the leaf blow away problem. This area was extremely dry and we were already experiencing 'drought leaf drop'. When all these hard rains came it beat a bunch of them on out and put them on the ground faster. I have certainly noticed I haven't had to chase the leaves as much.

This might turn out to be useful ammo for fall.

I may make myself a set of baffling and roll the bottom into an L shape to fit underneath and fold over towards the front to cover the open area sorta like L] and leave no way for stuff to get in there.

captken
09-09-2006, 12:34 AM
will make perfect smoke rings when you exhale your cigarette smoke...the tounge comes into play here.....do you guys actually mow and run a business and have time to post about rolled lips?*trucewhiteflag*

captken
09-09-2006, 12:38 AM
I've noticed that lip, I do know what your talking about. I just thought it was for deck strength. Then, a few weeks after I've had the mower, I sharpened blades and greased the spindles, only to find clump city under there, took me 20 minutes to scrape all of it off.

Mowing lips and the city dump! :drinkup:

captken
09-09-2006, 12:40 AM

Mowing lips and the city dump! :drinkup: It's all in fun Envy....hello, been a while....too busy to post, been growing my business., kenny:weightlifter: